SECRET SANTA 2017- Reveal!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jumper K

Re: SECRET SANTA 2017- Reveal!

Postby Jumper K » 11 Jan 2018, 23:38

martha wrote:The Bristol Calendar was my clue it was Jumper. Thank you so much! Everyone loved the chocolates and cheese. Veronica held the reindeer snowglobe hostage for the last Malteaser snowman (I ransomed him back for half the snowman and my last Lindt santa), and we all had fun looking through the movie cards (No Harold and Maude in the bunch - scandalous!, but Brokeback Mountain and Princess Bride almost made up for it...) and I'm still working my way through the CD's. Thank you Balls!

Pete, once again thank you for organizing this. SMOOCH.

My pleasure.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 11 Jan 2018, 23:39

Thanks for the stellar package Brendan. The CD is on constant rotation on the way to work in the mornings. I'm dipping in and out of the book.

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 12 Jan 2018, 06:13

Finally managed to open my SS package today, after the extended New Years' break here and the redelivery between post offices. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks toomanyhatz for a wonderful package :) I look forward to listening to the CDs and reading the signed copy of "The Record Store of the Mind".

Cheers to Pete for organizing this flawlessly!

Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: SECRET SANTA 2017- Record when sent please!

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Jan 2018, 06:51

never/ever wrote:YES!!!!!

Finally the package arrived, carefully wedged between the screen and front door to avoid the rain getting in!

Thanks very much to my SS who was kind enough to pass on:

- The Be Bop DeLux At The BBC Anthology set
- My Mind Goes High- Psychedelic Pop From The WEA-vaults
- Zeth Lundy's book Songs In The Key Of Life- a nice compendium to the Stevie Wonder album.
- Nate Jackson- Slow Getting Up- a down by down-account from a former Niners/Broncos WR - really look forward to this one~!
- A book titled Wallingford Through Time- the English version of Warwick Farm methinks
- and, absolutely amazingly, the Roger Dean stamp collection of Islands & Bridges- one he can sign when I see him at the end of the month!

Thanks so much! Absolutely worth the wait!

Pleasure Maarts!

That was posted on 7th December.... took over a month to get to you.....

Enjoy - I had a horrible feeling it had gone awol.
Is it nice in your snow storm
Freezing your brain?
Do you think that your face looks the same?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Jan 2018, 10:50

Neige wrote:Ok then:
I got a signed copy of Robert Forster's memoir "Grant & I"... I'd never been a huge Go-Betweens fan in their heyday, only had the blue double best of on vinyl, but came to love some of Forster's and McLennan's (solo) songs a lot over the last few years.

Enough to be really tempted to buy the book after reading some positive reviews lauding Forster's prose.

Glad I didn't.

Very chuffed!

Thank you very much, Secret Santa...

I've whittled the possible suspects down to 3 (with one on top due to another little item in the package), but I'll be a good boy and refrain from idle guesswork for the time being.

Hey Griff!! Since Carol wasn't part of this, the wooden stars "made in Palestine" made me pretty sure it was you.

And the rave reviews for Forster's book are totall deserved - it's a great read! Thank you Andy!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 12 Jan 2018, 13:12

Thanks Maarts.
I'm stuck in to the Robert Forster book and Joey Ramone is guarding my left speaker!

Cheers Secret Santa and cheers Pete for continuing to keep this alive.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Jan 2018, 18:30

Diamond Dog wrote:I cannot begin to describe the goodies I received... some magnificent chocolates, biscuits and other assorted foodstuffs (that I'm sure the sender will update in good time)... just lovely.... and a postcard of a group of old fogies debating "Beatles? Stones?" in a very BCB Jolly Up manner... a Tim Buckley 8 CD boxset (which is cool, because I've often wanted to delve a bit deeper into his catalogue)....a CD from Mario Batkovic (who is someone I've never heard of so will enjoy investigating).... and a fabulous book re the country of origin of the sender... so I won't give that away yet.....

You are way way too kind Secret Santa - my heartiest thank you :)

My sincerest thanks to Neige..... just a beautiful bunch of goodies! Thank you, young man.
Freezing your brain?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jan 2018, 18:38

savoirefaire wrote:Thanks toomanyhatz for a wonderful package :) I look forward to listening to the CDs and reading the signed copy of "The Record Store of the Mind".

:D I forgot that it was signed! Hope it wasn't made out to me! The guy who wrote it is a friend of a friend, and now, as such, an acquaintance of mine. He runs Tompkins Square, which is a great label. And he's a nice guy too. I really enjoyed that book - hope you do too.

Also, I swear by that Oxford American. The music issue comes out in, I think, November, so it's a perfect music-related X-mas gift. It's never failed me for interesting writing or great music I hadn't heard before. Of course I got a copy for myself as well.

Cheers, enjoy.

And I reiterate the thanks to Pete. Great job!
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 12 Jan 2018, 20:24

i repeat my thanks to you with name attached, tom waits for no one. i love what you've sent me.

and as always, thanks, pete.

you people get me all sniffly.

::smacksmack::

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Jan 2018, 11:17

Neige wrote:Hey Griff!! Since Carol wasn't part of this, the wooden stars "made in Palestine" made me pretty sure it was you.

And the rave reviews for Forster's book are totall deserved - it's a great read! Thank you Andy!

You're most welcome, Felix. We got the tree decorations from a Palestinian woman who has a stall at our local market. I'll add a link later when I track it down. Glad you're enjoying the book - I've only just started my copy!

Jimbo, many, many thanks for all the Japanese goodies! We are still working our way through them all (eating a Crunky Crunch Strawberry Chocolate bar right now, in fact).
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jan 2018, 18:03

I have to say there has been a lot of thought gone into the prezzies this year. Really lovely array of gifts and ideas.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 13 Jan 2018, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Freezing your brain?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jan 2018, 18:03

Freezing your brain?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Jan 2018, 21:39

Fully agree- yours definitely was up there with my favorites of all time.
Those stamps are terrific! I have seen all these limited editions coming up in the UK that all look mouthwatering and then you get here and Australia Post only puts gronks like Jimmy Barnes on a stamp...

Fun to be part of this and something I'll do again at the end of the year too! Cheers!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jan 2018, 01:26

German Dave wrote:Well, I got some delicious Japanese tea, two lovely Japanese handkerchiefs and a veritable Aladdin's Cave of Japanese sweets and chocolates (seriously, I could open a sweet shop). Many, many thanks, SS, whoever you are. ;)

Oh, I forgot to reveal myself. All the sweets were my idea. I thought what I would like to get, especially from the UK, and that is what I gave you. My wife, however, took one look at my crude bag of useless calories and tooth decay and smartened it up with the tea and the handkerchiefs and calligraphy.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom