Harvey Weinstein in trouble

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Harvey Weinstein in trouble

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 06 Oct 2017, 10:24

Quite unsettling:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/h ... &smtyp=cur

Yes, it's not uncommon in Hollywood, it's been there for ages, etc. etc.

But you never really get used to it, do you?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Harvey Weinstein in trouble

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Oct 2017, 10:39

I'm sure the tutoring and therapists will help cure him of this debilitating condition
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 06 Oct 2017, 10:44

Goat Boy wrote:I'm sure the tutoring and therapists will help cure him of this debilitating condition

:D

Nice one, despite the subject matter. Perhaps he'll find back the real me he used to be.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Oct 2017, 10:58

Big "I'm With Her" supporter.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Oct 2017, 17:36

The guy just looks like a big blowhard, arrogant dickwad.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 06 Oct 2017, 18:00

sloopjohnc wrote:The guy just looks like a big blowhard, arrogant dickwad.

TBH, I didn't even know how he looks when starting to read the article. When I saw the pics, I thought like you do. But well, of course my perception was mightily biased by then...

...though I don't think I'd have seen him as some friendly and charmingly half-insane uncle, without this appalling news.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Oct 2017, 18:07

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

TBH, I didn't even know how he looks when starting to read the article. When I saw the pics, I thought like you do. But well, of course my perception was mightily biased by then...

...though I don't think I'd have seen him as some friendly and charmingly half-insane uncle, without this appalling news.

He's a Hollywood producer. By job definition, he's a dipshit.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 06 Oct 2017, 18:21

sloopjohnc wrote:

He's a Hollywood producer. By job definition, he's a dipshit.

Ah, yes, generally speaking. I read quite a few critical books on film and its industry long ago. IMHO Louis B. Mayer and some other moguls were in there. They were no philantropists, no.

quix

Postby quix » 06 Oct 2017, 23:43

People in the business would have known what he was like. There would have been stories, rumours. I can absolutely guarantee that. I would put my life savings on it.

The actresses management/agency would have known exactly what he was like. Young girls, actresses, would have been sent to meet with him or invited to a party via their agency and they would have gone in all innocence like lambs to the slaughter. No word of warning not to be alone with him or caution as to what he was like. No protection by inviting him to meet with them professionally at the agency. That’s not how it works. And it’s not how it works because the agents are complicit and they’re cowards.

The whole fame, film, fashion, music, business is full of fucking monsters.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Oct 2017, 10:55

quix wrote:People in the business would have known what he was like. There would have been stories, rumours. I can absolutely guarantee that. I would put my life savings on it.

The actresses management/agency would have known exactly what he was like. Young girls, actresses, would have been sent to meet with him or invited to a party via their agency and they would have gone in all innocence like lambs to the slaughter. No word of warning not to be alone with him or caution as to what he was like. No protection by inviting him to meet with them professionally at the agency. That’s not how it works. And it’s not how it works because the agents are complicit and they’re cowards.

The whole fame, film, fashion, music, business is full of fucking monsters.

Good call. Profitable fiction invites narcissists and sociopaths. Is my first thought.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Oct 2017, 12:02

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote: Profitable fiction invites narcissists and sociopaths. Is my first thought.

What does this mean?
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Oct 2017, 12:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote: Profitable fiction invites narcissists and sociopaths. Is my first thought.

What does this mean?

That English isn't his first language?
Last edited by Rayge on 07 Oct 2017, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

quix

Postby quix » 07 Oct 2017, 12:32

I think perhaps he means that industries based on selling images of fiction, fantasy, attract a certain type of dangerous person.

quix

Postby quix » 07 Oct 2017, 12:42

It’s true that those businesses do either attract or, more likely create, some dangerous characters. They have opportunities to exploit young women and men which aren’t as common in other areas of industry like banking for example. But they don’t act in isolation. There is always unconscious and often conscious acknowledgement of what they are doing. I know this from personal experience from when I was a model. I was seriously sexually assaulted by a very famous photographer and my agency knew full well what he was like. And so did his assistant. And the client. And everyone else surrounding him. He was a fucking monster. Everyone knew it. And no one said anything.

If I’d been then who I am now, I’d have pressed charges. At the time when I went to my agency in Italy, where it happened, and in London in pieces to tell them what happened they expressed concern and then swept it under the carpet and said if I knew what was best for me I should just put it down to experience and move on. They would deal it it. I was 17. And I didn’t tell anyone. I was so naive. And I was too ashamed.

The settlements that have been made in this case make me feel sick. Where’s the real justice for his victims? Where’s the expose of those who aided his behaviour? Where’s the accountability? Where was the protection for the girls he exploited and abused who needn’t have suffered?

Whatever is in the papers about him is the tip of the iceburg. You can be sure of that.
Last edited by quix on 07 Oct 2017, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Oct 2017, 12:48

Rayge wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

What does this mean?

That English isn't his first language.

Yes I know that.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Oct 2017, 13:38

Diamond Dog wrote:

What does this mean?

That I perhaps did not write very clearly.

And that types of business that involve mass entertainment, mass profits, and that can offer instant fame to young and beautiful people, may easily attract people who lust after power, cash, sex, and drugs. Those people aren't really known for their empathy, modesty, and honesty.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Oct 2017, 13:39

quix wrote:It’s true that those businesses do either attract or, more likely create, some dangerous characters. They have opportunities to exploit young women and men which aren’t as common in other areas of industry like banking for example. But they don’t act in isolation. There is always unconscious and often conscious acknowledgement of what they are doing. I know this from personal experience from when I was a model. I was seriously sexually assaulted by a very famous photographer and my agency knew full well what he was like. And so did his assistant. And the client. And everyone else surrounding him. He was a fucking monster. Everyone knew it. And no one said anything.

If I’d been then who I am now, I’d have pressed charges. At the time when I went to my agency in Italy, where it happened, and in London in pieces to tell them what happened they expressed concern and then swept it under the carpet and said if I knew what was best for me I should just put it down to experience and move on. They would deal it it. I was 17. And I didn’t tell anyone. I was so naive. And I was too ashamed.

The settlements that have been made in this case make me feel sick. Where’s the real justice for his victims? Where’s the expose of those who aided his behaviour? Where’s the accountability? Where was the protection for the girls he exploited and abused who needn’t have suffered?

Whatever is in the papers about him is the tip of the iceburg. You can be sure of that.

Thanks for this personal story, Quix.

quix

Postby quix » 07 Oct 2017, 14:34

Actually I wish I’d never posted it. Or remembered it. Every time a story like this comes out I remember it. Horrible.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Oct 2017, 14:45

Diamond Dog wrote:

What does this mean?

That I perhaps did not write very clearly.

And that types of business that involve mass entertainment, mass profits, and that can offer instant fame to young and beautiful people, may easily attract people who lust after power, cash, sex, and drugs. Those people aren't really known for their empathy, modesty, and honesty.

On what basis do you say that people who lust after sex and drugs are not known for empathy, modesty and honesty?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Oct 2017, 15:15

:oops:
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam