Mass shooting in Vegas...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sneelock

Re: Mass shooting in Vegas...

Postby Sneelock » 03 Oct 2017, 01:51

kath wrote:meanwhile, guess what republicans are calling their bill to make getting silencers easier?

the hearing protection act.

my god. that is ghastly.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 03 Oct 2017, 05:30

Gun lobby pressure causing an effective ban on research of firearm injuries by the National Center for Injury Prevention, leaving hospitals less well prepared for what happened in Las Vegas.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... h_too.html
king of the divan

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Oct 2017, 05:40

October 2. Happy International Day of Non-Violence everyone! http://www.un.org/en/events/nonviolenceday/index.shtml

persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Oct 2017, 08:09

Ever since the total acceptance of Sandy Hook, I've given up. I don't think there is any other rational reaction - except of course to keep fighting, but personally I see no point.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2017, 14:10

Over 11,000 people have died in 2017 from gun incidents. It's staggering stuff really.

But when you break down the stats, that's 50 states, some obviously much more violent than others. Some people never leave their state, let alone the country. Over 350 million people in the USA, and a country the size of Europe at least. If you can imagine someone living in San Fran caring about someone in NYC, then perhaps you might begin to get an inkling for a consensus about how gun control might play out. I guess what I'm trying to say is in that such a huge country where violence seems to be pretty common, these things unfortunately get atomized in the perception of many.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Oct 2017, 14:17

Sneelock wrote:
kath wrote:meanwhile, guess what republicans are calling their bill to make getting silencers easier?

the hearing protection act.

my god. that is ghastly.

I was 99% sure that was a joke when she posted it yesterday.

:|
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Oct 2017, 14:31

Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Oct 2017, 14:44

Every interview of gun lovers in a position in their community (I was watching a Mayor just now, I forget the area) by UK TV journalists has the same outcome - either deviation (more people killed by cars, former Congress Woman Giffords' husband did a naughty thing and wanted to buy XYZ type of gun.....) or they blatantly talk over the interviewer and shut them down. They all smile and beam. It's depressing.
Any chance of meaningful discussion and insight is on a hiding to nothing
Last edited by Samoan on 03 Oct 2017, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Oct 2017, 14:52

Geezee wrote:Ever since the total acceptance of Sandy Hook, I've given up. I don't think there is any other rational reaction - except of course to keep fighting, but personally I see no point.

Yep. A gunman attacked the very people who write the gun laws at a baseball practice - nothing changed. If THAT doesn't do the trick for those assholes nothing will.

I'm tired of this.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

fange

Postby fange » 03 Oct 2017, 15:15

Count Machuki wrote:
I'm tired of this.

I bet you are, mate. And most US people would be too, I reckon. It's just the vocal minority with vested interests that keep this insane situation like this.
Horrific.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2017, 16:22

Count Machuki wrote:Yep. A gunman attacked the very people who write the gun laws at a baseball practice - nothing changed. If THAT doesn't do the trick for those assholes nothing will.

My sentiments exactly.

Typical US, they're blaming hotel security instead of the nut who had 20+ high powered rifles and pistols in his fucking hotel room.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Oct 2017, 08:05

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Yep. A gunman attacked the very people who write the gun laws at a baseball practice - nothing changed. If THAT doesn't do the trick for those assholes nothing will.

My sentiments exactly.

Typical US, they're blaming hotel security instead of the nut who had 20+ high powered rifles and pistols in his fucking hotel room.

Maybe you guys could answer this - as Las Vegas is in an 'open carry' State, would it be legal for hotels to even try to stop individuals taking weaponry to their rooms/around the hotel?
So you're living in Eden where, apples are good
But every narrow miracle, takes place on Earth
Yeah, some militia have arrived and, the percussion has come
And they're pounding out messages loud on the drum

mission

Postby mission » 04 Oct 2017, 10:47

My understanding is that laws allowing open carry operate in the street and in common areas but it is up to individual businesses to dictate what they allow on their premises.

Somewhat mindfuckingly, Las Vegas county enacted legislation in 2012 governing the kinds of things street performers could use in their acts; outlawing various dangerous items like swords and sticks and, yes, toy guns because they could frighten or endanger the punters.

Real guns are completely fine, toy guns are not.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/cou ... sidewalks/
Good.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Oct 2017, 10:55

mission wrote:My understanding is that laws allowing open carry operate in the street and in common areas but it is up to individual businesses to dictate what they allow on their premises.

Somewhat mindfuckingly, Nevada recently enacted legislation governing the kinds of things street performers could use in their acts; outlawing various dangerous items like swords and sticks and, yes, toy guns because they could frighten or endanger the punters.

Real guns are completely fine, toy guns are not.

Thanks for that info in the first paragraph.

Yes I'd forgotten the second part of your post - it was for the whole of the city but was (primarily) because of the 'entertainers' who formed around the "Fremont Street Experience" downtown (i.e. not on The Strip).

But it takes a special kind of stupid to enact that particular bylaw.
So you're living in Eden where, apples are good
But every narrow miracle, takes place on Earth
Yeah, some militia have arrived and, the percussion has come
And they're pounding out messages loud on the drum

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Oct 2017, 15:40

mission wrote:My understanding is that laws allowing open carry operate in the street and in common areas but it is up to individual businesses to dictate what they allow on their premises.

I think this is correct. Here in Georgia there have been statutes to define schools (well, universities) and churches (almost certainly Christian ones) as public spaces. Yes, you can carry an assault rifle at church.

:(
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Oct 2017, 16:37

so, at least the Repubs have the good sense to table that "hearing protection" act just like they did after the LAST high profile shooting. If I'm not mistaken, the same goes with that terrible "concealed carry reciprocity" bill that allows concealed carry from state to state. this leads me to believe, hope against hope, that they CAN be shamed.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Oct 2017, 17:31

Donald Trump throwing out rolls of paper towels in Puerto Rico was so Donald Trump.

Epitomizes his photo ops.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Oct 2017, 19:37

I wonder if this has put to bed the whole "we need more good guys with guns" nonsense.

Imagine what would have happened if anyone in the audience had attempted to return fire.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Oct 2017, 20:54

Deebank wrote:I wonder if this has put to bed the whole "we need more good guys with guns" nonsense.

Imagine what would have happened if anyone in the audience had attempted to return fire.

Can't remember which recent USA-shooting it was but didn't I read that none of the people who were near that event who wore guns never attempted to use them?

In the meantime- how can you start a discussion when stores like Wal-Mart set up these type of displays?

Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Oct 2017, 21:04

Deebank wrote:I wonder if this has put to bed the whole "we need more good guys with guns" nonsense.

There were plenty of cops in the audience, but you can't fire back at someone shooting from the 32nd floor of a hotel room, 400 yards away with high-powered, automatic weapons.