Uber loses London licence

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Geezee

Re: Uber loses London licence

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2017, 09:22

I have no problems using Uber - an incredibly efficient, convenient service that is miles better than any cab service I've used in any other country. Asking why people use cabs so much is like asking people why they use cars so much - the answer is tremendously obvious. Uber, Airbnb and the like may or may not have a corrupt business model, but the service they provide is undeniable - and if they need regulating then what on earth have the regulators been doing for the last 5 or so years? It's incredibly simple for cab services to fight back against Uber - get online and take online payments and/or at least fcking cards. They only have themselves to blame for the horrifically reactionary and unpleasant business model.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Sep 2017, 10:28

inside-out fox wrote:WALK

They don't do walking in the US do they?

I remember walking to a bar in Florida with a beer-monster work colleague who insisted we find a place to drink after the hotel bar had closed.

This was in Titusville - we were staying in the 'Spaceport Holiday inn' which was just like all the other Holiday Inns but with pictures of astronauts in the rooms.

It being the US there were no pavements (or sidewalks) so we staggered in the scrubby grass alongside the highway trying not to blunder into alligator infested ditches. Every so often pick up trucks and other vehicles seemingly full of pissed up hicks would pass by hooting and hollering at us. "FAGS" they would yell.

The lady who ran the pool hall we eventually found couldn't believe we'd walked. She called a family member who drove a taxi to take us back after a couple of games and a pitcher of beer. Nice lady.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 25 Sep 2017, 11:48

yomptepi wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm curious. Does anybody feel the same way about AirBnB eating into the hotel market same as Uber and Lyft do to the taxi market?

Yes. They are destroying a regulated market. I would never even consider using an Uber cab, or booking air Bnb. How can established business compete when their competitors do not have to comply with all the rules and regulations, insurances and health and safety compliance either a cab driver or a hotel owner have to. It is financial anarchy, and the only winners are the tech companies, who do nothing for the money.
I suspect Uber will come back with some phoney baloney deal, and whine on about 40,000 people losing heir jobs. And Khan, being the spineless wimp that he is , will fold. But at the moment I am delighted with his actions.

Agree.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 25 Sep 2017, 12:00

I'm in two minds about it. Uber are clearly a company with little in the way of a moral compass, yet it's clear that there were markets in the cabbing industry in London that they could exploit. My sister has lived in Peckham for 25 years and she can count on her fingers the number of times she's managed to persuade a Black cabbie to go south of the river. Despite the sexual harrassment charges, plenty of female friends much prefer Uber when getting cabs (which obviously for women is much more of a reality than for men after dark) because you get the details of the driver etc etc.

I think the low prices Uber were able to market were an indicator of venture capital behind them, so that jacking up the prices once their competitors had suffered was the future reality as others have pointed out. But here we potentially have an indicator of what happens with heavy-handed state intervention - maybe up to 30,000 people losing employment, and many of them on precarious finance deals for their cars. That's not to exempt Uber from their obviously very murky employment practices, but given the large number of protests (over 500K signatories so far) it is perhaps a little bit of a wake up call for all those young people who have not witnessed state intervention in industry/business in their lives.

Personally I've never used them. It's not that I'm tight, but London has a magnificent transport network that has improved a great deal over the last 10 years or so with the addition of a night bus system that sees buses come every 10-15 minutes or so. I grew up getting up night buses in my youth, and I think in many ways it's just in my DNA to do so. But then, I'm a bloke and it's just not as straight forward for women at night especially in a big city. When Uber started and I saw friends being able to get from, say Dalston, to Shoreditch for £5 or so, I just thought "this is farcical and it won't end well".

Robert

Postby Robert » 25 Sep 2017, 12:09

Goat Boy wrote:I used Uber a lot in America. Not just because it was so much cheaper but because it was so convenient, especially in places where the local taxi services weren't very good in my experience. It was a bit of a Godsend really. I admit I wasn't really aware of the companies dodgy dealings but there you go. Speaking to the drivers they all seemed pretty positive about it and I felt like I was helping them earn some extra cash. I used Air b n b too because it was so much cheaper than hotels and when staying a few days in one place it was much nicer to stay in a flat rather than a hotel room. In a place like New York it saved me hundreds. When faced with those savings why the hell wouldn't I use it? I'm not aware of Air b n b being at the same cunt level as Uber mind.

I think Uber is a great idea anyway but clearly it needs to be better regulated to help protect passengers safety and drivers from being exploited. It's hardly surprising people use it when taxi fares in this country can be so expensive though. I admit that part of its appeal was getting one over on the taxi companies. I don't think you can judge people too harshly for that but then, I would say that, huh?

But this is exactly how they can be cheaper than regular taxi's: By not being regulated with the attached costs involved.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2017, 12:56

Robert wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I used Uber a lot in America. Not just because it was so much cheaper but because it was so convenient, especially in places where the local taxi services weren't very good in my experience. It was a bit of a Godsend really. I admit I wasn't really aware of the companies dodgy dealings but there you go. Speaking to the drivers they all seemed pretty positive about it and I felt like I was helping them earn some extra cash. I used Air b n b too because it was so much cheaper than hotels and when staying a few days in one place it was much nicer to stay in a flat rather than a hotel room. In a place like New York it saved me hundreds. When faced with those savings why the hell wouldn't I use it? I'm not aware of Air b n b being at the same cunt level as Uber mind.

I think Uber is a great idea anyway but clearly it needs to be better regulated to help protect passengers safety and drivers from being exploited. It's hardly surprising people use it when taxi fares in this country can be so expensive though. I admit that part of its appeal was getting one over on the taxi companies. I don't think you can judge people too harshly for that but then, I would say that, huh?

But this is exactly how they can be cheaper than regular taxi's: By not being regulated with the attached costs involved.

Absolutely, although generally, I don't know anyone who uses Uber because they are significantly cheaper than regular cabs - they use it because of the convenience, efficiency and security. For me it pretty much evens out - Uber can be significantly more expensive than cabs, and cheaper, depending on your time of travel and distance.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 25 Sep 2017, 13:08

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/jia-t ... f-to-death

The new new is just as plain bad and evil as slavery in the times of the Pharaos.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 25 Sep 2017, 13:56

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:https://www.newyorker.com/culture/jia-tolentino/the-gig-economy-celebrates-working-yourself-to-death

The new new is just as plain bad and evil as slavery in the times of the Pharaos.

Yes. Flogging and death are par for the course.
I run out of talent

Robert

Postby Robert » 25 Sep 2017, 15:27

Geezee wrote:
Robert wrote:

Absolutely, although generally, I don't know anyone who uses Uber because they are significantly cheaper than regular cabs - they use it because of the convenience, efficiency and security. For me it pretty much evens out - Uber can be significantly more expensive than cabs, and cheaper, depending on your time of travel and distance.

Well, let's put it like this: The operation cost for Uber is lower than for a regular cab company. If they don't pass that advantage on to their customers
it's only a matter of time for the regulars to catch up.

COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board

Postby COLIN LAND » 25 Sep 2017, 15:57

GUYS?
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Sep 2017, 16:01

So maybe the cabs should be deregulated and unlicensed like uber so the playing field is level and let the best system win in a fair fight.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 16:49

Geezee wrote:I have no problems using Uber - an incredibly efficient, convenient service that is miles better than any cab service I've used in any other country. Asking why people use cabs so much is like asking people why they use cars so much - the answer is tremendously obvious. Uber, Airbnb and the like may or may not have a corrupt business model, but the service they provide is undeniable - and if they need regulating then what on earth have the regulators been doing for the last 5 or so years? It's incredibly simple for cab services to fight back against Uber - get online and take online payments and/or at least fcking cards. They only have themselves to blame for the horrifically reactionary and unpleasant business model.

Why improve when you complain?
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 16:51

Toby wrote:I think the low prices Uber were able to market were an indicator of venture capital behind them, so that jacking up the prices once their competitors had suffered was the future reality as others have pointed out.

That is true. While valued at billions, Uber is still unprofitable.

But then so was Amazon.com for years and years.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Sep 2017, 16:58

I've very mixed feelings about Uber. I'm a long-time resident of Los Angeles County and Taxis have long been a nightmare out here. I won't go into the details but I've long wanted somebody to come along and throw the LA Taxi business model into the fiery furnace. well, that certainly happened, didn't it? it took long enough.

Maybe I'm just a contrary fellow but I'm not as crazy about the idea as I thought I'd be. I understand it doesn't matter what I think. I heard a mother explaining to her kids what a Taxi WAS by referring to Uber. the business model has been changed. well, this doesn't appear to be screwing the people I want it to screw. I don't have a lot of love for the standard issue L.A. Hack but clearly the only people really getting burned by this are the drivers themselves. they need to take tests and get licenses and the companies don't pay for that stuff. I know L.A. County is addressing a lot of this stuff. to help the drivers? Ha!

pretty soon the same companies will be running the Uber model as run the Bonehead model now. sigh. same as it ever was.
Last edited by Sneelock on 25 Sep 2017, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
"You can bet your last money it’s ALL gonna be a stone-gas, honey!"

COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board

Postby COLIN LAND » 25 Sep 2017, 16:58

Can someone explain 'underwriting' a business, using language that a simpleton like myself could understand?
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 25 Sep 2017, 17:05

Deebank wrote:

I remember walking to a bar in Florida with a beer-monster work colleague who insisted we find a place to drink after the hotel bar had closed.

This was in Titusville - we were staying in the 'Spaceport Holiday inn' which was just like all the other Holiday Inns but with pictures of astronauts in the rooms.

It being the US there were no pavements (or sidewalks) so we staggered in the scrubby grass alongside the highway trying not to blunder into alligator infested ditches. Every so often pick up trucks and other vehicles seemingly full of pissed up hicks would pass by hooting and hollering at us. "FAGS" they would yell.

The lady who ran the pool hall we eventually found couldn't believe we'd walked. She called a family member who drove a taxi to take us back after a couple of games and a pitcher of beer. Nice lady.

I had a similar thing in Memphis. I need some glasses from Walgreen's , which was about 1km up the road. When I suggested to the lady on the desk that I would walk, as it was a lovely day, she nearly had a Aneurysm. I explained I was British , and we walk everywhere. She insisted she had never heard of such a thing. But as you say, no sidewalks, and it was a bit hairy making my way alongside the three lane highway that passes by Gracelands.
You don't like me...do you?

Nit Picking Prick
funky thigh collector

Postby Nit Picking Prick » 25 Sep 2017, 17:09

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I had a similar thing in Memphis. I need some glasses from Walgreen's , which was about 1km up the road. When I suggested to the lady on the desk that I would walk, as it was a lovely day, she nearly had a Aneurysm. I explained I was British , and we walk everywhere. She insisted she had never heard of such a thing. But as you say, no sidewalks, and it was a bit hairy making my way alongside the three lane highway that passes by Gracelands.

The weather in SF lends itself much better to walking. I've pounded all the pavements there - of which there are many - even in rubber, I didn't get as roasting as I do from opening the front door for four seconds here.
Last edited by Nit Picking Prick on 25 Sep 2017, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 17:09

Sneelock wrote:I've very mixed feelings about Uber. I'm a long-time resident of Los Angeles County and Taxis have long been a nightmare out here. I won't go into the details but I've long wanted somebody to come along and throw the LA Taxi business model into the fiery furnace. well, that certainly happened, didn't it? it took long enough.

Maybe I'm just a contrary fellow but I'm not as crazy about the idea as I thought I'd be. I understand it doesn't matter what I think. I heard a mother explaining to her kids what a Taxi WAS by referring to Uber. the business model has been changed. well, this doesn't appear to be screwing the people I want it to screw. I don't have a lot of love for the standard issue L.A. Hack but clearly the only people really getting burned by this are the drivers themselves. they need to take tests and get licenses and the companies don't pay for that stuff. I know L.A. County is addressing a lot of this stuff. to help the drivers? Ha!

pretty soon the same companies will be running the Uber model as run the Bonehead model now. sigh. same as it ever was.

The LA transit story is an interesting one. In the early part of the century, auto and tire mfgrs set up ghost companies and bought out the private transit agencies in LA and ran them into the ground, getting rid of the competition.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 17:14

inside-out fox wrote:Can someone explain 'underwriting' a business, using language that a simpleton like myself could understand?

Underwriting as in venture capitalization?

Obviously, it's financing start up operations for a certain amount for a certain agreed to time frame so the financier can start making a profit.

In Uber's case, like other venture capitalized companies, the investors get equity in the company and seats on the board. That's where Uber's CEO messed up. His venture capital folks didn't support him anymore and kicked him out.

I think there are other folks on here that probably can explain the nuances better, perhaps.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 17:17

Minnie the Minx wrote:The weather in SF lends itself much better to walking. I've pounded all the pavements there - of which there are many - even in rubber, I didn't get as roasting as I do from opening the front door for four seconds here.

Walking in the Bay Area is much easier than Texas. I walk places all the time. But, I might not walk where Six String lives, 2 1/2 hours a way, as it regularly gets in the 90s and triple digits near Sacramento where he lives.