Louis CK, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Re: sexual assault - Woody Allen back in the news

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 19 Jan 2018, 14:38

Ok.
But Woody Allen's plots about the same age difference are creepy - you said. What's the difference between my parents age difference and that of Woody?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jan 2018, 14:52

Moleskin wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:I find it weird that there's actors now that have worked with him recently that are distancing themselves from him. Like, when they were working with him they still knew what had allegedly happened. The only difference now is that people are talking about it more, so now they have to distance themselves from him. I find their efforts a little redundant.

There's long been something a bit creepy about his plots - young girl with older man - going all the way back to 'Manhattan' (*); a lot of the relationships in the films could be verging on abuse given the disparity in ages between leading man and leading lady.

* even Diane Keaton was 10 years younger.

A lot hangs on that 'allegedly', but his relationship with Soon-Yi is absolutely problematic if you want to avoid art made by monstrous men.

I think if you look at lots of lead actor and actress romantic leads, there are tons of way older guys and younger leading ladies who develop a romantic relationship in movies. I think that's been going on for years in Hollywood movies. Allen has taken that age disparity in some of his movies a little further.

I don't have the energy to research it, but I'm pretty sure that would be true. That's no comment on the rightness or wrongness of it, just that it's not really that big a Hollywood anomaly.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 19 Jan 2018, 14:54

perhaps 'creepy' was the wrong word.
Last edited by Moleskin on 19 Jan 2018, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Jan 2018, 14:56

I think your statement is a victim of different time, different views on things like this.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jan 2018, 17:27

Re: age differences in couples, and I think Minnie might be surprised on reading this regarding what I've written in some past posts.

My grandmother and grandfather had a 25 year difference - she was his legal secretary when they got married when she was very young. They divorced, but from what I understand, it's because he went a little kooky during the Depression and it wasn't because of the relationship.

Also, a good friend of mine married her college professor and there's a 20+ year difference. They've been married for almost 30 years now and she became stepmom to his two kids when she was around 23 or so.

But I'll equate this to a discussion I had with some friends a few years back. I don't know how we got on the subject, but one of my friends (I think I baited him a little) said he'd be really discouraged if his daughters dated and married a black guy. I called him on it and told him I was godfather to my nephew, who's half black and white. I told him if his daughter loved the guy and he treated her right, what's the problem? I went off a little.

A few minutes later you could tell he had thought about it and said his cousin was married to a Hispanic guy and they were very happy together.

I think we look askance at anything that's outside of our little boxes - it's natural, but whether it's a Jew marrying a Catholic, Black marrying white or whatever ethnicity, man marrying man or woman marrying woman, or heck, if I fall in love with a little person, and we're happy, it doesn't matter.

I dated some younger women when I was in my 20s and I just didn't have much in common with them, but that was me. As long as the relationship isn't exploitative and both people are getting into it for the right reasons - and they're aware of the social pitfalls, but love each other so much that they figure they can withstand them together, then it's all good.

Minnie comes across as protective of her mom and dad, as most of us are, because she loved/loves her mom and dad with all the good characteristics and faults. Heck, that's family.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 20 Jan 2018, 10:58

This is another trial by media. As was said, this was tried and tested 25 years ago. Whatever you may think, if Woody has no charges against him, then the thing should just be left alone.
I really don't see what relevance adult couple age differences have on the case either. However distasteful a 65 year old being in a relationship with a 25 year old might be to some people, it doesn't mean that the man (or the woman if it was the other way around) are keen on messing with pre-pubescents.
As sloop said, hollywood has always given older leading men, younger partners. Not just Hollywood either, I remember watching On The Buses as a kid and being confused as to how the ugly old Jack character could get all these young women.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 20 Jan 2018, 18:27

What I do find creepy is someone taking nude photographs of their partners 17 year old adoptive daughter.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Jan 2018, 19:33

Jeemo wrote:What I do find creepy is someone taking nude photographs of their partners 17 year old adoptive daughter.

I thought about that. Pretty unexcusable. I tried to cover that by my use of "exploitative" in my post.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Jan 2018, 23:25

This was an interesting read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/i-read-decades-of-woody-allens-private-notes-hes-obsessed-with-teenage-girls/2018/01/04/f2701482-f03b-11e7-b3bf-ab90a706e175_story.html?utm_term=.d2488356543f

There was also a 10 year age difference between my folks. My mom was 17, pops 27 when they got together. They were married for 26 years, and would still be today if he were alive. Just throwing that out there...

Anyway... I've long been a Woody Allen fan, but I think 'creepy' is definitely a worthy decriptor for him. Whether or not he molested Dylan seems kind of irrelevant to me. She obviously believes he did, and that makes me very sad for her.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jan 2018, 22:00

This is harrowing. I feel so sorry for this young women along with the rest of them.

https://deadspin.com/mattie-larson-to-l ... 1822348327

And good for Aly Raisman. She is intent on taking down all of the US Gymnastics organization. Three board member quit yesterday.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 01 Feb 2018, 17:50

Yes, that's appalling to watch unfold.

Also, I agree with the public defender that wrote this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... sentencing

The judge was out of order.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 01 Feb 2018, 19:09

sloopjohnc wrote:This is harrowing. I feel so sorry for this young women along with the rest of them.

https://deadspin.com/mattie-larson-to-l ... 1822348327

And good for Aly Raisman. She is intent on taking down all of the US Gymnastics organization. Three board member quit yesterday.

The first couple of paragraphs made me nauseous.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Feb 2018, 18:11

Larry Nassar is being tried in another trial in another county and a video going around of a dad whose three daughters were all abused by Nassar.

He swears in court and the judge tells him not to, but he can make a statement.

The father asks for five minutes alone with Nassar. The judge refuses. The father asks for one minute. The judge refuses.

The father rushes the defendant's table, but they subdue him before he can get to Nassar.

I really, really wanted the dad to get to Nassar.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 02 Feb 2018, 18:30

Yeah I just saw that. I can understand Dad wanting to do it, but I certainly didn't want him to get to him. The whole thing is bad enough without additional tricoteuse.

Also, the judge in the previous trial has assisted in the creation of a courtroom environment with a vague spark of unregulated vengeance and I'm sure that hadn't escaped the notice of those attending today. Unacceptable.

Dr Markus wrote:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Feb 2018, 19:55

sloopjohnc wrote:Larry Nassar is being tried in another trial in another county and a video going around of a dad whose three daughters were all abused by Nassar.

He swears in court and the judge tells him not to, but he can make a statement.

The father asks for five minutes alone with Nassar. The judge refuses. The father asks for one minute. The judge refuses.

The father rushes the defendant's table, but they subdue him before he can get to Nassar.

I really, really wanted the dad to get to Nassar.

I remember reading one dad commited suicide because he didn't believe his daughter.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2018, 14:49

An interesting, and pertinent, read.

http://quillette.com/2018/01/31/nobodys ... ha-geimer/
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 14:55

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43127969

Channel 4 documentary accuses Harvey Weinstein of physical assault

Should be interesting to watch. I'm folk outside Eire/UK can get it on the DL somewhere.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Mar 2018, 17:41

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43255288

Harvey Weinstein statue appears in Hollywood ahead of Oscars

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Mar 2018, 11:28

http://www.dailyedge.ie/katy-perry-kissed-american-idol-contestant-3904594-Mar2018/

Katy Perry gave a teenage American Idol contestant his first kiss and it was pretty inappropriate

Double standards by Katy?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Mar 2018, 13:00

Dr Markus wrote:http://www.dailyedge.ie/katy-perry-kissed-american-idol-contestant-3904594-Mar2018/

Katy Perry gave a teenage American Idol contestant his first kiss and it was pretty inappropriate

Double standards by Katy?

From the article:

Katy Perry and ABC did not respond to requests for comments after the NY Times got in touch with them, but an apology really wouldn’t go amiss in the current climate.

She said "sorry" right afterward. Perhaps whoever wrote that just wasn't paying attention.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.