Male Feminist? If not, why not?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Joe Baxter

Male Feminist? If not, why not?

Postby Joe Baxter » 03 Oct 2017, 15:28

A bit of argie bargie elsewhere. Your thoughts please.

Nick

Re: Male Feminist? If not, why not?

Postby Nick » 03 Oct 2017, 15:34

Do you mean are any of us one, or do we think can one exist?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 03 Oct 2017, 15:39

I have no doubt that men can be feminist, a lady of my acquaintance argues otherwise.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 03 Oct 2017, 15:46

Boe Jaxter wrote:I have no doubt that men can be feminist, a lady of my acquaintance argues otherwise.

she's not a feminist then.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2017, 15:47

I think men can very much sympathize with feminist perspectives, but to be one truly? No.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 03 Oct 2017, 15:53

Have you seen Joe's tits?

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 03 Oct 2017, 15:55

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:Have you seen Joe's tits?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Oct 2017, 16:10

I think you can be, but I can see the opposing POV.
One of those arguments that goes round and round until ultimately a real female feminist chimes in with why privileged white males can’t be anything but PWMs.
Not that bothered really.
I’ll keep fighting for equality where I can.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2017, 16:15

I've just had this vision of Joe in his kilt, on top of a Munro, all triumphant and patriotic with the saltire flag in his manly hands and man tits flapping in the breeze.

Ooooft!!!
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 03 Oct 2017, 16:25

Goat Boy wrote:

I've just had this vision of Joe in his kilt, on top of a Munro, all triumphant and patriotic with the saltire flag in his manly hands and man tits flapping in the breeze.

Ooooft!!!

When I was scaling Munros, I did so without a Saltire and without moobs.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2017, 16:26

Mother, MAY I?
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 03 Oct 2017, 16:55

I support equal rights, opportunities and whatnot for women. Does that make me a feminist? I don't know. Seems the term has come to mean so many different things to so many different people that it's pretty redundant now anyway.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 03 Oct 2017, 17:09

If it helps me get a slice o’ sweet poontang, hell yes!
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2017, 17:17

I think you're all a bit feminine, to be frank.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Nick

Postby Nick » 03 Oct 2017, 17:37

PENK wrote:I support equal rights, opportunities and whatnot for women. Does that make me a feminist? I don't know. Seems the term has come to mean so many different things to so many different people that it's pretty redundant now anyway.

I tend to agree.

It's become difficult to even find common reference points for discussion sometimes. According to some activists and commentators, a man can become a woman simply by declaring that he identifies as one. Or indeed, can claim that they have always been one, and can expect to be taken seriously by some people. And feminists who disagree with these assertions are as a matter of routine furiously lambasted.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

algroth

Postby algroth » 03 Oct 2017, 18:03

Feminism, at least in its original meaning, is an ideology and social movement that seeks to establish equality among sexes in a culture that has been historically patriarchal and favorable towards men. It is not, as alt-righters like to believe and some extreme variants of third-wave feminism like to act like it is, a movement that seeks to empower women at the expense of men, or which seeks to punish and oppress men in retribution for their history towards the other sex. So yeah, I can definitely see how a man can be a feminist and would probably count myself amidst those "male feminists".

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2017, 18:14

algroth wrote:Feminism, at least in its original meaning, is an ideology and social movement that seeks to establish equality among sexes in a culture that has been historically patriarchal and favorable towards men. It is not, as alt-righters like to believe and some extreme variants of third-wave feminism like to act like it is, a movement that seeks to empower women at the expense of men, or which seeks to punish and oppress men in retribution for their history towards the other sex. So yeah, I can definitely see how a man can be a feminist and would probably count myself amidst those "male feminists".

I have a 21 year-old daughter who's very involved in these issues and she would very didactically and dialectically argue that a man can't be a true feminist. Believe me.

I kinda stop listening after awhile because she tends to use big words, but it sounds like she's saying the same thing as you can't truly be non-racist unless you're a person of color.

I don't get it because I know women and people of color who are biased against men and white folk based on their own predispositions.

I try to treat everyone fairly and if I get called on it, try to examine why someone would say that. Kinda what Penk wrote, but I don't think that really gets as deep into the issue as some people think it should.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2017, 18:41

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Boe Jaxter wrote:I have no doubt that men can be feminist, a lady of my acquaintance argues otherwise.

Could you man-splain this position for us?
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

algroth

Postby algroth » 03 Oct 2017, 18:44

sloopjohnc wrote:
algroth wrote:Feminism, at least in its original meaning, is an ideology and social movement that seeks to establish equality among sexes in a culture that has been historically patriarchal and favorable towards men. It is not, as alt-righters like to believe and some extreme variants of third-wave feminism like to act like it is, a movement that seeks to empower women at the expense of men, or which seeks to punish and oppress men in retribution for their history towards the other sex. So yeah, I can definitely see how a man can be a feminist and would probably count myself amidst those "male feminists".

I have a 21 year-old daughter who's very involved in these issues and she would very didactically and dialectically argue that a man can't be a true feminist. Believe me.

I kinda stop listening after awhile because she tends to use big words, but it sounds like she's saying the same thing as you can't truly be non-racist unless you're a person of color.

Here's an issue where I have to disagree, I'm afraid. I think a problem with many social movements in the current day and age is that they are very willing to interchangeably use sexual/racial prejudice and actual sexism/racism. Prejudice is something none of us can escape, not even while trying to be as fair as possible in all these matters - but having prejudices doesn't make you racist or sexist, as these denote a hateful and discriminatory element that prejudice may have but doesn't necessarily. To use an example from my personal childhood... Black people in Buenos Aires are *extremely* rare, so much so that when a new classmate entered our school from Nigeria, he was the only black person in the school from students of all years (each year averaging 125 pupils), teachers and other staff. From our behalf as schoolmates of the same year, probably many of us thought it was kinda awesome, and we thought we ought to make him feel accepted and part of the class as best as we could. We did just that, and years later even, when his family moved to the UK and he along with them, he later came back to Argentina for wanting to be with us and a friend of ours also got him a job at his family company and so on. I do think in all of this that prejudice exists and that there's a degree of wrongness to it all - but the end result is hardly one that expresses hate towards a minority or anything of the sort. I don't think this is an act of *racism* even when his race was probably a major motivator in how he was accepted to the group and so on, and thus a clear example of racial prejudice. It's something which should be criticized all the same, but which shouldn't be put in the same bag at all.

Moreover I don't think racism and feminism are nearly the same thing. I do think that even if men can't escape their prejudice towards women, they can still seek to fight it and push a feminist ideal in their life, workplace, etc., under the greater belief that men and women ought to be equal and ought to be deserving of equal chances. I don't think this is necessarily made impossible by the presence of prejudices, so long as they are fought against where recognized by the individual.
Last edited by algroth on 03 Oct 2017, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 03 Oct 2017, 18:50

bobzilla77 wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

Could you man-splain this position for us?

OK, I'll try.

Feminists do not argue for starters. They smash you in the teeth.

Feminists don't wear watches. They tell you how late it is.

Feminists don't eat honey. They eat the bees.

etc., etc.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod