Britain's actions in Ireland

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9313
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2017, 14:15

This looks like it could be a riveting, and very important, documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/n ... ounty-down

It is disgusting that Britain is still refusing to acknowledge some of its violent covert activity in Ireland. The Irish people still have every right to be angry about this.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11162
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Rayge » 03 Nov 2017, 14:24

The Modernist wrote:This looks like it could be a riceting, and very important, documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/n ... ounty-down

It is disgusting that Britain is still refusing to acknowledge some of its violent covert activity in Ireland. The Irish people still have every right to be angry about this.

Of course they do. Britain has been fucking over the Irish for centuries. Of course, the history of England, then Britain, and its brigandage and imperialism has stunk the world out since the Tudors, but its treatment of its neighbours has just about been the worse. Fuck Britain, fuck the monarchy and fuck the killers who have served them.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14952
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2017, 14:30

Did you see the programme on Bobby Sands the other night? I switched over to that from the one about the Balfour Declaration so I wouldn't shout at the screen.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13765
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Jimbo » 03 Nov 2017, 14:36

Jimboesque story. He calls it "collusion."
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

User avatar
Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14064
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 03 Nov 2017, 14:37

Belle Lettre wrote:Did you see the programme on Bobby Sands the other night? I switched over to that from the one about the Balfour Declaration so I wouldn't shout at the screen.


I did, yeah. I really enjoyed it.

What interested me was the idea of the IRA wanting a martyr, 'cos any violent activity they were involved in (gunning down people on their doorstep, setting off bombs in city centres) never resulted in one of their own dying. And Sands was absolutely committed to his final act.
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Nov 2017, 14:41

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:Did you see the programme on Bobby Sands the other night? I switched over to that from the one about the Balfour Declaration so I wouldn't shout at the screen.


I did, yeah. I really enjoyed it.

What interested me was the idea of the IRA wanting a martyr, 'cos any violent activity they were involved in (gunning down people on their doorstep, setting off bombs in city centres) never resulted in one of their own dying. And Sands was absolutely committed to his final act.


The RA killed plenty of their own and fellow catholics, from the days of Collins, straight through to today.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14952
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2017, 14:42

Yes,JC, there was a lot I didn't know.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11882
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Geezee » 03 Nov 2017, 14:45

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:Did you see the programme on Bobby Sands the other night? I switched over to that from the one about the Balfour Declaration so I wouldn't shout at the screen.


I did, yeah. I really enjoyed it.

What interested me was the idea of the IRA wanting a martyr, 'cos any violent activity they were involved in (gunning down people on their doorstep, setting off bombs in city centres) never resulted in one of their own dying. And Sands was absolutely committed to his final act.


Yep, it was very good. Very interesting background to the history of hunger strikes in Ireland as well.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Nov 2017, 14:52

I can't comment on this without sounding bitter, which I'm really not. Today’s Britian/England can’t really be blamed for their past, but an acknowledgement would be nice. The amount of Irish that died from rebellion and famine is fucking atrocious, holocaust can be used. We were considered subhuman and there was a mentality of “if they die, they die”. The British were shipping out meat and whatever food during the famine back to England while the Irish starved around them. There was religious persecution as well in the same vain as you see today. However the people that irk me the most are we the Irish people. We don’t want to remember the famine or make a national day of it or anything like that. One million people died. That was like ¼ of the population. The thing is if you mention or want to remember the famine, you’re straight away an IRA supporter or a republican and no one wants to be associated with those cunts, so you say nothing. It’s sad that those deaths aren’t remembered on a national scale except for a small ceremony in Dublin.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30226
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Nov 2017, 15:07

The Great Defector wrote:However the people that irk me the most are we the Irish people. We don’t want to remember the famine or make a national day of it or anything like that. One million people died. That was like ¼ of the population. The thing is if you mention or want to remember the famine, you’re straight away an IRA supporter or a republican and no one wants to be associated with those cunts, so you say nothing. It’s sad that those deaths aren’t remembered on a national scale except for a small ceremony in Dublin.


Why do you think that is Markus?
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Nov 2017, 15:38

Goat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:However the people that irk me the most are we the Irish people. We don’t want to remember the famine or make a national day of it or anything like that. One million people died. That was like ¼ of the population. The thing is if you mention or want to remember the famine, you’re straight away an IRA supporter or a republican and no one wants to be associated with those cunts, so you say nothing. It’s sad that those deaths aren’t remembered on a national scale except for a small ceremony in Dublin.


Why do you think that is Markus?


The RA aren't as popular as people outside of Ireland may think. They're a shower of cunts. Collins created them to rebel, and it started out with good intentions. However during the civil war they were killing "civilians" for being touts with little to no evidence, and these were the real first of the disappeared. So to be called a "Ra merchant" simply because you want to remember, properly, the famine would be seen as an insult. Genuinely a small percentage of people support the RA.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9313
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2017, 15:48

The Great Defector wrote: So to be called a "Ra merchant" simply because you want to remember, properly, the famine would be seen as an insult. Genuinely a small percentage of people support the RA.


Who would say that though? Unionists?

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Nov 2017, 15:49

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: So to be called a "Ra merchant" simply because you want to remember, properly, the famine would be seen as an insult. Genuinely a small percentage of people support the RA.


Who would say that though? Unionists?


No I'm not talking about NI, I'm talking about in the republic. We would make fun of each other.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34411
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby yomptepi » 03 Nov 2017, 17:10

Belle Lettre wrote:Yes,JC, there was a lot I didn't know.


:|
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14952
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2017, 17:13

:x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22472
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Deebank » 03 Nov 2017, 19:02

For the sake of context I don’t think the British ruling class perpetrated any outrage in Ireland that they wouldn’t have inflicted on the working classes of wales, Scotland and England - especially but not exclusively the Catholics therein - given the opportunity.

Erm, discuss...
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 5613
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby John aka Josh » 03 Nov 2017, 22:44

Rayge wrote:Of course they do. Britain has been fucking over the Irish for centuries. Of course, the history of England, then Britain, and its brigandage and imperialism has stunk the world out since the Tudors, but its treatment of its neighbours has just about been the worse. Fuck Britain, fuck the monarchy and fuck the killers who have served them.



The rot set in with the Normans. They just didn't do much outside of England, being to busy doing it to the Anglo Saxons & British.
Image

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11162
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Rayge » 03 Nov 2017, 22:57

John aka Josh wrote:
Rayge wrote:Of course they do. Britain has been fucking over the Irish for centuries. Of course, the history of England, then Britain, and its brigandage and imperialism has stunk the world out since the Tudors, but its treatment of its neighbours has just about been the worse. Fuck Britain, fuck the monarchy and fuck the killers who have served them.



The rot set in with the Normans. They just didn't do much outside of England, being to busy doing it to the Anglo Saxons & British.


Yeah, I agree. It was under the Tudors that they started looking for fresh fields to despoil.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22633
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby Copehead » 03 Nov 2017, 23:04

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:This looks like it could be a riceting, and very important, documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/n ... ounty-down

It is disgusting that Britain is still refusing to acknowledge some of its violent covert activity in Ireland. The Irish people still have every right to be angry about this.

Of course they do. Britain has been fucking over the Irish for centuries. Of course, the history of England, then Britain, and its brigandage and imperialism has stunk the world out since the Tudors, but its treatment of its neighbours has just about been the worse. Fuck Britain, fuck the monarchy and fuck the killers who have served them.


May the whores of the empire like awake in their beds
And sweat as the count out the sins on their heads
while over in Ireland 8 more men lie dead
Kicked in and shot in the back of the head
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9313
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Britain's actions in Ireland

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2017, 23:18

I don't know why you're all talking about what happened 500 years ago. That misses the point about this being recent history with consequences that are still very raw now.