Louis CK, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sneelock

Re: Louis CK, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey...

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2019, 19:21

Well, US Attorney General William Barr has announced that he will get to the bottom of the matter. So, we can all put our minds at ease.
Inka Dinka Doo

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2019, 20:23

My first suspicion was Epstein himself did it. It's what I would do if I were him. "I lived a good life, had a lot of fun, but now it looks like I'll be spending the rest of it in prison. Fuck it. I'd rather be dead. Where can I get me a little rope?"

I appreciate, however, how Michael Tracy says that if you are not suspicious of other motives - and you're a journalist - you're simply not doing your job.

You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2019, 22:35

A lot will depend on how the body is dealt with. If he’s cremated REAL quick then the theories will breed like fruit flies.
Inka Dinka Doo

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2019, 06:15

Sneelock wrote:A lot will depend on how the body is dealt with. If he’s cremated REAL quick then the theories will breed like fruit flies.

Maybe they'll just dump his corpse into the ocean.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Feb 2020, 15:10

It was only a matter of time I suppose before internetz was full of people laughing at the thought of Weinstein getting sexually assaulted in prison. I mean, it was totally predictable, as this happens every time someone who has been charged with assault ends up on the inside, but all the same.

Sexual assault is bad until someone goes to jail for it. Then it's funny, and people hope it happens. Having a good laugh in a scenario where assault is ok as long as it’s carried out as an unregulated punishment.

What a strange world.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Feb 2020, 15:53

And besides, who'd want to fuck him?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Feb 2020, 16:48

harvey k-tel wrote:And besides, who'd want to fuck him?

I wouldn't do him with yours. :P
On a more serious note, I heard he has hired a "prison consultant" to help him adjust to his jail time.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Mar 2020, 10:37

Quite jaw-dropping that the very publisher of Catch and Kill is now publishing Woody Allen's memoir. :shock: What an incredible insult.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Mar 2020, 11:58

Geezee wrote:Quite jaw-dropping that the very publisher of Catch and Kill is now publishing Woody Allen's memoir. :shock: What an incredible insult.

An insult to who, by who?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Mar 2020, 13:36

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Geezee wrote:Quite jaw-dropping that the very publisher of Catch and Kill is now publishing Woody Allen's memoir. :shock: What an incredible insult.

An insult to who, by who?

By the publisher, to Dylan/Ronan, who ultimately was their client first, played a big role in the Catch and Kill arc, and now they are publishing the memoir of their sworn enemy and alleged abuser (and given that all other publishers apparently refused to publish it, it almost seems a deliberate act).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Mar 2020, 15:49

That’s an interesting line of thinking, but not one I agree with. Publishers don’t have any kind of fiduciary duty that extends outside of marketing and ensuring royalties get paid, as far as I am aware? Publishing houses can publish all sorts of contradictory ideas - OUP publishes the King James Bible but is also is one of the largest publishers of scientific literature. As long as a house thinks there is an market for something, they will publish it as far as I can see.

Dr Markus wrote:

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 05 Mar 2020, 09:55

Agreed.

Regardless of how cynically we might view their decision to publish Allen's book, Hachette is a business not a pressure group. As such, they're probably going to use their relationship with WA (who let's not forget has never been tried or convicted in a court of law) to stir up some controversy. In doing so, they are obviously setting out to maximise sales and profits from both his and Farrow's books.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 05 Mar 2020, 10:53

Which is as cynical as you can get, in my mind (and I'm not sure so much that it's an "interesting line of thinking" - it's what Dylan/Ronan themselves have gone out and said, and generally I'd agree that it is quite shocking). And yes, of course, we're all in a capitalist utopia where you can do what you want and be damn the consequences, but it still doesn't get away from the fact that it's a huge insult. Imagine if the producers of Leaving Neverland turned around and then did a tribute documentary to Michael Jackson. Can they do it? - of course they can, no problem. Do they have any moral responsibility to anyone? Absolutely not, just smell the money. Is it an enormous F U to those who spoke out in Leaving Neverland? Hell yes.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Mar 2020, 18:25

If they were going to publish a tribute to Woody, you might well have a valid point. I don't know what Woody's plans for his book are, but he's never been the sort to pay tribute to himself.

I also think that Ronan in particular has his head resolutely up his ass on this subject. So, there's that.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Mar 2020, 19:45

Geezee wrote:it still doesn't get away from the fact that it's a huge insult.

You obviously have strong feelings about this and that’s what you believe, but it doesn’t make it a fact at all.

Dr Markus wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Mar 2020, 22:43

Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 07 Mar 2020, 21:02

Allen’s publisher is not going to, well, publish his book it seems. I can’t see how this is a triumph.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Mar 2020, 09:30

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Geezee wrote:it still doesn't get away from the fact that it's a huge insult.

You obviously have strong feelings about this and that’s what you believe, but it doesn’t make it a fact at all.

I genuinely don't (and love most of Woody Allen's movies, including many of his more run-of-the-mill later movies - while i conversely feel pretty uncomfortable with Ronan Farrow's public persona) - but i'd still consider it a fact (the Farrow family were insulted whether you like or not, as were demonstrably a large part of the staff of the company itself, unless i guess you consider they are all just snowflakes who should just get on with it)...but then whether one cares about that or not is a different matter. Either way they've now pulled out after the staff walkout - which doesn't negate the initial idiocy of the decision and nothing in this matter is a "triumph" in any way, but nor is it in any way muzzling Allen's freedom of speech or suppressing his words as some commentators are positing. He can shop around to any publisher he wants, or self-publish.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON