sexual assault

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

sexual assault

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 15:17

Last edited by !!VAPRANT!! on 21 Nov 2017, 14:44, edited 4 times in total.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Kevin Spacey's statement

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Oct 2017, 15:24

Well, that's one way to come out.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Oct 2017, 15:28

Yeah, I maybe drunkenly tried to fuck a 14 year old.

Oh by the way I'm gay everybody!

Sincerely, Kevin.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 15:30

Ah, I dunno. He could have phrased the whole thing better. There was no need to mention his sexuality at all.

But I really don't get why he's being attacked as much as he has.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Oct 2017, 15:32

Why do you think he mentioned it?

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 15:34

I don't know.

Have you seen Owen Jones' Tweet?

Oh wow. Kevin Spacey deflecting from attempting to molest a child by coming out as gay is the absolute pits.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 30 Oct 2017, 15:39

Well, precisely. He sexually assaulted a 14 year old. For once, OJones is right.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 30 Oct 2017, 15:41

http://www.hollywood.com/general/kevin- ... e-59541361

Movie star Kevin Spacey has a stolen party invite to thank for helping him land his dream stage role opposite the legendary Jack Lemmon early on in his career. The House of Cards star was a young thespian working in a theatre production of Hurlyburly in New York in the mid-1980s when he heard director Jonathan Miller was going to be in the city to hold tryouts for a planned version of Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night, starring Lemmon in the lead role.

Spacey was desperate to play the part of Lemmon’s onstage son, but reveals he had no way to score an audition – until he stole an invite for a party with Miller from an elderly guest at a lecture series the filmmaker was hosting.

He says, “This is a true story, I don’t make this up – I was sitting in my seat, terrified, thinking, ‘How am I going to f**king meet him…?’

“There was an elderly woman sitting next to me… and she was sleeping. And I happened to look down, and sticking outside of her purse on the ground was an invitation to a cocktail reception in honour of Dr. Jonathan Miller. And I thought, ‘You know, she’s tired.’ So I leaned down, I took this invitation and I went to this cocktail reception…”

The daring move gave Spacey the chance to introduce himself to Miller at the party and he managed to talk his way into an audition, which led to him performing in front of Lemmon himself.

He recalls, “I’ll never forget, I did four scenes with Jack, this man who had meant so much to me, was a huge idol of mine, and he walked up to me… at the end of the audition… and he said, ‘You know, I never thought we’d find the rotten kid but you’re it, Jesus Christ, what the f**k was that?’ And I spent the next year of my life working with Jack.”

The pair became good friends and went on to work together on three other projects, including 1992’s film adaptation of Glengarry Glen Ross, and Spacey insists he owes a lot of his career success to the late star: “He became my friend, my mentor, my father figure.”
The actor claims he has learned to live by one of Lemmon’s life lessons.

Speaking at Wednesday’s (09Apr14) Museum of the Moving Image event held in New York in Spacey’s honour, added, “Jack had a philosophy… that he passed down to me… Jack used to say all the time, ‘If you’ve done well in the business you want to do well in, then it is your obligation to spend a good portion of your time sending the elevator back down…’

“So there isn’t a day that goes by when I’m not enormously grateful for the people that believed in me and gave me a chance, and I know in my heart, that if we all just keep a little bit of the Lemmon clause in our hearts, we’re going to be OK.”

"Except for that old lady whose invitation I stole. Hey, she should have known better to to take a nap while I was sitting next to her. Finders keepers, losers weepers. She's probably dead now anyway, so fuck her. Oh, and did I mention I'm gay? Is everything cool now?"

"Quite."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2017, 15:44

The comedian Billy Eichner tweeted something like Kevin Spacey took a good thing like coming out and just made it bad.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Oct 2017, 15:59

R. Swipe wrote:I don't know.

He could be admitting it to simply confirm his possible guilt over something he can't remember ("well obviously I didn't do this because I'm straight") but it's the switching focus from the allegations to himself that is odd.

And in doing so he rather clumsily conflates the two unfortunately regardless of his intention.

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 16:04

It is odd.

But a ‘deflection? I’m not sure. ‘Paedophile’? I doubt it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 16:10

zoomboogity wrote:http://www.hollywood.com/general/kevin-spacey-s-stolen-invite-led-to-jack-lemmon-theatre-role-59541361

Movie star Kevin Spacey has a stolen party invite to thank for helping him land his dream stage role opposite the legendary Jack Lemmon early on in his career. The House of Cards star was a young thespian working in a theatre production of Hurlyburly in New York in the mid-1980s when he heard director Jonathan Miller was going to be in the city to hold tryouts for a planned version of Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night, starring Lemmon in the lead role.

Spacey was desperate to play the part of Lemmon’s onstage son, but reveals he had no way to score an audition – until he stole an invite for a party with Miller from an elderly guest at a lecture series the filmmaker was hosting.

He says, “This is a true story, I don’t make this up – I was sitting in my seat, terrified, thinking, ‘How am I going to f**king meet him…?’

“There was an elderly woman sitting next to me… and she was sleeping. And I happened to look down, and sticking outside of her purse on the ground was an invitation to a cocktail reception in honour of Dr. Jonathan Miller. And I thought, ‘You know, she’s tired.’ So I leaned down, I took this invitation and I went to this cocktail reception…”

The daring move gave Spacey the chance to introduce himself to Miller at the party and he managed to talk his way into an audition, which led to him performing in front of Lemmon himself.

He recalls, “I’ll never forget, I did four scenes with Jack, this man who had meant so much to me, was a huge idol of mine, and he walked up to me… at the end of the audition… and he said, ‘You know, I never thought we’d find the rotten kid but you’re it, Jesus Christ, what the f**k was that?’ And I spent the next year of my life working with Jack.”

The pair became good friends and went on to work together on three other projects, including 1992’s film adaptation of Glengarry Glen Ross, and Spacey insists he owes a lot of his career success to the late star: “He became my friend, my mentor, my father figure.”
The actor claims he has learned to live by one of Lemmon’s life lessons.

Speaking at Wednesday’s (09Apr14) Museum of the Moving Image event held in New York in Spacey’s honour, added, “Jack had a philosophy… that he passed down to me… Jack used to say all the time, ‘If you’ve done well in the business you want to do well in, then it is your obligation to spend a good portion of your time sending the elevator back down…’

“So there isn’t a day that goes by when I’m not enormously grateful for the people that believed in me and gave me a chance, and I know in my heart, that if we all just keep a little bit of the Lemmon clause in our hearts, we’re going to be OK.”

"Except for that old lady whose invitation I stole. Hey, she should have known better to to take a nap while I was sitting next to her. Finders keepers, losers weepers. She's probably dead now anyway, so fuck her. Oh, and did I mention I'm gay? Is everything cool now?"

He's going to get attacked for this too? Is everything the guy says now going to get trawled over so we can sit in judgement over it?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Oct 2017, 16:10

R. Swipe wrote:It is odd.

It could be both admission and deflection. It's easy to be cynical and maybe I'm predisposed to that. Maybe it just is the former but it's an odd statement to make and it's not one that wouldn't have been run by PR teams first you know?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 16:15

Goat Boy wrote:

It could be both admission and deflection. It's easy to be cynical and maybe I'm predisposed to that. Maybe it just is the former but it's an odd statement to make and it's not one that wouldn't have been run by PR teams first you know?

I think he was just trying to be honest and deal with things as directly as he could.

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 16:21

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

I think he was just trying to be honest and deal with things as directly as he could.

That's how it strikes me too.

There is, of course, always a tendency to give people like Spacey the benefit of the doubt (and conversely, have the knives sharpened for Trump), because of personal bias, what these people mean to us. But some of the reactions I've seen today to this have shocked me - and that includes 'respected' sources like the Telegraph.

I've just read Rapp's original statement again and it sounds like an ugly experience for him. But 'sexual assault' - the phrase has been used in most articles covering this story today and it covers a broad spectrum - we need to be clear what it means in each context.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2017, 16:21

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

I think if he did it once, he'd done it before.

I also don't think it's that great coming out in the same statement. Isn't the sexual deviant/predator label that gay men are afraid of continually being stigmatized with by Christian evangelists?

Roy Moore, anyone
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 16:26

What could he have said that would have made people feel better about him or his actions?

Twang

Postby Twang » 30 Oct 2017, 16:35

Stopped after the first paragraph

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 30 Oct 2017, 16:37

Yeah.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Oct 2017, 16:37

And apologised for K-Pax at the same time.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82