Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 00:37

Rayge wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Matt Harringay wrote:Fuck Uber.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'd rather fucking walk.

What happened to your bike?

He rented it out by the hour.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Re: Uber loses London licence

Postby German Dave » 16 Nov 2017, 07:54

sloopjohnc wrote:He rented it out by the hour.

As long as he didn't exploit anyone and the money didn't go to some cunts on the other side of the earth.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 16 Nov 2017, 08:17

Matt Harringay wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:He rented it out by the hour.

As long as he didn't exploit anyone and the money didn't go to some cunts on the other side of the earth.

Or feathered the pension nest of some public sector scroungers.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Nov 2017, 08:30

As Toby once said on here (and I paraphrase) "When a taxi from the far north of London to the deep south of London, on a busy Friday evening, only coasts a tenner... you know someone's getting screwed".

Amen.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Nov 2017, 12:00

sloopjohnc wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

Yo. I'm totally on your side.

AirBnB, Uber, and their ilk stink filthily, and become filthily lucrative, and they reek of exploitation and shady dealings. Needless to say there are many people who have adopted the new world order thinking: if I benefit from it, it's good! Good for everyone!

I don't buy into that line of thought.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/jia-t ... f-to-death

People love to blame Uber and other more notorious gig economy perpetrators, but corporate America is doing this all the time now. I get two or three emails and calls a day from recruiters for contract marcom jobs at Facebook, Google, etc.

My last contract gig was at Blue Shield, one of California's largest health insurers, supposedly non-profit. You'd think a non-profit health insurer would have more integrity. You'd think. Blue Shield is getting sued by the state of California on tax evasion due to faking their non-profit status by the way.

Welcome to the new economy, fellas - and feel lucky that teaching and research jobs probably won't be made temporary/contractual within your working lifetimes.

Thanks for your reply, Sloop -

it is a system that is forced upon people, that is true. It's deep irony and deeply shameful: an economic "vision" (a madman's idea, IMHO) that promises "total freedom of choice in a free society" eventually leaves folks no choice whatsoever to earn a decent income.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Nov 2017, 15:25

sloopjohnc wrote:

AirBnB, Uber, and their ilk stink filthily, and become filthily lucrative, and they reek of exploitation and shady dealings. Needless to say there are many people who have adopted the new world order thinking: if I benefit from it, it's good! Good for everyone!

People love to blame Uber and other more notorious gig economy perpetrators, but corporate America is doing this all the time now. I get two or three emails and calls a day from recruiters for contract marcom jobs at Facebook, Google, etc.

My last contract gig was at Blue Shield, one of California's largest health insurers, supposedly non-profit. You'd think a non-profit health insurer would have more integrity. You'd think. Blue Shield is getting sued by the state of California on tax evasion due to faking their non-profit status by the way.

Welcome to the new economy, fellas - and feel lucky that teaching and research jobs probably won't be made temporary/contractual within your working lifetimes.

Have you tried the new start up "Stack"?

Great for when you need a pre-teen to go up your chimney with a brush, they absolutely love it of course, they tell me so when they aren't coughing up lung. Of course I tip them because they are only taking home a groat compared to the farthing that traditional chimney sweeps try and extort from me.

I think you'll find that many teaching and research jobs are already temporary/contractual for people entering the professions today.

Race ya to the bottom, last one there is a communist!
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 16:39

I gained some insight from this thread as well: All it takes is an American to bring together Tories and Liberals in a united front in favor of disappearing economic labor models.

;)
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 16:40

Copehead wrote:Have you tried the new start up "Stack"?

Great for when you need a pre-teen to go up your chimney with a brush, they absolutely love it of course, they tell me so when they aren't coughing up lung. Of course I tip them because they are only taking home a groat compared to the farthing that traditional chimney sweeps try and extort from me.

I think you'll find that many teaching and research jobs are already temporary/contractual for people entering the professions today.

Sounds like a great idea for a start up. Let's start a crowdsourcing campaign.

I'm in!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Nov 2017, 16:45

Given that Copehead is the only person I have ever seen on BCB talk about how much money he has and how great it is having it, I am having an eye roll bonanza here.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 16:48

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Thanks for your reply, Sloop -

it is a system that is forced upon people, that is true. It's deep irony and deeply shameful: an economic "vision" (a madman's idea, IMHO) that promises "total freedom of choice in a free society" eventually leaves folks no choice whatsoever to earn a decent income.

Thanks for an intelligent reply beyond "Fuck Uber" or "I'd rather walk." Wow, way to put your money where your mouth is. . .

What I mean by that is you cannot like a service, decide not to use it, but it's not going to stop the onslaught. It might make you feel better, but it doesn't help the general condition.

I don't particularly like the gig economy either and I kinda detest the whole "Control your fate" message the gig economy tries to spin to their present and potential workforce.

But it's here - people work for it and people use it. At least Europe has socialized healthcare. We don't. I spent over $600 a month for medical coverage just for myself when I was working contract jobs just so I could have access to blood pressure medicine and wouldn't go bankrupt if I had to go to a hospital. And that was with California's version of Obamacare, Covered California. I made too much to get any subsidies or tax breaks - I just got a tax penalty if I didn't buy it. Don't tell me about living life on the edge. You guys have a safety net. I don't.

Like any worker revolt, the workers have to want to revolt and want to have to do it en masse. I hope that eventually happens but it doesn't look like it's tomorrow.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Nov 2017, 16:56

So the answer to the richest country on the planet failing to provide a welfare system worthy of the name, is to embrace the 'gig economy' (what a truly horrendous phrase that is) and drive all parts of the economy down the same worthless path?

Interesting.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 17:13

Diamond Dog wrote:So the answer to the richest country on the planet failing to provide a welfare system worthy of the name, is to embrace the 'gig economy' (what a truly horrendous phrase that is) and drive all parts of the economy down the same worthless path?

Interesting.

As you always write in your responses, 'Did I say that?"

I use it because it's a better service than the one it replaces and the folks I know who work for Uber and Lyft don't think it's perfect but it's a way to make an okay living.

I wrote that I don't dig the gig system - in fact I wrote that I detested it. That's hardly celebration. My point is that for all the online protestations, no one does anything else but moan about it.

Big fucking deal. How does that rise people up?

I was expecting some thoughtfulness and not the typical knee-jerk reaction because it's an economic force that's growing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Nov 2017, 19:50

Nothing 'knee jerk' about my response at all.

I was at a National Conference in March 2016.... company I work for. The CEO stands up and goes into this bizarre slavish celebration of Uber and how we as a business should embrace how they do business ... and work with them in the future... We moved onto Q&A's and I commented that now we were embracing a company whose business model is to provide no certain work, drive down wages and remove workers rights, is it any wonder that our employees don't exactly feel confident in our stated business aim to.... provide permanent contracts, maintain wage levels (and increase where earnt) and enforce negotiated agreements around terms and conditions?

Needless to say, we then had ten more minutes of waffle before a couple of her apparatchiks skilfully moved the discussion onto something else.

So, no - no knee jerk reaction. An opinion I've held for quite some time now.

PS- Watch that CEO leave her present employment soon to take up a wizzbang role at Uber in the near future.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 21:16

Diamond Dog wrote:PS- Watch that CEO leave her present employment soon to take up a wizzbang role at Uber in the near future.

:lol:

Hey, stock options baby!

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Nov 2017, 21:36

Copehead wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Have you tried the new start up "Stack"?

Great reply -

for it is so truthful. It's not even driven by fantasy or irony, it's a sharp diagnosis of the madness we've been set into.

(Actually, I was thinking about writing about a similar example of cruelty: in the most southern province of Holland, there were Dickens-type factories that made enamelled dishes, tiles, whatever. About 120 years ago (my guess). They employed kids to clean the chimneys. No need to say what toxic cocktails these little ones had to inhale, on a daily basis. But their parents had little choice: no welfare, this, or starve.

It gets even worse: when one of the kids fainted when working, fell, and dropped dead on the floor, the local priest was called. He was a close friend of the factory owners, needless to say. He would perform the last rites, and then visit the parents, with this message: "don't weep, your father and you mother, don't weep. See it this way: your child now re-united with God the Allmighty, His Only Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit! See it as a day of celebration!". After this gracious act of unselfish mental support, he went back to the factory owner, and collected his 10 Dutch guilders.

I can't believe this now, what I typed. And only dare to submit for it's true.)

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 Nov 2017, 21:43

Diamond Dog wrote:So the answer to the richest country on the planet failing to provide a welfare system worthy of the name, is to embrace the 'gig economy' (what a truly horrendous phrase that is) and drive all parts of the economy down the same worthless path?

Interesting.

I remember taking the tube from our hotel in London all the way to the airport, all laden down with luggage and instruments, huffing up and down stairs, because Mike Watt was too cheap to pay for a taxi. And to be fair it was like $150 for a ride, and that was 20 years ago.

If ANY city on earth needs to have its taxi system revamped, it's London.

I'm not sure Uber is the right answer but it's odd to see how much hostility is generated by the very idea.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Nov 2017, 21:51

bobzilla77 wrote:

Interesting.

I remember taking the tube from our hotel in London all the way to the airport, all laden down with luggage and instruments, huffing up and down stairs, because Mike Watt was too cheap to pay for a taxi. And to be fair it was like $150 for a ride, and that was 20 years ago.

If ANY city on earth needs to have its taxi system revamped, it's London.

I'm not sure Uber is the right answer but it's odd to see how much hostility is generated by the very idea.

You may be surprised, Bobzilla -

you do have a very good point. But I can't see the advantage of solving real problems with unjust solutions. I am just thinking about the destructive effects that AirBnB has had on our city of Amsterdam. The common folks have become more and more frustrated by the month over the past year.

AirBnB wreaked havoc on house prices, rent levels, and the general feeling of well-being. There is no way to deny all of this.

OK, AirBnB is not Uber.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Nov 2017, 22:49

Minnie the Minx wrote:Given that Copehead is the only person I have ever seen on BCB talk about how much money he has and how great it is having it, I am having an eye roll bonanza here.

Isn’t it great having money? If you don’t like yours you can send it too me, I am just a couple of pay cheques away from penury like most people without familial wealth

And why any income I have means my opinion on the gig economy is not as valid as anyone else’s is beyond me

But serious about you sending me any money you find hateful though I’ll give it a good home
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 16 Nov 2017, 23:06

Copehead wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Given that Copehead is the only person I have ever seen on BCB talk about how much money he has and how great it is having it, I am having an eye roll bonanza here.

Isn’t it great having money? If you don’t like yours you can send it too me, I am just a couple of pay cheques away from penury like most people without familial wealth

And why any income I have means my opinion on the gig economy is not as valid as anyone else’s is beyond me

But serious about you sending me any money you find hateful though I’ll give it a good home

Thanks, Copey -

this is one of the most sincere replies ever here. It also serves to complete a fragmented picture, a whole that very few of us are able to see for what is truly is. And it is dreadful.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Nov 2017, 19:33

Now Amazon is getting in on it with Amazon Flex. You can sign up to drive for Amazon during the holidays to augment their usual delivery systems.

Our contracted graphic designer told me he signed up because we haven't been giving him very much work. He told me though that as soon as a delivery opportunity comes up, 20 people jump on it and has only been able to snag one delivery.