sexual assault

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Geezee

Re: sexual assault

Postby Geezee » 23 Nov 2017, 15:17

Personally I don't think there has been an overreaction in any way whatsoever, or at least, if there is an overreaction it is because there has been 200,000 years of underreaction that precedes it.

Ultimately, I think everyone with half a brain is able to understand the difference between rape versus various other transgressions that have been reported - people aren't being tarnished with the same brush, nor do I believe that people equate what Weinstein is alleged to have done (and already admitted he's done) versus what is generally being classified as inappropriate behaviour. The fact of the matter is that all these men got away with appalling behaviour - and indeed many have admitted this - and their companies a) buried their heads in the sand b) actively covered up c) did not provide adequate mechanisms to prevent/address it or d) all of the above.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 29 Nov 2017, 16:02

When the BBC post

Matt Lauer: NBC sacks star Today Show host over sex allegation

Do many people outside of the US know who he is? Are we getting to the stage where, despite just being a star in the US, it's still a big story.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Nov 2017, 17:02

This morning, they announced on the Today Show that longtime host, Matt Lauer, has been fired because of some transgressions. Savanah Guthrie, one of the other hosts was pretty shaken having to read the news they had only handed her moments before.

The Today Show is a venerable morning news/interview/entertainment show and has been on NBC since the early '60s. The hosts have become institutions, Lauer being one.

That's three big media personalities gone: Bill O'Reilly, Charlie Rose and now, Matt Lauer. These are all guys with big followings, a large amount being women, especially with Rose and Lauer.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Nov 2017, 17:04

The Great Defector wrote:When the BBC post

Matt Lauer: NBC sacks star Today Show host over sex allegation

Do many people outside of the US know who he is? Are we getting to the stage where, despite just being a star in the US, it's still a big story.

He's like the morning show version of David Letterman or Johnny Carson. He's probably been host for nearly 20 years and had been given all the important interviews by NBC, one of the three main networks.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 29 Nov 2017, 17:24

Strangely enough, the Today Show has been unutterably terrible for, oh, about 20 years now.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 29 Nov 2017, 17:31

And now Garrison Keillor gets the axe.

The hits keep coming!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Nov 2017, 17:32

Still Baron wrote:Strangely enough, the Today Show has been unutterably terrible for, oh, about 20 years now.

It was when Joe Garagiola left, wasn't it?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Nov 2017, 17:33

Still Baron wrote:And now Garrison Keillor gets the axe.

He always seemed a little off to me anyway.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Nov 2017, 19:45

It's turned epidemic here down under too- Don Burke, the star of a gardening show since the nineties has been accused by several people including swimming star Susie O'Neill of 'inappropriate behavior'- he defended himself in a bizarre TV-interview blaming some of the incidents on him having Aspergers!
Now Geoffrey Rush is being accused of something happening during his last tenure at the Sydney Theater Company- they came out with a statement but never told the actor and his lawyer what the incident was.

And I have no idea who Matt Lauer is but he was the lead story this morning in the radio news.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Nov 2017, 20:26

deleted. it's in yesterdays news.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 30 Nov 2017, 14:30

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42070575

Why so many sexual harassment cases in US, not UK?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Dec 2017, 12:27

Of course if a boss threatens a worker's job if they don't put out is totally fucked up but in the "lesser'" offense category like Al Frankin's or whoever, if patting a woman's butt is going to be a thing I'd like to posit that women who wear sexy clothing like low cut dresses should be censured as well. I was reminded of this watching the Grammy Awards and some of the ladies dresses where revealing enough to turn me on a little bit. Well and harrumph! ! I say if they dress like that for their partners and at home that would be fine but to flaunt their breasts in like that public is sexually offensive, is it not?
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 03 Dec 2017, 12:46

fuck off Jimbo.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 03 Dec 2017, 12:49

Ignore him
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Dec 2017, 13:00

Think I'd get in trouble if I wore trousers that had holes cut to expose not my entire dick but just my balls?

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 13:05

Jimbo wrote:Think I'd get in trouble if I wore trousers that had holes cut to expose not my entire dick but just my balls?

Bulimics might like it.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Dec 2017, 13:24

Thang-y wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Think I'd get in trouble if I wore trousers that had holes cut to expose not my entire dick but just my balls?

Bulimics might like it.

1. I don't get it.
2. You were ordered to ignore me.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 13:27

Jimbo wrote:1. I don't get it.

They're all for puking their guts empty.

Jimbo wrote:2. You were ordered to ignore me.

I was? Good to know.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Dec 2017, 13:30

Thang-y wrote:
Jimbo wrote:1. I don't get it.

They're all for puking their guts empty.

Jimbo wrote:2. You were ordered to ignore me.

I was? Good to know.

I get it and I did chuckle. But my balls are not disgusting. They look like walnuts. Someone might look at them and think of a sundae topped with my balls!

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 13:32

*green vomity emoticon*