Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Fonz

Re: Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

Postby Fonz » 26 Oct 2017, 09:49

A comedian called Samantha bee wrote:
R. Swipe wrote:A couple of points.

First, this:

souphound wrote:I blame Ikea

very much!

and also - looking at a photo of an interior from today (as in the OP), it's impossible to get a sense of its 'look' without the benefit of passing time. Everything contemporary looks bland because we're surrounded by it - it's only with age it acquires a kind of character.

Having said that, I agree with most of what you're saying, G. I can't say much else right now 'cos this is an intelligent thread and my Ma's watching The Chase really loud and I can't concentrate! but I'll come back later.

Oh I think I know one of the contestants on that today

I'm pals with Paul Sinha-one of the baddies.
Good bloke. Funny.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2017, 09:50

Goat Boy wrote:Swedish glass? Bargain Hunt?

What the hell is going on, G?

It’ll be fucking caravans next

You'll be middle aged one day Dougie. It'll come up so quick before you even know it and you'll be on BCB posting about growing radishes and taking brass rubbings in churches! ;)
I give it five years. :lol:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2017, 09:56

Never!!!!

(the lass and I are buying a tent and plan on going camping next year mind but that's different)
Last edited by Goat Boy on 26 Oct 2017, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Oct 2017, 10:00

The Modernist wrote:

:?

I think your argument is even more pertinent to architecture - by which I mean the sort of buildings we live in rather than the big 'headline' projects.

I think until the '80s architects tried to do interesting things with everyday family houses - I love a lot of that '60s and '70s style. After that time there was a return to dull conservative neo-georgian... I blame Thatcher.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2017, 10:06

Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 26 Oct 2017, 10:34

Yes, I have long thought that beyond the eighties decades are visually bland and virtually indistinguishable when it comes to clothing fashion. I think interior design has evolved more noticeably though, even if I am beginning to despair of the industrial look (bare concrete and brick, distressed pastel wood, low-hanging massive lightbulbs on long flexes, oh-so visible air-con pipes) in almost every new bar and coffee shop in Britain.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2017, 11:07

I don't mind that look in relation to a lot of other looks in retail outlets - particularly the drab, striplight utility of a Greggs or a Costa. But I do wonder whether in 30 years time people will think "Christ, what were they thinking?"

Nick

Postby Nick » 26 Oct 2017, 12:00

Deebank wrote:Image

That was the image that occurred immediately to me after I read G's original post. It's from 1994, yet it could be a living room today in pretty much any of my friends' houses.

Heck, we've just had our living room decorated, and it's very similar to it.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Nick

Postby Nick » 26 Oct 2017, 12:06

Toby wrote:I don't mind that look in relation to a lot of other looks in retail outlets - particularly the drab, striplight utility of a Greggs or a Costa. But I do wonder whether in 30 years time people will think "Christ, what were they thinking?"

It's something I think about a lot, the deliberate impermanence and anonymity of so many buildings nowadays. I really don't like it.

Living in Manchester, I see buildings from the nineteenth century alongside modern steel and glass things, and the contrast is so marked. One thing I love about older buildings is that they often had their name, or the name of the company literally carved in stone above the door, or on the front.

They were designed and built to last, and with the confidence that they would always be a Post Office, or a branch of Lloyds' Bank, or whatever. And they were designed and built by people who cared about the aesthetics of what they were creating. You don't get that now.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Oct 2017, 12:20

So what's next on "modern life is shit" rant tour G? ;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Oct 2017, 12:23

Nick wrote:
Deebank wrote:Image

That was the image that occurred immediately to me after I read G's original post. It's from 1994, yet it could be a living room today in pretty much any of my friends' houses.

Heck, we've just had our living room decorated, and it's very similar to it.

To be fair to Bonehead (I think it was his house :? ) those stripped floorboards were quite ahead of their time in '94.

We're looking at the mainstream of culture here and whatever field you care to investigate nothing much has changed in 20 odd years. I hate to make the comparison but,'65 -'85!
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Oct 2017, 04:35

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I do the same but tend to stick with English art glass of the 60s and 70s, although I would like some Orrefors, Alstaforrs, Lindehammer or Holmgard as well.
I have a couple of bits of Whitefriars and would like some more, but only in green or smoke ( called cinnamon? ) not keen on tangerine or amethyst or any of the other colours tbh, I have some rather nice Stennett-Wilson Wedgewood ( may be from King's Lynn period ) candlesticks 3 sizes with different numbers of discs on the stem in a deep orange never seen orange before and would like some green ones too. Want some Dartington/Thrower stuff as well perhaps.

All very "mid-century" like you, I suppose it was the accessible art of our youth, every body used to have a bit of Whitefriars, everyone had chunky glass ash trays.
I also like Ruskin pottery and Japanese pottery

Got a vase very like this but more elongated in form

On the walls it is historic geological maps and sections and Ravilious pictures of down land.

As for second hand furniture, Edwardian and earlier brown furniture is cheap as chips, stuff like Ercol etc is very expensive even second hand because it is what people want. Old dark wood antique furniture is difficult to place in modern house, one piece, like a side board, may be OK any more and it is a disaster.

Great post - it sounds like you're developing a really cool collection.
I'm mainly interested in glass, but I do buy ceramics as well ( I particularly like Poole). Much harder to pick up bargains in ceramics though because it's so much easier to identify a maker than glass.
I really like those Stennet-Wilson vases, they can go up to about 12 discs apparently, though i think I've only seen ones up to five. I do have quite a few pieces of W/Friars, my favourite being a large streaky, knobbly lamp base vase. Nothing in your colours though! The other thing apart from Czech I find myself picking up a lot of is Mdina. Most of the stuff I've got is pretty humdrum, but a few of the pieces are really nice.
I do have a Frank Thrower nipple vase in blue. It's nothing special and is pretty small. But if you're interested I'd be happy to pass it on for what I paid for it ( which wasn't much..it was a charity shop find).

Ceramics is a lot more expensive, I'm not sure why as I think glass is far prettier, but I like 19070s Poole with its mad colours it just wouldn't fit in my house. The Stennett-Wilson candle sticks do get massive I have a 1,2 & 3 in a little group, I think he nicked the idea from a Scandinavian factory but they do look lovely. I am going to buy more Whitefriars but I am going to selective with the colours, only green or Cinnamon for me.

I like other glass from Italy and Bohemia etc but I would rather stick to one area and I don't want the whole house taken over, I'd prefer just to have single figures of really nice pieces of a reasonable size.

I would be interested in the Thrower nipple vase, Blue would be my next colour after green and orange, have you got a pic?
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Oct 2017, 10:13

I can pm you a pic tomorrow with further details (the vase is actually at mum's, and I'm at my flat currently). Meanwhile this is the same as mine:
https://www.retroglassandbeyond.co.uk/i ... cts_id=351

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 27 Oct 2017, 10:27

Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

mission

Postby mission » 30 Oct 2017, 13:14

Most good/progressive/thoughtful design is being done where we spend most of our lives - here, on the internerds - and the stasis that Mod bemoans is not at all evident. Not much dates as quickly as web design. Even style-impaired late-forties care-littles like me can spot what's going on and feel the strange sensation that is finding something clunky and wrong that which was perfectly acceptable yesterday.

Interior design - the furniture, the tchothckes, the colours, the soft furnishings - is almost necessarily beholden to (a) the architecture which houses it and which is all about cost-driven machines for living, (b) the impermanence of our engagement with place and the resulting requirement for disposability and interchangeability in the things we fill space with and (c) a general disregard for aesthetics that has always been with us.

Moddie mentioned the on-line return to "traditional" crafts that runs in tandem with the whole hipster/artisanal movement that you have to agree has its own aesthetic.

Knitting is fucking huge, if the internet is to be believed and the whole desire for something pure and authentic is seen really clearly here - allied with the undeniable fact most folk can afford a few balls of wool but they can't afford handcrafted furniture or other totems of design from years past.

In short, it's all still happening - not just where we are used to seeing it happen.
Good.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 30 Oct 2017, 20:32

Deebank wrote:
To be fair to Bonehead (I think it was his house :? ) those stripped floorboards were quite ahead of their time in '94.
!

Were they fuck.

I was making extra money sanding floors right through the eighties. By 94 they were old old hat. Bonehead was a cunt.
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Oct 2017, 20:35

The Modernist wrote:I can pm you a pic tomorrow with further details (the vase is actually at mum's, and I'm at my flat currently). Meanwhile this is the same as mine:
https://www.retroglassandbeyond.co.uk/i ... cts_id=351

So was the whole thread just a ruse to sell some old shit to Copey then G?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Oct 2017, 20:47

:lol:
Busted.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Oct 2017, 20:53

I knew it.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 30 Oct 2017, 22:22

:x

G has been pressing his nipples into molten glass and flogging the end product again
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.