Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist

Re: Modern life and visual aesthetics - a rant!!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 17:26

Jimbo wrote:If anything our home could use a whole lot of that empty space. My wife has our place decorated like a gay (18)90's San Francisco whore house with a pasha's palace worth of throw pillows, plants and lace.

:lol: Pictures Jimbo!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 25 Oct 2017, 17:36

The Modernist wrote:In the UK, old or even antique furniture can be picked up very cheaply at auction or in junk shops, often very attractive and well made things. It is much harder to get good quality G-Plan and similar(which was the British answer to mid century Scandinavian design, in fact their early designers were Scandinavian) because of the mania for all things mid century (which I share!).

I think that's gone to be honest. Most people have to go to France and the flea markets over there for real bargains.

*fun and open field*
hounds people off the board

Postby *fun and open field* » 25 Oct 2017, 17:42

A couple of points.

First, this:

souphound wrote:I blame Ikea

very much!

and also - looking at a photo of an interior from today (as in the OP), it's impossible to get a sense of its 'look' without the benefit of passing time. Everything contemporary looks bland because we're surrounded by it - it's only with age it acquires a kind of character.

Having said that, I agree with most of what you're saying, G. I can't say much else right now 'cos this is an intelligent thread and my Ma's watching The Chase really loud and I can't concentrate! but I'll come back later.
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I quite like Sweet Child. Great wah-wah on the solo.

I'm off to a Governors' meeting. I'll add a clue tonight if we make no progress

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2017, 17:46

R. Swipe wrote:A couple of points.

First, this:

souphound wrote:I blame Ikea

very much!

and also - looking at a photo of an interior from today (as in the OP), it's impossible to get a sense of its 'look' without the benefit of passing time. Everything contemporary looks bland because we're surrounded by it - it's only with age it acquires a kind of character.

Having said that, I agree with most of what you're saying, G. I can't say much else right now 'cos this is an intelligent thread and my Ma's watching The Chase really loud and I can't concentrate! but I'll come back later.

Oh I think I know one of the contestants on that today
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

*fun and open field*

Postby *fun and open field* » 25 Oct 2017, 17:47

Yeah? go on!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2017, 17:54

Kate

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2017, 17:54

It's either on today or she filmed today

Dr Markus wrote:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 17:55

Fonz wrote:I had this conversation with family 6 months ago.
Generally, people have raced to get rid of heirlooms and ‘stuff’, often for very little money, in pursuit of either easy cash or just chasing the aesthetic that G posted a pic of.
Part of it comes from being more fluid in terms of where you live. More mobile. Buy a place to flip it, so necessitating a neutralbland palette. Been guilty of this myself, as job has taken me all over the South of England.

I think we will see a reaction, bu5 I don’t know when. I predict a generation of folks will want to reconnect with the past and start to value heirlooms and hand-me-downs; things they can actually touch and hold, rather than virtual stuff on a screen.

Yeah, I can really understand it in many ways. People come home from work knackered and they want an easy, stress-free environment that demands no upkeep at all. As a solution for 21st century living, minimalism has been very successful. Too successful because a baleful consequence has been to rob people of any individual taste at all or worse having the courage of their own tastes. As Harvey alluded to, there's a sheep-like conformity to all of this.

On the second point, I think we are seeing a reaction to a degree. I was at a vintage fair over the weekend and saw quite a lot of twenty somethings and thirty somethings, and they seemed to be buying too. The hipster is much maligned, we look at them with their organic beer companies and vinyl fetishism and think wankers, but actually they are doing quite a lot to bring back and appreciate things like hand crafted goods, clever design and homemade food etc. All good things, even if they might have their wanky side!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 25 Oct 2017, 18:00

I think it's important to remember that stylish, individual furniture and home furnishings are very expensive and alway have been. To romanticise the past one has to remember that this sort of thing has always been the domain of arguably the upper-middle class and above. Lots of people didn't even have anything remotely stylish apart from functional hand-me-downs until the 50s at the earliest.

It remains the same now - people in the main have cheap furniture that doesn't last particularly long. In that, I think there is some sense. We bought a chest of drawers a while back that cost about £800 or so and now it's a bit of a millstone because it doesn't really belong anywhere in our house and is too big. We don't want to sell it but because we don't really have the room for it, we have to. I doubt we'll get more than £250 for it or so. People don't want to invest in furniture too much because there is the risk that it just goes out of date too quickly. Otherwise you just buy things like solid oak tables because they're classics and will do their job for 20 or so years.

If you live in the sort of house or flat where you can buy fancy chairs and the like then I suspect you probably haven't got children or pets. My wife bought two sofas when we moved to our current house that have wool upholstery. That they've survived, pretty much intact, despite a toddler and a cat, is a miracle.

*fun and open field*

Postby *fun and open field* » 25 Oct 2017, 18:00

A comedian called Samantha bee wrote:It's either on today or she filmed today

Missed her, if she was on. I'll tell my Mam to shout for her tomorrow

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 25 Oct 2017, 18:01

Is having moive posters on your sitting wall still considered somewhat stylish? :?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Oct 2017, 18:06

The Modernist wrote: The idea is convenience and to look like everyone else so you don't have to worry about any kind of self-expression.

I blame AirB&B, in part, for perpetuating this tendency lately. I'd like to expand on this thought, but I'm out of time!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 25 Oct 2017, 18:07

The Great Defector wrote:Is having moive posters on your sitting wall still considered somewhat stylish? :?

Moive is still a very stylish colour, despite what the so-called "experts" might tell you.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 18:07

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I want to know more about this Scandinavian glass that you're into, G. It's not something that has seemingly even made a dent in the marketplace over here.

Ah that was my drunken facebook post! It was a bit of a drunken boast, and like most drunken boasts not particularly true. I do have a few bits of Riihimäki glass that I'll be selling soon. But I don't have much Scandi glass because the best stuff is so sought after and expensive. I did sell one piece a few months ago to the guy who runs this site: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com for forty quid and he promptly sold it on for 100! (..which I didn't begrudge, it's the way of the world).
I'm trying to hoover up any post-war Czech glass at the moment because it's affordable (other than a few designers where prices are sky high), stunning and will be the big thing over the next ten years. I need to do a European buying trip! :)

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 25 Oct 2017, 18:10

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Is having moive posters on your sitting wall still considered somewhat stylish? :?

Moive is still a very stylish colour, despite what the so-called "experts" might tell you.

Sweet, my "moive" poster of "bikini cheerleaders from mars" is staying up.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 18:12

Only if they're Polish!

And I'm not joking here..vintage Polish poster design goes for a lot of money.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Oct 2017, 18:13

The Modernist wrote:
Jimbo wrote:If anything our home could use a whole lot of that empty space. My wife has our place decorated like a gay (18)90's San Francisco whore house with a pasha's palace worth of throw pillows, plants and lace.

:lol: Pictures Jimbo!

Be careful what you wish for. . .
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 25 Oct 2017, 18:16

The Modernist wrote:

Only if they're Polish!

And I'm not joking here..vintage Polish poster design goes for a lot of money.

Why polish do you know?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Oct 2017, 18:18

R. Swipe wrote: Everything contemporary looks bland because we're surrounded by it - it's only with age it acquires a kind of character.

How true. When I lived in Florida I hated my parents' sterile condo community. It was squaresville. On a huge plot of reclaimed swampland there were many 5 storey apartment buildings placed on windy drives with speedbumps amid braced up palm trees and much lawn. But when I went back after a few years the palm trees were free of their braces and all the greenery had matured. The buildings were a little rain and rust stained and they seemed to be somehow more organic, more a part of the whole scene like when you see an old house it seems to have been there as long as the trees. Now, to my mild surprise squaresville got not hip but not so bad.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Oct 2017, 18:22

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think technology has supplanted style and design in the way it reflects the period. In the past there seemed a genuine desire to reflect the times and the different generations through design etc but now this desire is fulfilled through technology advances

Very much, but I worry we are losing our visual eye.

Perhaps.

It's like when cinema was the Thing and it attracted all these great, interesting people because that's where the cultural revolution was so you have that generation of auteurs who emerged in the 40s etc. And then rock n roll kicked off and that attracted all the cool young kids and now you have technology and that's where they go these days I think.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam