Louis CK, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18099
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Tactful Cactus » 12 Nov 2017, 21:48

Not really Mod. Shipman et al were the exceptions. The Hollywood revelations are endemic. Its a rotten industry that needs to be reborn.

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:02

Yes.

It's more like the police force - certain types are attracted, altho' you can't say they're all like that.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16892
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 12 Nov 2017, 22:04

Similar to teaching in that regard.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12279
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby The Modernist » 12 Nov 2017, 22:10

Tactful Cactus wrote:Not really Mod. Shipman et al were the exceptions. The Hollywood revelations are endemic. Its a rotten industry that needs to be reborn.


Endemic? There have been two high profile cases and an obscure director I'd not heard of. For an industry that employs thousands, endemic isn't the word I'd use.

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:13

kewl klive wrote:Similar to teaching in that regard.


Fucking psychopaths, yeah
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:15

The Modernist wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:Not really Mod. Shipman et al were the exceptions. The Hollywood revelations are endemic. Its a rotten industry that needs to be reborn.


Endemic? There have been two high profile cases and an obscure director I'd not heard of. For an industry that employs thousands, endemic isn't the word I'd use.


John Huston
Alfred Hitchcock
Woody Allen
Stanley Kubrick
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32467
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Nov 2017, 22:16

I dunno about that. Considering the amount of actresses who have stated they have encountered similar behaviour it makes me think it's actually pretty common.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:17

Dustin Hoffmann and Richard Dreyfuss, recent suspects
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:17

Many tolerated it, of course
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32467
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Nov 2017, 22:20

The nature of the business lends itself to abusive and exploitative behaviour of course. You can imagine what has happened in the past and what people managed to get away with.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:21

Oh, there are so many tales. Most Hollywood biogs are full of this stuff
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:22

Björk recently talked about Lars Von Trier’s abusive behaviour towards her
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 917
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Robert » 12 Nov 2017, 22:31

Goat Boy wrote:The nature of the business lends itself to abusive and exploitative behaviour of course. You can imagine what has happened in the past and what people managed to get away with.



why does the nature of the business lend itself for that?

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12279
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby The Modernist » 12 Nov 2017, 22:32

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:Not really Mod. Shipman et al were the exceptions. The Hollywood revelations are endemic. Its a rotten industry that needs to be reborn.


Endemic? There have been two high profile cases and an obscure director I'd not heard of. For an industry that employs thousands, endemic isn't the word I'd use.


John Huston
Alfred Hitchcock
Woody Allen
Stanley Kubrick


Hold on - three of those people are dead. They haven't been convicted of anything!

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 12 Nov 2017, 22:34

Ah, G, come on. You know full well.

The industry is rife with amoral (at least) behaviour.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12279
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby The Modernist » 12 Nov 2017, 22:35

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Oh, there are so many tales. Most Hollywood biogs are full of this stuff


I'm sure they are. Weirdly enough people don't write salacious books or gossip about plumbers or chartered accountants or ambulance drivers.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12279
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby The Modernist » 12 Nov 2017, 22:37

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Ah, G, come on. You know full well.

The industry is rife with amoral (at least) behaviour.


I'm not naïve John. At the same time I think it's dangerous to assume guilt because "that's what they're like".

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18562
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 13 Nov 2017, 00:14

The Modernist wrote:
Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Oh, there are so many tales. Most Hollywood biogs are full of this stuff


I'm sure they are. Weirdly enough people don't write salacious books or gossip about plumbers or chartered accountants or ambulance drivers.


:?

I get the impression you think it's unfair we're criticising Hollywood for attracting narcissists and feeding their basest instincts.

Very odd.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15454
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Jimbo » 13 Nov 2017, 05:03

Edward Heath
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 917
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Kevin Spacey/Louis C.K.

Postby Robert » 13 Nov 2017, 08:52

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Oh, there are so many tales. Most Hollywood biogs are full of this stuff


I'm sure they are. Weirdly enough people don't write salacious books or gossip about plumbers or chartered accountants or ambulance drivers.


:?

I get the impression you think it's unfair we're criticising Hollywood for attracting narcissists and feeding their basest instincts.

Very odd.


I think we can rest assured that this whole thing is not restricted to Hollywood or the film industry. This just attracts more attention because we ' know' these people and feeds on the public's fixation with celebrities. I am sure this happens everywhere else too.