Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Robert

Re: Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

Postby Robert » 30 Oct 2017, 23:21

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
To be fair to Bonehead (I think it was his house :? ) those stripped floorboards were quite ahead of their time in '94.
!

Were they fuck.

I was making extra money sanding floors right through the eighties. By 94 they were old old hat. Bonehead was a cunt.

:lol:

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 01 Nov 2017, 09:11

Deebank wrote:
Nick wrote:
Deebank wrote:Image

That was the image that occurred immediately to me after I read G's original post. It's from 1994, yet it could be a living room today in pretty much any of my friends' houses.

Heck, we've just had our living room decorated, and it's very similar to it.

To be fair to Bonehead (I think it was his house :? ) those stripped floorboards were quite ahead of their time in '94.

We're looking at the mainstream of culture here and whatever field you care to investigate nothing much has changed in 20 odd years. I hate to make the comparison but,'65 -'85!

Though with that room all you'd need to do is remove the TV, add a Persian rug, put a clock on the mantlepiece and change only a few things round and it could be any decade from the 1900's onwards.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Nov 2017, 21:46

I think it's broader than just interior design. It's many aspects of modern design and art that have frozen into a good taste stasis - technology has progressed but I'd argue that staples of clothing, music, movies, and so on are much the same as they were in the 90s. Perhaps the long form TV programmes since the Sopranos, etc have changed and improved that medium (driven by streaming and subscriptions - technology again). Against that, the preponderance of talent show, interchangeable production line pop has now crushed pop's historic ability to refresh and renew itself.
Last edited by Ranking Ted on 01 Nov 2017, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Nov 2017, 21:47

Or maybe that's just a typically jaundiced view from a middle aged bloke.