Language question

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 11:29

Is there a snappy expression in English for dealing with the symptom but not the cause ?

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9640
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Language question

Postby The Modernist » 11 Oct 2017, 11:34

Yes. Humping the giraffe.

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 14224
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: Language question

Postby kewl klive » 11 Oct 2017, 11:37

Banning the ‘skope.
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9664
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Language question

Postby Samoan » 11 Oct 2017, 11:40

Symptom management ?
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16213
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Language question

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Oct 2017, 12:24

Supporting Liverpool.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33792
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Language question

Postby PENK » 11 Oct 2017, 13:05

Robert wrote:Is there a snappy expression in English for dealing with the symptom but not the cause ?


Yes, this is academically known as Turtlebee's Dilemma.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52126
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Language question

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Oct 2017, 14:35

Getting to the heart of the matter or the root of the problem?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14423
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Language question

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 11 Oct 2017, 14:41

Something to do with sticking a Band-Aid over it, or plugging the hole
Image

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15004
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Language question

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Oct 2017, 14:45

Palliative
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16213
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Language question

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Oct 2017, 14:56

Friendly With Coan.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4014
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Language question

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Oct 2017, 16:26

Brexit.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Language question

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 16:42

The Modernist wrote:Yes. Humping the giraffe.


:lol:

Works for me.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Language question

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 16:44

PENK wrote:
Robert wrote:Is there a snappy expression in English for dealing with the symptom but not the cause ?


Yes, this is academically known as Turtlebee's Dilemma.


I thought that was Lowenstein's Quandry.

Oh, well.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37436
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Re: Language question

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Oct 2017, 16:47

"Damage control" might be handy
that is, if you can't say 'pissing in the wind'
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11331
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Language question

Postby Rayge » 11 Oct 2017, 17:13

Allopathy is a term for medical practices that treat the symptom rather than the disease causing it, and can be applied metaphorically to any analogous non-medical situation, providing you don't mind only smart-arses like me knowing what you're talking about.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 17:18

Belle Lettre wrote:Palliative


That's pretty good!

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 17:21

Count Machuki wrote:"Damage control" might be handy
that is, if you can't say 'pissing in the wind'


Yes that or damage management but but it's the sort
of lingo I try to avoid

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 17:23

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:Something to do with sticking a Band-Aid over it, or plugging the hole


Yup, good too but doesn't work in the context

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 17:25

Rayge wrote:Allopathy is a term for medical practices that treat the symptom rather than the disease causing it, and can be applied metaphorically to any analogous non-medical situation, providing you don't mind only smart-arses like me knowing what you're talking about.


Works in a bar but would loathe choice of language to distract from content

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 722
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Language question

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2017, 17:28

Snarfyguy wrote:Getting to the heart of the matter or the root of the problem?


Yes. Had to send it out several hours ago though and went with 'leaving the cause unaddressed'

Not snappy at all.