Louis CK, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Kevin Spacey's statement

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 16:38

Twang wrote:Stopped after the first paragraph

Yeah probably. But like JC I'm still surprised it's caused so much outrage.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 30 Oct 2017, 16:40

The Modernist wrote:He's going to get attacked for this too? Is everything the guy says now going to get trawled over so we can sit in judgement over it?

Me personally, I don't care. I was just quoting that article because I have a feeling it will be brought up by someone in the media. He's a good actor, and show business is extremely cutthroat. Few people succeed on valor alone. My little editorial comment just meant that it was a lame thing to admit, stealing an invitation from a sleeping woman's purse because it was there for the taking, and that if people start haranguing him for it, that's on him. He technically mugged her, even if she didn't realize it until afterwards. That was a pretty sleazy thing to do, but I guess after you've raked in X millions of dollars, it's okay to admit it. Besides, she was probably up past her bedtime anyway, so what difference does it make to her? Was she trying to audition for Jack Lemmon? Were her career opportunities on the line? No? Maybe? No way we'll ever find out? Well, then, there you go. Priorities.

Besides, we all know how the Internet Outrage Industrial Complex operates - give it a month or three, people will find something else to clutch their pearls over. "Who's Kathy Griffin? Oh yeah, her. What did she do again? Yeah? Oh, well... ummm..."
Last edited by zoomboogity on 30 Oct 2017, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 16:53

Well it seems to me you're a part of the Internet Outrage Industrial Complex if you're going to dig up that anecdote and comment on it in the way you did.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 30 Oct 2017, 17:01

I'm not outraged, I just took notice. I'd first heard that comment years ago. I didn't dig it up this morning, I remember it from when I first heard it. I'm no more "part of the Internet Outrage Industrial Complex" than you or anyone else posting on this thread. I'm not sticking a microphone in his face and demanding answers, I'm not calling up the studio to demand he lose his job, I'm not standing in front of his home and protesting. We're pretty small potatoes in comparison to what these people have to deal with.

But since we're on the subject, yeah, stealing something out of an old woman's purse while she's sleeping IS a sleazy thing to do. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Oct 2017, 17:34

Quite seriously here - and a number of BCBers know this story already - but I was introduced by a friend to KS around this time (87?)
He was in London in that same production of A Long Days Journey at the Haymarket.
He was charming and polite and - despite no come-on from me in any way whatsoever beyond hospitable friendliness, as he was at my flat - he did read Shakespearean love poetry to me and made a pass at me.
I said I wasn't really interested and he was completely accepting of that and slightly apologetic at misreading the situation. We carried on our conversation as though it hadn't happened.

I was 10 years older than this fellow though. I was 24.
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Oct 2017, 18:20

I don't see how you handle this sort of thing much better.
I mean, he doesn't deny the event, he apologizes (sort of) and admits being gay (as opposed to denying it or refusing to talk about it)
something like this is bound to be clumsy but I think, with all these sorts of things going on, he's certainly handled it as well as anybody.

maybe in a week or two somebody will have done a better job - we'll see.
Inka Dinka Doo

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Oct 2017, 18:25

I mean everyone knew he was gay, it's like the worst possible time to finally start talking about it when you're accused of trying it on with a child. I personally think he'd have come out of that statement better without the coming out.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 30 Oct 2017, 18:27

He’s killing two birds with the same stone and trying to deflect from the obvious damning story. ( the other bird is the huge number of online stories discussing his predatory nature ).
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Oct 2017, 18:41

I suppose you’re right. Only Louis CK has more rumors going around.
Inka Dinka Doo

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Oct 2017, 18:45

The Red Heifer wrote:I mean everyone knew he was gay

Seriously, they didn't.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Robert

Postby Robert » 30 Oct 2017, 18:46

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Oct 2017, 18:56

R. Swipe wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
It could be both admission and deflection. It's easy to be cynical and maybe I'm predisposed to that. Maybe it just is the former but it's an odd statement to make and it's not one that wouldn't have been run by PR teams first you know?

I think he was just trying to be honest and deal with things as directly as he could.

That's how it strikes me too.

There is, of course, always a tendency to give people like Spacey the benefit of the doubt (and conversely, have the knives sharpened for Trump), because of personal bias, what these people mean to us. But some of the reactions I've seen today to this have shocked me - and that includes 'respected' sources like the Telegraph.

I've just read Rapp's original statement again and it sounds like an ugly experience for him. But 'sexual assault' - the phrase has been used in most articles covering this story today and it covers a broad spectrum - we need to be clear what it means in each context.

The thing as well is that he says he invited him to the party which hints at something even darker.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 30 Oct 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Oct 2017, 19:04

Diamond Dog wrote:

Seriously, they didn't.

Really? I guess you had to do a little reading between the lines but I thought it was pretty obvious.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Oct 2017, 19:12

Fonz wrote:the huge number of online stories discussing his predatory nature ).

Am I the only one completely unaware of this? I'm only seeing the current ones. Does he have a long history?
Jimbo wrote:If the experts say Flu is apples and Covid is oranges, shit, they're both fruits. Still pretty damn close.

Jimbo wrote:This bullshit is horseshit.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Oct 2017, 19:17

The Red Heifer wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Seriously, they didn't.

Really? I guess you had to do a little reading between the lines but I thought it was pretty obvious.

I don't mean me - I mean 'everyone'. It's very clear from social media today that many were completely unaware, even quite a few in his own industry.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 30 Oct 2017, 19:18

toomanyhatz wrote:
Fonz wrote:the huge number of online stories discussing his predatory nature ).

Am I the only one completely unaware of this? I'm only seeing the current ones. Does he have a long history?

Since Weinstein ‘broke’ there have been more than a few Spacey stories that don’t paint a nice picture. Seems like there’s a long history.
The internet, eh.
Heyyyy!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Oct 2017, 19:19

When he hosted the Tony Awards - it seemed pretty “ open secret” to me. That’s the Tony’s for ya.
Last edited by Sneelock on 30 Oct 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Inka Dinka Doo

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 30 Oct 2017, 19:19

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Seriously, they didn't.

I don't mean me - I mean 'everyone'. It's very clear from social media today that many were completely unaware, even quite a few in his own industry.

I find it hard to believe that people in his own industry didn’t know.
Heyyyy!

Flowere
hounds people off the board

Postby Flowere » 30 Oct 2017, 19:22

Some of those statements are absolutely fucking stupid and some people are really overstepping the line.

It's as if the fact that their anger over injustices they themselves suffered gives them carte blanche to gleefully attack someone who did one wrong thing 30 years ago. I mean, have some perspective - he's hardly a 'child molester'.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 30 Oct 2017, 19:22

I didn't know until I first heard of The Slider Wooing