Adult Ed...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Fonz

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 07:35

I'm learning Spanish with 'Coffee Break Spanish'- google it.

When I retire I want to do an arts course/degree
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Sep 2017, 09:53

I signed up for a course in making stained glass panels last year. Of course, being local authority run, it failed to start , and the whole debacle left me more than a little irritated. I am going to Bideford in December to do a weekend course in the same subject. Privately run, so it should at least have a hope of happening...
You don't like me...do you?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 11:11

Last year of my Classics degree at the OU finishing with Greek & Roman mythology.

I'm sort of hoping my wife allows me to do an MA.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 11:13

Toby wrote:Last year of my Classics degree at the OU finishing with Greek & Roman mythology.

I'm sort of hoping my wife allows me to do an MA.

I know I could google, but what sort of fees do the OU want these days?
Heyyyy!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 11:50

It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Around £350 a month it works out at.

Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad

Postby Pat O'Banton » 09 Sep 2017, 12:02

I do three terms a year of Spanish. Used to be two hour slots but now slimmed down to an hour and a half. In recent terms we've studied plays by Fernando Fernán Gómez and Federico Garcia Lorca, short stories by Manuel Rivas (three of which formed the basis of the film La Lengua de las Mariposas) and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, all in their original Spanish. I'm by no means fluent and I sometimes think my job is too demanding to carry on with it but I always change my mind pretty quickly once I'm there because the six others in the class are great people and it expands my horizons so much. It's a great source of pride, actually, and so, good for my mental health.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 12:10

I'm frustrated in some respects that the clarity of thinking I have doing this degree didn't click when I was doing my A-Levels. But then i feel also that technology has enabled me a far greater level of organisation nowadays. I can access my degree site through an app on my phone and I can store great reams of papers to read on Google drive in a matter of seconds. The days of lever arch files filled with badly scrawled notes are long gone thankfully.

quix

Postby quix » 09 Sep 2017, 14:26

yomptepi wrote:I signed up for a course in making stained glass panels last year. Of course, being local authority run, it failed to start , and the whole debacle left me more than a little irritated. I am going to Bideford in December to do a weekend course in the same subject. Privately run, so it should at least have a hope of happening...

It's a funding issue... if they're not enough takers the course will make a loss :-(

It's irritating though. I was the one who let my Japanese class friends down in the end as there were six of us and without me the level 3 course couldn't run... but I just didn't want to continue. I felt really bad. They considered each paying a share of my fees then I'd "drop out" after it was too late to get a refund but it never happened.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Sep 2017, 19:46

I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 23:18

Six String wrote:I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.

'The' Gary Holt?

(Metal guitarist etc)
Heyyyy!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 23:22

Toby wrote:It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Yikes. About £17k then. Will you get a related job at the end, or is it education for the pleasure of it?

Just curious.

I fancy doing an arts degree at some point just to prove something to my self, and to experience that intellectual rigour once again. But in financial terms it could be a hard sell to my wife.
Heyyyy!

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Sep 2017, 01:35

Fonz wrote:
Six String wrote:I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.

'The' Gary Holt?

(Metal guitarist etc)

Ha! Erm, no.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 11 Sep 2017, 13:54

Toby wrote:It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Bloody hell! It was about £600 a year when I did mine (97-02)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2017, 16:14

Pat O'Banton wrote:I'm by no means fluent and I sometimes think my job is too demanding to carry on with it but I always change my mind pretty quickly once I'm there because the six others in the class are great people and it expands my horizons so much. It's a great source of pride, actually, and so, good for my mental health.

That's me too, except not the same situation. Once I'm there, or I get out of the house and start running, or whatever it is, I'm good.

It kinda lends credence to the Woody Allen line that 80% of life is just showing up.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2017, 16:15

Still Baron wrote:I often think of taking some community college mathematics and statistics classes to catch up. Eventually, I'll probably need it.

If I did that, I'd try and take a software coding class.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Sep 2017, 23:16

sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I often think of taking some community college mathematics and statistics classes to catch up. Eventually, I'll probably need it.

Twice I've almost signed up for a R coding class. But apart from the the fact that, like learning a language with duolingo, there ARE cheap as free options to learn it yourself online... it's also the idea of INVITING more work and complication in my life.

like that time I took the course in LaTeX, because, of course it would be easier to learn an entire new programming languages in order to write my thesis... because with all my free time while writing my thesis I would have the luxury of being snobbish about using a ready made word processing software. Take that, Microsoft Word.
(I lasted a day).

Learning is over-rated.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Sep 2017, 00:07

hippopotamus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Twice I've almost signed up for a R coding class. But apart from the the fact that, like learning a language with duolingo, there ARE cheap as free options to learn it yourself online... it's also the idea of INVITING more work and complication in my life.

like that time I took the course in LaTeX, because, of course it would be easier to learn an entire new programming languages in order to write my thesis... because with all my free time while writing my thesis I would have the luxury of being snobbish about using a ready made word processing software. Take that, Microsoft Word.
(I lasted a day).

Learning is over-rated.

I have no problem unedumacating myself.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 12 Sep 2017, 01:07

My grasp of mathematics is so terrible, I never made it further than Algebra II, and I didn't know what the hell was going on for most of Algebra I (though I more or less got geometry). My mind truly could not do it. I think I could now, and when I'm back trying cases in another decade or so, I'll have to be able to cross examine "experts" giving testimony about all sorts of things. I need at least a basic understanding of statistics. We'll see if I do it. I better.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 Sep 2017, 14:09

Still Baron wrote:I better.

That's the idea.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 12 Sep 2017, 14:24

Has anyone made a Penk joke yet?
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily