62%
O
38%

Total votes: 13

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Re: Stan vs Ollie

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 03 Nov 2017, 21:20

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Do you have a favourite short or film Ray?

Yeah. Way Out West and Sons of the Desert are my favorite features. As for the shorts, I love so many, but I'm particularly fond of the escalating tit for tat ones, any where Stan gets drunk - ah, I like em all. Special mentions off the top of my head for Busy Bodies, Them Thar Hills, Tit for Tat, Perfect Day, Towed in the Hole, Laughing Gravy (especially the silent version), County Hospital, Brats, Twice Two, The Fixer-Uppers, Night Owls, Blotto...

Couldn't agree more, Rayge. I'd just want to add the laughing scene with L&H in Fra Diavolo, IMHO that's just after Stan got totally plastered whilst filling bottles of wine from a casket - he used the time slot between changing bottles to insert the tube into his mouth, to avoid any spilling.

But as per usual, at the end of this laughing session, Stan unwillingly uttered something that had to be kept secret at all costs.

So, great danger was again on the horizon.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Stan vs Ollie

Postby Moleskin » 03 Nov 2017, 22:06

Rayge wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:This isn't how Stan and Ollie saw it.

Do tell.

The two of them were both essentially playing children, applying child-like logic to (more or less) adult situations. They are both innocents, and neither is very bright. They generally start out well-meaning, but are overcome by incompetence, and both have an instinct for destruction. Yes Ollie is slightly more inclined to pomposity and to give himself airs in front of Stan, and to be shy and gauche with ladies, etc and Stan to be more innocent and vacuous – they play to their strengths – but they are essentially two halves of the same character. Although they often fight and squabble, often splendidly, we are not meant to take sides, or see one as more likeable or funny than the other, while they are always together, more or less inseparable in terms of screen time - we see them in the same bed in Laughing Gravy, married to each other in Twice Two, wearing the same pair of outsize trousers in Pack up Your Trouble, and so on, they are often literally yoked together. Ollie's catchphrases - That's Another Fine Mess You've Gotten Me Into, Now Look What You Made Me Do, Why Don't You Do Something to HELP Me - define this relationship, along with Stan's I Didn't Mean to Do It.
Anyway, time's getting on and I could pseud for Jupiter on this subject, so I'll shut up now.

Beautifully put. You can bore on about them as much as you like so far as I'm concerned.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music