Uber loses London licence

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: Uber loses London licence

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 16:21

yomptepi wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm curious. Does anybody feel the same way about AirBnB eating into the hotel market same as Uber and Lyft do to the taxi market?

Yes. They are destroying a regulated market. I would never even consider using an Uber cab, or booking air Bnb. How can established business compete when their competitors do not have to comply with all the rules and regulations, insurances and health and safety compliance either a cab driver or a hotel owner have to. It is financial anarchy, and the only winners are the tech companies, who do nothing for the money.
I suspect Uber will come back with some phoney baloney deal, and whine on about 40,000 people losing heir jobs. And Khan, being the spineless wimp that he is , will fold. But at the moment I am delighted with his actions.

As it usually does, Lyft is trying to fill the void in London as Uber gets kicked out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... ts-global/

I think it's a bit simplistic to say the software companies don't do anything for the money, but I think it can appear that way.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Sep 2017, 16:57

I used Uber a lot in America. Not just because it was so much cheaper but because it was so convenient, especially in places where the local taxi services weren't very good in my experience. It was a bit of a Godsend really. I admit I wasn't really aware of the companies dodgy dealings but there you go. Speaking to the drivers they all seemed pretty positive about it and I felt like I was helping them earn some extra cash. I used Air b n b too because it was so much cheaper than hotels and when staying a few days in one place it was much nicer to stay in a flat rather than a hotel room. In a place like New York it saved me hundreds. When faced with those savings why the hell wouldn't I use it? I'm not aware of Air b n b being at the same cunt level as Uber mind.

I think Uber is a great idea anyway but clearly it needs to be better regulated to help protect passengers safety and drivers from being exploited. It's hardly surprising people use it when taxi fares in this country can be so expensive though. I admit that part of its appeal was getting one over on the taxi companies. I don't think you can judge people too harshly for that but then, I would say that, huh?
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 17:58

Goat Boy wrote:I used Uber a lot in America. Not just because it was so much cheaper but because it was so convenient, especially in places where the local taxi services weren't very good in my experience. It was a bit of a Godsend really. I admit I wasn't really aware of the companies dodgy dealings but there you go. Speaking to the drivers they all seemed pretty positive about it and I felt like I was helping them earn some extra cash. I used Air b n b too because it was so much cheaper than hotels and when staying a few days in one place it was much nicer to stay in a flat rather than a hotel room. In a place like New York it saved me hundreds. When faced with those savings why the hell wouldn't I use it? I'm not aware of Air b n b being at the same cunt level as Uber mind.

I use both all the time. I just rented the cabin at a lake through AirBnB. And I've rented other places for vacations. If I go to England next year, I'm planning on using it when able.

Last year, Kid P and his girlfriend who coming to San Francisco and had reserved a nice hotel in Pacific Heights. I suggested AirBnB, versus a hotel, because then they'd be able to stay in a true San Francisco neighborhood, in this case Divisadero in Hayes Valley. They loved it, being close to lots of stuff to do rather than being isolated.

Like I wrote, lots of folks drive for Uber, including a friend, and they don't hate it. It could be better, but it pays the rent and is a good option when jobs can be scarce.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 18:00

Goat Boy wrote:I used Uber a lot in America. Not just because it was so much cheaper but because it was so convenient, especially in places where the local taxi services weren't very good in my experience.

This story by a female engineer at Uber is what really got them in hot water. . .

https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/ ... ar-at-uber

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Sep 2017, 18:42

Still Baron wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:This seems to be working in Austin - perhaps Min and Baron could confirm?

https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/a ... rker-coop/

The short answer is that Austin essentially told Uber to fuck off and they did, but they got everything they wanted from the moral and intellectual pygmies in the Texas Legislature a few months later and now Uber is back in Austin and the city can't say shit about it. I'll write more later, it's complicated.

The long(er) answer is that the Austin City Council required them to implement the same background check for drivers as the taxi companies were forced to use. Uber and Lyft didn't like that decision and paid millions to get enough signatures to force a special election with a ballot initiative for the people to vote on the issue and possibly override the City Council. It was the most expensive local campaign in history. Obviously, the expense for Uber that came from the different background checks was not the issue. They were taking a stand in Austin to show other municipalities that they weren't to be trifled with. The campaign for the initiative was really nasty and they framed the issue of them being kicked out of Austin, when of course they were making a business choice not to operate here if they didn't get their way. There was all manner of inaccurate and disingenuous information put out and the ballot measure was rejected, presumably because there were enough old hippies who didn't like the tone of a California tech company coming into town and bullying to get their way over what was ultimately not a big issue. When they lost the election their app went dark in the city limits and they pulled out of town (along with Lyft, the perennial second-banana). There was the typical gnashing of teeth and rending of garments on the part of millennials and right wingers about how Austin is hostile to business and innovation and the rest of it and how we'll never assume our rightful place as a forward thinking tech leader and all that. Of course, when the Texas Legislature next convened (they meet for six months every two years) the Uber and Lyft lobbyists were ready and a bill passed streamlining the regulation, pre-empting more onerous local regulations.

Before all that, I used Uber a lot. It is a great service. This town's cabs were never where you needed one and then they were expensive. Our bus system is fine if you're going certain places at certain times, but it can be highly inconvenient and impractical on a night out (i.e., when you aren't commuting). The Uber service was excellent. It worked perfectly, there was always a car ready VERY shortly, you didn't have to go through a transaction with the driver, you just got in and got out, and the drivers were always friendly (and happy) and in decent cars, and the app was great. But I haven't used them since. They can fuck off. Their behavior in Austin was appalling and as a corporation, they've played more than a few dirty tricks. I wouldn't rule out using them in another city at some point in the future if it was necessary, but it's a convenience that we certainly enjoyed, but can also live without.

Major cities in the UK and Europe with a much greater appetite for regulation than even the most liberal American cities will have to be ready to draw a line with them. And stand fast. They'll be back with buckets of money and publicity. And for all the complaining about Uber I've seen on FB and here, I'm certain that there are many, many Londoners who are very upset to see them go. Like I said, it's a great service, and, at least around here, far superior to the taxis. With that said, the basic technology and idea is easily adaptable, and it's definitely made the taxi service here better. The basic idea behind Uber will win out in the end. The question is, on whose terms?
Last edited by Still Baron on 24 Sep 2017, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Sep 2017, 18:47

I don't understand why people need to use taxis as often as they do. That always surprises me.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Sep 2017, 18:51

The Modernist wrote:I don't understand why people need to use taxis as often as they do. That always surprises me.

Around here its because the public transportation is shit, it's too expensive to live where the bars are, and drinking and driving is best avoided.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Sep 2017, 19:00

Still Baron wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I don't understand why people need to use taxis as often as they do. That always surprises me.

Around here its because the public transportation is shit, it's too expensive to live where the bars are, and drinking and driving is best avoided.

Fair enough!

R. Swipe
hounds people off the board

Postby R. Swipe » 24 Sep 2017, 19:09

WALK
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Sep 2017, 19:10

Thanks, Baron! A sad corollary.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Nit Picking Prick
funky thigh collector

Postby Nit Picking Prick » 24 Sep 2017, 19:18

inside-out fox wrote:WALK

No, you don't walk for an hour in 100 degree heat to the pub. I am queen walking enthusiast, and I wouldn't do it, so you wouldn't either.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Sep 2017, 19:22

inside-out fox wrote:WALK

This is South Texas, not Europe.

We live three miles from the nearest acceptable place, five miles from the place we go most often, and seven or eight miles from downtown. If we walked to any of those places, at almost any time of year, we would be absolutely drenched in sweat and wet clothes when we got there. As it happens, if we're going out to a bar, we typically take the bus (which involves about a mile of walking total). But that's by design. We were smart enough to specifically choose a place closest to several of the major bus routes into town. But it still limits us to places near that bus line. And this is a big city with many places to go.

No scenario of going out for a drink here bears any resemblance to the happy 1.6 mile amble from Min's place in Lancashire to the Top Lock (which appears to have gone irreparably downhill anyway).

R. Swipe
hounds people off the board

Postby R. Swipe » 24 Sep 2017, 19:25

Okay, okay :)
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Sep 2017, 19:28

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Sep 2017, 19:59

Yeah, it doesn't work like that over there. We found public transport, even in New York pretty poor compared to this country. Well, Edinburgh anyway. And the distances involved are so different of course.

To give you an example about how useful Uber was over there....one time we decided to walk to some restaurant in Vegas that was OFF THE STRIP. On the map it wasn't that far away but I didn't realise that there were no pavements on the route so once you got off the strip it was basically roads that you can't walk along (poor, stupid naive me thought that there would be pavements of course because, why not?). Therefore we're walking about trying to find an alternative route and it's dark because there are no street lights and if you've been to Vegas you know that when you're OFF THE STRIP you're taking your life into you own hands a bit and suddenly some dodgy looking types start to appear and I'm getting a bit concerned and feeling a tad vulnerable and there's a bit of tension between the lass and I because we both know we aren't in kansas anymore but then we book an Uber and she turns up within minutes and, boom, we are at the restaurant.

Uber really saved our lives over there.
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Sep 2017, 20:09

Uber has a lower overhead without all the rules and laws governing the process like taxis so of course they are cheaper. Having employees is expensive which is why they chose the route they did. It reminds me of a time in the 1990s when doctors were starting up outpatient imaging centers a block from a hospital. They could draw off the easy outpatients for Xrays, MRI, CT, ETC. and charge the insurance companies less because again, their overhead is lower than a hospital. The patients probably paid the same but the company saved so you know that works. Hospitals have stiffer building codes to conform to and a lot of rules and regulations which makes it cheaper in the long run. They screen patients they accept so if you aren't very mobile or grossly overweight they wouldn't take you, those difficult to treat patients went to the hospital.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 24 Sep 2017, 20:56

yomptepi wrote:I suspect Uber will come back with some phoney baloney deal, and whine on about 40,000 people losing heir jobs. And Khan, being the spineless wimp that he is , will fold. But at the moment I am delighted with his actions.

We'll either by highlighting this post and talking about how prescient Yomp is or quoting it again to ensure Yomp holds his hands up and says, I was wrong.
I hope it is the latter but suspect it may be the former.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 24 Sep 2017, 21:25

Oh they'll be back. No doubt.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 23:02

Still Baron wrote:Major cities in the UK and Europe with a much greater appetite for regulation than even the most liberal American cities will have to be ready to draw a line with them. And stand fast.

Europe holds the line at tech much more in general, getting Google and Apple to pay large amounts in fines.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 23:04

Still Baron wrote:

And California, like Texas, is spread out. Public transit works better in Europe and other places where the populations are much more concentrated.