Harvey Weinstein in trouble

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Harvey Weinstein in trouble

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Oct 2017, 15:04

Been thinking about Anna's post. One reason I didn't feel inclined to join in with "me too" is a certain reluctance to go into details about my pusillanimous reactions when confronted with that sort of thing. I wish I'd been more aggressive.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Nick

Postby Nick » 24 Oct 2017, 15:05

Goat Boy wrote:Thankfully for her it was mostly silly stuff like dodgy profile pics and ridiculous profile blurbs rather than dick pics and threatening behaviour. I remember one guy for example saying he was a “sensitive new age man” and he had a large Daily Sport centrefold on the wall behind him. All this was a hoot to us.

Absolutely, some of it's very funny, and some of it is... less so.

CatnHat told me once about a guy she met via a web dating site, and his profile pic was from at least a decade earlier, if not more.

Which sounds (and is) comical, but when she diplomatically pointed this out to him, he got very huffy, and intimated that she was some kind of bitch who'd 'led him on' somehow. It can go from being a little funny (albeit also very pathetic) to disturbingly nasty very quickly.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Nick

Postby Nick » 24 Oct 2017, 15:07

Belle Lettre wrote:Been thinking about Anna's post. One reason I didn't feel inclined to join in with "me too" is a certain reluctance to go into details about my pusillanimous reactions when confronted with that sort of thing. I wish I'd been more aggressive.

I can relate to that from the many occasions as a kid when I knuckled under to bullies. I wish now I'd just gone for them. I'd have collected more bruises, but I'd also have retained a bit more self-respect.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 24 Oct 2017, 15:07

Weinstein apparently is saying any sexual activity was entirely consentual.

Well he's not attractive for his looks (each to their own, but really). Is he attractive for his charm? It's possible, though the impression you get from the accounts of interractions is that he's overbearing and not in any kind of charming way. I don't judge any woman who did have sex with him. I do have a poorer view of the wives though and I know that sounds contrary. I'll get back to explaining this one.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Oct 2017, 15:09

Nick wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Thankfully for her it was mostly silly stuff like dodgy profile pics and ridiculous profile blurbs rather than dick pics and threatening behaviour. I remember one guy for example saying he was a “sensitive new age man” and he had a large Daily Sport centrefold on the wall behind him. All this was a hoot to us.

Absolutely, some of it's very funny, and some of it is... less so.

CatnHat told me once about a guy she met via a web dating site, and his profile pic was from at least a decade earlier, if not more.

Which sounds (and is) comical, but when she diplomatically pointed this out to him, he got very huffy, and intimated that she was some kind of bitch who'd 'led him on' somehow. It can go from being a little funny (albeit also very pathetic) to disturbingly nasty very quickly.

Here's a few words about me, my interests, and so forth.

I consider myself calm, adventurous, and focused. I would like to think I am intelligent, but I will never pretend to know something that I do not. I abhor violence and aggressive behavior, but will not hesitate for a second to defend myself or you from potential danger. In general I like to take it easy and figure out the right way to go. I am confident in my goals but not arrogant. I feel no need to control other people, so if you are looking for that kind of mentality in a relationship I can't help you.

When the opportunity presents itself I enjoy hiking, trail running, visiting undiscovered locales, and learning about new cultures. Keeping an open mind is important to me. I am genuinely interested in the outdoors, nature, and sustainable practices that maintain and preserve the Earth.

My other main interest is cognitive psychology, especially the emerging discipline of cognitive neuroscience. Anything that propels my mind in an uncharted direction receives my attention.

So, that's about it for my bio. If I seem interesting, and you would like to correspond, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Favourite things

riding in a train, children, animals, silence
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 24 Oct 2017, 15:18

Nick wrote:I can relate to that from the many occasions as a kid when I knuckled under to bullies. I wish now I'd just gone for them. I'd have collected more bruises, but I'd also have retained a bit more self-respect.

I think having much older brothers set me to standing up to shits from an early age.

It's arrogant of bullies or aggressors to think they can get away with it (but managed to be surprised when they're stood up to) but sometimes it also involves not giving a stuff of how you appear. I remember one time in a train carriage with several people being stared intently at by some guy. Not just looked at a bit, but stared at. After a while I said "do you have a problem?" .. he of course was all innocence. And the others in the carriage looked at me as though I were trouble. But I was damned if I was going to move my seat because this guy was an arse (and he yes WAS staring - not ever looking away).

These days minor things, especially on an internet board, are much simpler just being ignored.

But yes, standing up to people, on a practical basis when you can (ie don't bother if it'll lead to endless arguing especially if the other person is only in it to mouth off, or when there's an insurmountable power imbalance) is worth it.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Oct 2017, 15:22

Belle Lettre wrote:Been thinking about Anna's post. One reason I didn't feel inclined to join in with "me too" is a certain reluctance to go into details about my pusillanimous reactions when confronted with that sort of thing. I wish I'd been more aggressive.

Well, it breaks my heart to read that. I think the majority of people would freeze. Plus, because. I so often got into weird situations which happens if you walk home at 2am through badly lit areas, through red light districts, I was on constant high alert and had adrenaline pumping constantly and I was always ready to get into it.
Bit like being on BCB.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Oct 2017, 15:28

Bubble News Cycle wrote:

Well, it breaks my heart to read that. I think the majority of people would freeze. Plus, because. I so often got into weird situations which happens if you walk home at 2am through badly lit areas, through red light districts, I was on constant high alert and had adrenaline pumping constantly and I was always ready to get into it.
Bit like being on BCB.

Edited to add: this is the other thing. Years later and you are wishing YOU had acted differently, a burden you should never have had to carry in the first place. This shit is so embedded.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Oct 2017, 15:34

Former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly paid $32 million earlier this year to settle sexual harassment claims from a coworker, the New York Times reported on Saturday.

Here's a thing.

While Weinstein was a horrible lech it was still just him and her (and her and her and her) touching or looking or even actually having sex. While there may have been harassment and power tripping and humiliation there was no battery per se (that I know of yet). In many sorts of legal situations money seems to go a long way to make restitution. If I were raped, which is not what Weinstein is being accused of yet, but if I were in a similar situation as some of these women and offered some millions to entice me to drop charges I might take the money. Have we heard yet of criminal charges against Weinstein?
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 24 Oct 2017, 15:39

Jimbo wrote:While Weinstein was a horrible lech it was still just him and her (and her and her and her) touching or looking or even actually having sex. While there may have been harassment and power tripping and humiliation there was no battery per se (that I know of yet). In many sorts of legal situations money seems to go a long way to make restitution. If I were raped, which is not what Weinstein is being accused of yet, but if I were in a similar situation as some of these women and offered some millions to entice me to drop charges I might take the money. Have we heard yet of criminal charges against Weinstein?

Several rape allegations

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... now-so-far

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Oct 2017, 15:45

There are other stories too of what people have to do to get a job or be in with a chance of getting a job. Like this from Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41664809
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Oct 2017, 15:49

"Could Harvey Weinstein go to jail?" https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... ons-prison

According to the Guardian it seems unlikely.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Oct 2017, 14:39

kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 17:04

We have a ton of halloween candy at my place and I'm trying to unload it. I had some sour candy I was giving to the young woman in the cubicle next to me. I made the mistake of telling my boss that "Alex" and I our buddies and I bring candy she can have. He made a joke about the old man bringing candy to young girls. . .

I don't bring the candy anymore.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Oct 2017, 17:54

that's only bad if you're a stranger, sloop!
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 19:26

Journalist Mark Halperin just got accused by five women he worked with at ABC News. He's taken a leave of absence from MSNBC.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 18:22

sloopjohnc wrote:Journalist Mark Halperin just got accused by five women he worked with at ABC News. He's taken a leave of absence from MSNBC.

Let go from MSNBC and HBO this morning.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Oct 2017, 16:08

Reading another article today about how Weinstein raped actress Annabella Sciorra and Daryl Hannah. Yesterday, it was California rep, Jackie Speier, speaking out.

While all this has been happening, it just astounds me that guys would do this - I would be shocked if any of my friends or the males in my family ever did anything like this ever. Why guys would think this was okay is beyond me.

But then again, guys think it's a come-on by sending photos of the ugliest piece of their anatomy. It's like sending a photo of their poop with "I'm sure you'll like the smell too."

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Oct 2017, 18:34

sloopjohnc wrote:Reading another article today about how Weinstein raped actress Annabella Sciorra and Daryl Hannah. Yesterday, it was California rep, Jackie Speier, speaking out.

Just to be clear, he raped Sciorra. He didn't rape Hannah, it didn't get that far, and he had nothing to do with Speier.

sloopjohnc wrote:While all this has been happening, it just astounds me that guys would do this - I would be shocked if any of my friends or the males in my family ever did anything like this ever. Why guys would think this was okay is beyond me.

Neither you, your friends nor your family are in a position of power like that, dealing with people who want something from you like a Hollywood break. Some very successful people ... how can I put this ... have come to the realisation over the years that they can get away with stuff. They push the boundaries and still get away with it. What they get away with beggars belief. And some (easy to call them twisted) individuals push it to the max because they've put themselves in extraordinary positions. They know very well it's not "OK". But they don't live by other people's rules (I'm not just thinking of Weinstein and Savile but in the past and to lesser extents some rock stars, footballers etc). On much much smaller scales (because they can't get away with it anywhere nearly as much) some "ordinary" people do. There are power plays in the most mundane of situations. I'd hazard to say that what they (the rapists) all have in common is the fact they're all sociopaths (with sub-group narcissists).

sloopjohnc wrote:But then again, guys think it's a come-on by sending photos of the ugliest piece of their anatomy. It's like sending a photo of their poop with "I'm sure you'll like the smell too."

:lol: "Look at the size of my magnificent poo - yeah!!"

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Oct 2017, 18:57

There's an actor in the UK called Martin Clunes - no reason to know of him outside the UK, and apparently he told a paper (The Sun - not exactly known for its truth) that flirting with producers is a form of prostitution.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 22926.html

It may not be true but I'm a bit taken aback by some of the comments below the article.