Mass shooting in Vegas...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Mass shooting in Vegas...

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2017, 12:11

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Las Vegas has some of the least stringent gun laws in the US.

Which, to put it mildly, means just about anyone can just about buy anything.

Thanks Pete.

From that BBC report :

Nevada has some of the least stringent gun laws in the United States.

People are allowed to carry weapons and do not have to register themselves as a gun-owner.

Background checks are done when people buy guns, but they are also allowed to sell them privately.

The state does not ban assault weapons, which are automatic or semi-automatic firearms, and there are no limits on buying ammunition there.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2017, 12:23

martha wrote:50 dead. 200 wounded. It's just mind-bogglingly awful shit.

fucquin horrible.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 02 Oct 2017, 12:45

Diamond Dog wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Las Vegas has some of the least stringent gun laws in the US.

Which, to put it mildly, means just about anyone can just about buy anything.

Thanks Pete.

From that BBC report :

Nevada has some of the least stringent gun laws in the United States.

People are allowed to carry weapons and do not have to register themselves as a gun-owner.

Background checks are done when people buy guns, but they are also allowed to sell them privately.

The state does not ban assault weapons, which are automatic or semi-automatic firearms, and there are no limits on buying ammunition there.

Incredible and mind-boggling...
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2017, 13:02

Not really mind-boggling. Surely we already knew many states had very loose restrictions on buying guns?
The consequences of that, in this and similar cases, is truly terrible of course.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2017, 14:48

Latest (confirmed) reports are over 50 dead and maybe 400 injured.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Oct 2017, 14:53

The predictability of it doesn't change the fact that a death toll of 50-plus people and 400 or so wounded is mind-boggling. Preventable? yes. Predictable? Sadly yes. Too horrific for most people's brains to even process? Yeah.

I wish that a catastrophe of this level would precipitate a discussion on Mental Health in the United States and our need for psychiatric health coverage as well as assault rifles in the United States and our need for gun control.

No civilian should have an assault rifle. Listening to the popcorn sound effect of that and knowing what it meant for the people there was nauseating for me this morning. What will it take for the discussion on gun control to actually happen in America?
--m.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 02 Oct 2017, 14:57

It's even less likely to happen on Trump's watch, isn't it? I was reading about how the NRA had poured $$$$ into his campaign.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 02 Oct 2017, 15:01

Surely we all know by now that the only way to stop terrorism and mass murder is to have a travel ban on Venezuela.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2017, 15:43

"'The 8-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end'.
"I will never ever infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

"You have a true friend and champion in the White House," he said. "No longer will federal agencies come after law abiding gun owners.

"No longer will the government be trying to undermine your rights and freedoms as Americans. We want to assure you of the sacred right of defence for all our citizens."

Trump to the NRA, after his election.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2017, 16:21

martha wrote:No civilian should have an assault rifle.

Simple as this.

I would vote for the harshest, strictest gun laws possible if they came up for vote.

But I do understand recreational hunting and if people feel the need for self-protection. I understand them according to the constitution, but they are not two things I would personally do.

But, neither hunters nor people who feel the need to protect themselves with a firearm need a semi-automatic weapon, and one that fires at long range.

Just last night, I was watching a show on domestic terrorism - Ruby Ridge, Waco, OKC, and then I wake up to this. The ironic thing is the show said that gun sales spiked after the Brady Bill passed, and I know in California, that they spiked this last year when California's gun laws became stricter.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Oct 2017, 16:32

The open casting call for "grief actors" should have raised some eyebrows, I'd think.

RIGHT, JIMBO?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2017, 16:34

There's a graphic on the BBC website showing the long term decline of gun ownership in the US. That's something to be encouraged by I guess.
The problem is the nutters will be the last ones to let their guns go.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2017, 16:36

50 and counting dead fazes me. The scary thing is stories in my local paper, below, don't anymore.

OAKLAND — Three men were wounded by gunfire Sunday night and afternoon in different areas of Oakland, authorities said Monday.

None of those wounded suffered life-threatening wounds and none of the shootings appear to be related, authorities said.
The most recent shooting happened about 10:17 p.m. Sunday in the 8200 block of MacArthur Boulevard in East Oakland.

A 31-year-old man was found shot in the lower back and was taken to a hospital.

Police believe he may have gotten into a dispute with another man before being shot. No motive was released and no arrests made.

At 9:19 p.m. Sunday a 32-year-old man was shot in the arm while sitting in his car in the 2400 block of Monticello Avenue in another part of East Oakland. He was in stable condition.

Authorities believe the victim was shot by someone outside the car. No motive has been determined yet and no arrests made.

Just after 1 p.m. Sunday, a 51-year-old man was grazed on the hip in a shooting in the 600 block of West MacArthur Boulevard in West Oakland.

The man told police he was riding his bicycle when another man shot him.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2017, 16:44

Watching an interview with the gunman's brother, who lives close by, he says he is completely dumbfounded. He said his brother had no military background and didn't even know he owned guns. Last text he got from his was about their mom and completely mundane stuff.

His brother described him as "a guy who lived in Mesquite and eats burritos."
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 02 Oct 2017, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2017, 16:44

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Oct 2017, 17:02

martha wrote: What will it take for the discussion on gun control to actually happen in America?

"How dare you politicize this tragedy in the midst of our national grieving?"

- someone

If this had been a terrorist attack, all you'd be hearing was a ratcheting up of hysteria, travel bans, better intelligence and so on, but since it's a "lone wolf" (that's dog whistle for "white guy"), there's nothing we can do except pray.

:roll:
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Oct 2017, 17:12

Fox News just doesn't fucking give up. They're going to win at this rate.

Hillary Clinton slammed for 'ignorant' statement on guns after Las Vegas shooting
Fox News 1h ago
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Oct 2017, 17:28

Diamond Dog wrote:"'The 8-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end'.
"I will never ever infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

"You have a true friend and champion in the White House," he said. "No longer will federal agencies come after law abiding gun owners.

"No longer will the government be trying to undermine your rights and freedoms as Americans. We want to assure you of the sacred right of defence for all our citizens."

Trump to the NRA, after his election.

Given how much he lies about seemingly everything else, I wish I could believe that these statements were true to form...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Oct 2017, 19:15

watch that phrase "lone wolf" instantly disappear from our discourse.
https://apnews.com/a3554c3250644262af3f5b94d57b1def
as if the horror of the thing weren't enough now we've got to endure that great big ugly nationalist knee jerk reflex which seems to be this Administration's response to.... well... pretty much everything!
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2017, 22:21

Sneelock wrote:watch that phrase "lone wolf" instantly disappear from our discourse.
https://apnews.com/a3554c3250644262af3f5b94d57b1def
as if the horror of the thing weren't enough now we've got to endure that great big ugly nationalist knee jerk reflex which seems to be this Administration's response to.... well... pretty much everything!

meanwhile, guess what republicans are calling their bill to make getting silencers easier?

the hearing protection act.