UK car satnav recommendations?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Thang-y

UK car satnav recommendations?

Postby Thang-y » 09 Oct 2017, 19:37

I'm long overdue getting satnav for the car but I know nothing about it or anyone who uses it so recommendations would be welcome.

- Is there one which has a clock on it so I know the current time

- Is there one with good updates and traffic advice

- With good UK and European knowledge?

Ta
If you're out drinking with the Beach Boys, don't ask whose round it is.

Jeemo

Re: UK car satnav recommendations?

Postby Jeemo » 10 Oct 2017, 14:46

use a smartphone and Google maps
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Oct 2017, 15:09

Jeemo wrote:use a smartphone and Google maps

That would’ve been my recommendation. Surely dedicated satnavs are obsolete now? Just mount the phone on the windscreen/windshield? There are also traffic apps. In America, Waze works reasonably well. I alternate between it and google maps, depending on the situation.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Oct 2017, 15:11

I find Waze far superior but I'm not a regular user.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Oct 2017, 16:08

Yomp created a sat nav once, he refused to recognize the modern names for places though, calling them "bastard names". So he created it using ye olde English names. Didn't take off.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 10 Oct 2017, 16:11

TomTom used to be the main player in the game. If you don't want to use a smartphone a uk and europe one should cost around £80-£100

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Oct 2017, 16:11

Can you run google maps offline so it actually updates in real time and therefore you don't need 4g/wi fi?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2017, 16:16

Geezee wrote:I find Waze far superior but I'm not a regular user.

In our area, because there are so many Waze users using backstreets, many towns have put up signage or installed traffic cops and certain locations so people can't find shortcuts.

But yeah, get a phone holder for your car and use Waze or Google Maps.

Most newer cars have software built into car that lets you interact with your phone via bluetooth.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Oct 2017, 16:17

Goat Boy wrote:Can you run google maps offline so it actually updates in real time and therefore you don't need 4g/wi fi?

You can save specific maps for offline use, and I’m pretty sure it will still show you basically where you are, but I don’t think it updates information on traffic, accidents, and cops (though I think cop info only shows up on Waze).
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2017, 17:18

Still Baron wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Can you run google maps offline so it actually updates in real time and therefore you don't need 4g/wi fi?

You can save specific maps for offline use, and I’m pretty sure it will still show you basically where you are, but I don’t think it updates information on traffic, accidents, and cops (though I think cop info only shows up on Waze).

Google traffic does real time updates.

There's an area traffic site, 511.org, in the Bay Area that updates traffic info. Also, our freeways have signs that tell you how long it takes to get to most airports, major intersections, etc. About every 15 miles.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Oct 2017, 17:23

sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:

Offline?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2017, 18:15

Still Baron wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:

Offline?

No clue.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 10 Oct 2017, 18:22

Great, thank you for the responses, more than I expected.

I have a smartphone but

- no mount for it
- bloody screen needs swiping all the time
- I'd like directions I can hear so I can keep my eyes on the road
- with satnav it shows you clearly the street and your direction

Thank you, Prof, I'll try TomTom.

Appreciated.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 10 Oct 2017, 18:38

Another vote for Waze here. It does all of the above. We've changed the voice to the rather posh Tom but he's getting on my nerves.
Waze showed me a nice shortcut through Wythenshaw to get to the M56.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Oct 2017, 18:41

The smartphone apps can talk to you and display your vehicle on the street, but if the display is a problem, it’s a problem!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Oct 2017, 18:42

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Another vote for Waze here. It does all of the above. We've changed the voice to the rather posh Tom but he's getting on my nerves.
Waze showed me a nice shortcut through Wythenshaw to get to the M56.

I only use Waze when I know the area pretty well so I can choose to ignore it if necessary. Sometimes it takes me on crazy routes, which would be fine, but not when it requires me to do things I don’t want to do (take an unprotected led across a very busy street or something).

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 10 Oct 2017, 18:50

Still Baron wrote:The smartphone apps can talk to you and display your vehicle on the street, but if the display is a problem, it’s a problem!

Easily fixable on settings I'd've thought. Hm ... will look further into. But I'm leaning towards TomTom.

Ta

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Oct 2017, 19:13

If you get directions via the Google App it will talk to you, exactly the same as a SatNav.

I used to use my SatNav when holidaying in certain parts of Cornwall, but just use my Moto G mobile now - it's more up to date (I think) and the directions do seem more sensible.
Romani ite domum

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Oct 2017, 21:40

Thang-y wrote:
Still Baron wrote:The smartphone apps can talk to you and display your vehicle on the street, but if the display is a problem, it’s a problem!

Easily fixable on settings I'd've thought. Hm ... will look further into. But I'm leaning towards TomTom.

Ta

be aware that they charge for map updates, and that they do not do live updates unless you subscribe ( not cheap). The phone apps are very good. I use google a lot of the time. It does get confused. Often. But the instructions are crisp and clear and the map is easy to follow. Plus you get the route of last resistance, always getting the route that will take the least amount of time taking into account traffic conditions.

Tom Toms are a bit obsolete really...
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2017, 22:00

yomptepi wrote:
Thang-y wrote:

Ta

be aware that they charge for map updates, and that they do not do live updates unless you subscribe ( not cheap). The phone apps are very good. I use google a lot of the time. It does get confused. Often. But the instructions are crisp and clear and the map is easy to follow. Plus you get the route of last resistance, always getting the route that will take the least amount of time taking into account traffic conditions.

Tom Toms are a bit obsolete really...

A great conversation starter too, along with the rolls of cable you might want to keep in the backseat for a landline phone in the car.

A sole GPS is about as practical.