Uber loses London licence

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Uber loses London licence

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Sep 2017, 07:43

Yesterday it was announced that Transport for London would not renew Uber's licence to operate in the English capital.
Personally, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I oppose it because who doesn't like cheap cabs that threaten a prove-fixing cartel that has been ripping the public off for generations? And also, you can smell the reek of the exempt-from-everything, starting salary of £150k a year bastard black cab association behind this.
On the other hand, Uber is modern slavery in action and, like the other wankers such as Facebook, uses complex and exploitative corporate law to take absolutely zero responsibility for anything. It just rakes in the money (or it will do if it ever makes a profit) with no comebacks whatsoever. It's a great but morally void business model.
So which is the biggest evil? Uber probably. Besides if other cities follow suit and it brings pressure to bear on Uber to stop treating its drivers and customers with contempt (even though technically it doesn't have customers because it claims to be merely an enabling app putting self-employed drivers in touch with customers) then it must be a good thing, no?
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

quix

Re: Uber loses London licence

Postby quix » 23 Sep 2017, 10:59

Putting aside all the other issues... Any organisation which doesn't take sexual assault seriously and act swiftly and definitively can fuck right off.

Their CEO (or someone from senior management ) was on the news this morning saying how sorry they were but they didn't realise how serious the accusations were at the time (or some such utter bollocks).

Disgraceful firm. Disgraceful behaviour all round. Good riddance.

Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad

Postby Pat O'Banton » 23 Sep 2017, 11:32

Agreed. It's a shithouse business model too, taking losses to undercut the competitors until they've all but monopolised the market then no doubt upping prices.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Sep 2017, 11:48

This seems to be working in Austin - perhaps Min and Baron could confirm?

https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/a ... rker-coop/
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Sep 2017, 12:47

Belle Lettre wrote:This seems to be working in Austin - perhaps Min and Baron could confirm?

https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/a ... rker-coop/

The short answer is that Austin essentially told Uber to fuck off and they did, but they got everything they wanted from the moral and intellectual pygmies in the Texas Legislature a few months later and now Uber is back in Austin and the city can't say shit about it. I'll write more later, it's complicated.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 23 Sep 2017, 13:39

Nikki Gradual wrote:So which is the biggest evil?

Cars.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2017, 13:55

There was a great BBC documentary quite recently on silicon valley and how they were shaping new business models and practices. Uber were one of the main companies featured and were just about the most unscrupulous of the lot; many of their drivers had been bled dry.
They can go to hell. No one should use them.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Sep 2017, 13:57

All it does is provide a sheen of respectability for unlicensed wildcat minicab drivers. They can go fuck themselves.
And it's not black cabs they're putting out of business, it's high street minicab firms.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 23 Sep 2017, 19:04

Positive Passion wrote:

Cars.

Word... :lol:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 23 Sep 2017, 19:37

Nikki Gradual wrote: starting salary of £150k a year

Can't find corroboration of this.

There are no official statistics, but drivers themselves will tell you that London cabbies can earn around £65,000 per year, about $100,000, while maintaining an enviably flexible schedule.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/t-ma ... ledge.html

That's before expenses.

Most put in a 40- to 50-hour week and earn around £23,000 after expenses. It's not a cheap business to run. A new vehicle costs £28,000, insurance £1,600 a year, garage fees another £1,300 and then there are repairs on top of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2002/ ... es.careers

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 23 Sep 2017, 19:46

take5_d_shorterer wrote:

There are no official statistics, but drivers themselves will tell you that London cabbies can earn around £65,000 per year, about $100,000, while maintaining an enviably flexible schedule.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/t-ma ... ledge.html

That's before expenses.

Most put in a 40- to 50-hour week and earn around £23,000 after expenses. It's not a cheap business to run. A new vehicle costs £28,000, insurance £1,600 a year, garage fees another £1,300 and then there are repairs on top of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2002/ ... es.careers

And self-employed people do not receive a salary from their self-employed activities.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 23 Sep 2017, 20:11

I think (significantly) less of people who use Uber.
I never have and I never will.
Neil Young Reduxed Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Sep 2017, 21:39

take5_d_shorterer wrote:

It's what a newly qualified black cab driver told me while I was in the back of his cab in London. Your rebuttal is based on what?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Sep 2017, 21:42

Positive Passion wrote:

Cars.

Nice, but naïve. Buses, planes, container ships and a few other things are causing far more problems than cars, but business first and all that.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 23 Sep 2017, 22:01

Nikki Gradual wrote:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:

It's what a newly qualified black cab driver told me while I was in the back of his cab in London. Your rebuttal is based on what?

1) The New York Times

2) The Guardian

The links are there in my original post and are in blue. You can click on them if you want to be directed to the articles.

Their figures are totally different from £150k.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Sep 2017, 22:04

take5_d_shorterer wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:

1) The New York Times

2) The Guardian

The links are there in my original post and are in blue. You can click on them if you want to be directed to the articles.

Their figures are totally different from £150k.

Yeah. Cool. The NYT and Guardian are famous for their accuracy so I'll go with that.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 23 Sep 2017, 22:05

I never used it because I never needed to.
I can't tell if the drivers are getting a fair deal or not and it's not for me to say although I don't understand how they can set the fare but only be enablers to self employed drivers; it seems like a contradiction to me.
Having said that I have little time for taxi drivers in general. Bunch of cunts.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 15:38

I have a good friend who drives for both Lyft and Uber. Lyft is fairer, according to him. I live and work in the heart of Silicon Valley and you see lots of people driving for both.

And to think we're only at the start of the tech revolution - the "gig economy" being only one of the new signifiers. New PCs and laptops don't even come with CD/DVD slots or USB ports anymore. Things are changing fast. When I was in college, only one other student in the dorm, a computer science major, even had a PC. And because I went to college in Silicon Valley, I would bet that most schools didn't even have computer science as a major.

Lots of companies in Silicon Valley, and elsewhere, are not hiring folks full-time and simply fill jobs with recruiters by contract. But here is where you see lots of that stuff first - Austin too, because it's right behind here as far as adopting tech in lots of situations. It's a good incubator to observe stuff away from the Valley.

I was semi-curious what else was out there recently, put my resume up on a couple job sites and now I'm getting three or four calls a day from recruiters around the country for contract marcom jobs. My last job before this was a contract gig. I was well-paid, but I had to buy my healthcare myself, which was way more expensive than being on a company's group health policy.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 24 Sep 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2017, 15:46

I'm curious. Does anybody feel the same way about AirBnB eating into the hotel market same as Uber and Lyft do to the taxi market?
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 24 Sep 2017, 16:15

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm curious. Does anybody feel the same way about AirBnB eating into the hotel market same as Uber and Lyft do to the taxi market?

Yes. They are destroying a regulated market. I would never even consider using an Uber cab, or booking air Bnb. How can established business compete when their competitors do not have to comply with all the rules and regulations, insurances and health and safety compliance either a cab driver or a hotel owner have to. It is financial anarchy, and the only winners are the tech companies, who do nothing for the money.
I suspect Uber will come back with some phoney baloney deal, and whine on about 40,000 people losing heir jobs. And Khan, being the spineless wimp that he is , will fold. But at the moment I am delighted with his actions.
You don't like me...do you?