Harvey Weinstein in trouble

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Thang-y

Re: Harvey Weinstein in trouble

Postby Thang-y » 23 Oct 2017, 19:21

Fair enough.

I was confused for a mo as I googled Allred press conference and the latest thing to come up was someone accusing Trump.

God those lawyers .. they're also publicists aren't they. And stars in their own right. I see that lawyer's daughter was being defensive of Weinstein.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Oct 2017, 19:24

It’s certainly true for Gloria Allred.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Oct 2017, 23:35

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:From when I was a little kid, I never understood catcalling. How could it be interpreted as anything but hostile?

Well, pathetic, too, I guess. Hostile and pathetic.

This comment belongs in the virtue signaling thread.

Expressing long-held opinions is now 'virtue signalling'?

I know pretty much what catcalling is and in the context of this thread it is making unsolicited comments to a usually strange woman about how sexy they appear. It could be a wolf whistle or a "Hey mama" or something much cruder, I'm sure. In my case I don't vocalize my appreciation, not loudly at least, but do get such a thrill when I spy and then look again (not quite an eyes pop out of head ogle or leer but kinda) a pretty woman or girl, especially one who dressed fine in form hugging clothes and made up just so, God help me but somehow or other, involuntarily, a "Sheeit," or "My god," will pass my lips. My next move would be approaching the woman to say thank you for making a hum drum trip outside my home a joy. If I were single and didn't look like Mr. Peanut I'd try to, as the Brits say, chat her up. It's not catcalling per se but I think I can relate to a guy saying "Hey baby," or "Hey mama," or letting out a whistle or "Ow!" toward a fine woman. That's why Charlie's strongly stated opinion which veered from not understanding this behavior to calling it hostile and pathetic irked me. The virtue signaling part comes in because I don't think Charlie really believes this but he is "signaling" to Minnie that he is on her side and that catcalling is wrong.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 23 Oct 2017, 23:41

Jimbo wrote:In my case I don't vocalize my appreciation, not loudly at least, but do get such a thrill when I spy and then look again (not quite an eyes pop out of head ogle or leer but kinda) a pretty woman or girl, especially one who dressed fine in form hugging clothes and made up just so, God help be but somehow or other, involuntarily, a "Sheeit," or "My god," will pass my lips. My next move would be approaching the woman to say thank you for making a hum drum trip outside my home a joy.

:lol:

You're such a fucking dinosaur, Jimbo.
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Oct 2017, 23:44

R. Swipe wrote:
Jimbo wrote:In my case I don't vocalize my appreciation, not loudly at least, but do get such a thrill when I spy and then look again (not quite an eyes pop out of head ogle or leer but kinda) a pretty woman or girl, especially one who dressed fine in form hugging clothes and made up just so, God help be but somehow or other, involuntarily, a "Sheeit," or "My god," will pass my lips. My next move would be approaching the woman to say thank you for making a hum drum trip outside my home a joy.

:lol:

You're such a fucking dinosaur, Jimbo.

Yes! I have been thinking this. That my mania is old fashioned, that I am getting old and i am out of step with many younger people. I fucking hate tattoos and techno music. But I do love me a pretty girl.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2017, 23:45

Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 23 Oct 2017, 23:46

:)

"made up just so" is like something out of O. Henry. I can't believe I'm reading this shit.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Oct 2017, 10:08

Diamond Dog wrote:
R. Swipe wrote:You know what 'catcalling' is, Jimbo?You think it's OK to 'ogle' women?

Diamond Dog wrote:One can only believe he does.

A really good comment I saw was that men shouldn't say anything to a woman that they wouldn't want said to them in an all male prison.

Deebank wrote:At risk of being accused of virtue signalling, don't we have a whole thread of men ogling women?

Could you explain why you made that particular comment whilst quoting my post?

It wasn't aimed at you or John (or Jimbo for that matter) but you were discussing 'ogling' so it seemed pertinent to the debate.
For my part I think there is an 'ogling' element to the crush thread.I suppose it depends on your definition of the word though.

I was watching Marley & Me the other day and the Owen Wilson's character's best buddy in the film is a handsome journalist who routinely accosts women in the street and suggests going for coffee or meals or whatever. It is OK because he's handsome obviously. He's still acting like a sex pest twat though if you ask me.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Oct 2017, 10:11

Thang-y wrote:Fair enough.

I was confused for a mo as I googled Allred press conference and the latest thing to come up was someone accusing Trump.

God those lawyers .. they're also publicists aren't they. And stars in their own right. I see that lawyer's daughter was being defensive of Weinstein.

Christ what's wrong with that guy's face? He's ugly and deformed!

... The guy standing with trump looks a bit weird too... Arf!

This 'joke' was meant to be about the pic in Thangy's sig :oops:

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 24 Oct 2017, 10:56

Deebank wrote:Christ what's wrong with that guy's face? He's ugly and deformed!

Given I'm going to get rid of it, thought I'd post it here

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Oct 2017, 12:24

Damon and Clooney have come out and said they weren't aware of it. It will be interesting to find out (if we ever do) who knew and didn't do anything. I mean his is brother, who I think he was very close to, is he in trouble of not reporting this if he knew?
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Oct 2017, 12:25

Thang-y wrote:
Deebank wrote:Christ what's wrong with that guy's face? He's ugly and deformed!

Given I'm going to get rid of it, thought I'd post it here

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Oct 2017, 13:10

The Great Defector wrote:Damon and Clooney have come out and said they weren't aware of it. It will be interesting to find out (if we ever do) who knew and didn't do anything. I mean his is brother, who I think he was very close to, is he in trouble of not reporting this if he knew?

The problem is knew what exactly? It's very difficult to know exactly what two people get up to in a room. The only way you can really pass judgement on that is to have the evidence presented in a court of law.
I think far more culpability rests with Miramax employees who were working on a regular basis with Weinstein, at least a moral culpability (I'm not qualified to say whether that has a legal culpability too, although it's possible that they could be seen to be assisting in a crime if you could prove they had foreknowledge, but that would be very difficult to prove). I can't believe they wouldn't have noted patterns of behaviour or witnessed traumatised victims. But with actors and directors I think it's far more difficult to start making judgements.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Oct 2017, 13:15

Damon said he knew he was a "womanizer", which I assume means he was very flirty with women, which in itself can be harassment if unwanted. I have a feeling he knows more than he's letting on. Maybe not to the level of what we're finding out but still being overly inappropriate to women.

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 24 Oct 2017, 13:27

What I find really depressing about this whole thing is not just the hideous Weinstein, but the testimony of some of his victims. They often talk about his legal teams making out-of-court settlements (often after issuing threats) to silence them. It’s the old money = power thing but in this case it’s especially disturbing because these are lives that are ruined, careers destroyed.

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 24 Oct 2017, 13:30

You know, “here’s $100 000, sign here and shut the fuck up about it”.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Oct 2017, 13:31

Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film is a good book about Weinstein. He comes across as a complete cunt in it. There's stories of him doing really nice things for people but then they have to cough up when he needs things. Also he treated up and coming directors/scriptwriters like shit when he was finished with them. They had no money to fight him in court so they lost out on earnings, or unable to get out of shitty contracts.

Nick

Postby Nick » 24 Oct 2017, 14:36

Bubble News Cycle wrote:... it never occurred to me in a million years that there would be a single woman - because although men are sexually assaulted, the overwhelming majority of assaults, harassments and day to day fucking tedious wankery happens to women - not a single woman who would NOT be able to write "Me Too." It's my assumption that this has happened to EVERY WOMAN.

Something that did astonish me - was the amount of (mainly) men responding with responses along the lines of - oh god, really? something happened to you too? To their (mainly) female friends. It's sort of beyond me that people would not know that this is as common as breathing.

Yes, on both counts.

I've been genuinely amazed, and not a little sceptical, at the responses of some men along those lines. It's like, how could you not even have noticed it happening right in front of you from time to time, even if no woman had ever spoken to you about it? Open your fucking eyes.

A relatively low-level example. Some years ago, I tried internet dating for a while. And on first dates with women I met via that route, we invariably swapped anecdotes about our experiences on there. The stories they told me of men being seedy, crude, aggressive, or manipulative, sending unsolicited dick pics, being abusive and harassing when they were politely turned down, you name it, were legion. I don't recall even one of them ever saying she hadn't had at least a few online encounters with creeps. Some of the tales made what's left of my hair stand on end.

And that's barely the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of scumbags out there.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Oct 2017, 14:58

When the lass and I were chatting initially she used to send me pics and tell me stories about the guys who had contacted her on Match. We laughed at the time and would joke that this guy was clearly a rapist or whatever. Thankfully for her it was mostly silly stuff like dodgy profile pics and ridiculous profile blurbs rather than dick pics and threatening behaviour. I remember one guy for example saying he was a “sensitive new age man” and he had a large Daily Sport centrefold on the wall behind him. All this was a hoot to us

Of course there is a real dark side to this stuff as well and it is remarkably common.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 24 Oct 2017, 15:00

Nick wrote:And that's barely the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of scumbags out there.

Many not thinking it's scumbag behaviour. (I'm going to exclude such things as catcalling and unoffensive flirting from relatively attractive people of the sameish age group and other examples which I see as perfectly natural.) You look at older TV comedy shows and the attitudes to women .. well if they were prevalent in the general populace then there'd be a hell of a lot of 'scumbag behaviour' out there by people thinking it was perfectly acceptable and if a 'girl' didn't like it she needed a sense of humour injection.

These days it may not be acceptable in the general populace but it's hardly surprising there are enclosed societies like the film industry where behaviour was not discussed but generally suspected if not known to go on.

Weinstein isn't sorry. He was perfectly aware of what he was doing. He was like a poor kid in a free sweet shop - he found out that he could get the sweeties and not get in trouble for it.

We've known for a while that others have done the same ... Benny Hill used to demand sex from women on his show. We're now hearing that Michael Winner got some women (one, a 16 year-old girl) to strip off and fondle their tits for him. I know of sexually-exploitative accounts from the music industry - I'd heard some Jimmy Savile stories which were just taken as fact.

In short - some don't see anything wrong with it (heavily influenced by general culture), others are exploiting the fact they've learned how to get away with it and in some areas of society they historically have been much more able to do so.