Catalan Referendum

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist

Re: Catalan Referendum

Postby The Modernist » 03 Oct 2017, 09:57

I don't know about a trend towards a federal Europe, I'd say the trend is the opposite. Look at brexit!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2017, 10:09

Well, the EU prefers deeper integration. The creation of a European army for example.

I don't think the column's viewpoint is too far off personally - many commentators are observing that in the West, and in Europe particularly, that we are moving towards a city-state situation, purely because the separation between urban and rural living is growing faster and faster.

London is pretty much a City-State already.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Oct 2017, 10:15

The Modernist wrote:I don't know about a trend towards a federal Europe, I'd say the trend is the opposite. Look at brexit!

This is where I'm afraid it gets conspiratorial. There are forces, interested parties, "non-state actors," those who would benefit from a united Europe. If you think revolutions like the Arab Spring, the Orange and then the Maidan revolutions in Ukraine and now Catalonia, and maybe even the Scottish independence movement (don't hear much about this) are organic with no financiers, no parties who'd benefit, who'd then get a bigger piece of the pie, then I think you are wrong. The "leave" vote could have been a reaction to this conspiracy theory that Europe is taking over. But then, watch how slowly the UK government is moving on Brexit. The UK Column guys predict that Britain will never actually leave the EU despite the vote, that those same "interested parties" will see to it.

Oh, and keep your eye on what's happening in Iraq with "Kurdistan."

http://www.atimes.com/article/unravelli ... pipedream/
I love you.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 Oct 2017, 11:24

There were quite a few "interested parties" funding the Brexit campaign.
This worrying article is well worth a read:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -democracy

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2017, 11:26

Hang on a minute, I'm just going to copy and paste a 10,000 word article I found somewhere.

I'd be interested in what you think about it....
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2017, 11:26

Toby wrote:Well, the EU prefers deeper integration. The creation of a European army for example.

Is that right, Toby? I thought they were looking for a unified defence stategy and co-operation between member states - but that's not the same thing. There are unquestionably people (like Juncker, I believe) who have said they'd like an EU Army, but that's not even been discussed (as I'm aware) on any formal basis.
The leaves have lost hold of the branches as always, Which leaves us with gold and win coloured pathways

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 Oct 2017, 11:33

Toby wrote:Well, the EU prefers deeper integration. The creation of a European army for example.

I don't think the column's viewpoint is too far off personally - many commentators are observing that in the West, and in Europe particularly, that we are moving towards a city-state situation, purely because the separation between urban and rural living is growing faster and faster.

London is pretty much a City-State already.

Sure. But I don't think a more integrated EU with its rules and regulations over trade is particularly conducive towards that. A completely deregulated situation where companies are not operating within any parameters is. Global laissez-faire economics is surely the goal.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Oct 2017, 13:52

The Modernist wrote:There were quite a few "interested parties" funding the Brexit campaign.

:o

That's some brave new world shit.
I love you.

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Oct 2017, 20:27

Goat Boy wrote:Hang on a minute, I'm just going to copy and paste a 10,000 word article I found somewhere.

:lol:

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Oct 2017, 20:40

The Modernist wrote:There were quite a few "interested parties" funding the Brexit campaign.

I'll read more later but the first 5 minutes reading is scary stuff!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Oct 2017, 00:16

Goat Boy wrote:Hang on a minute, I'm just going to copy and paste a 10,000 word article I found somewhere.

Is it from Viz? if not, nah, you're grand big lad.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!