Adult Ed...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3163
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 07:35

I'm learning Spanish with 'Coffee Break Spanish'- google it.

When I retire I want to do an arts course/degree
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34359
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby yomptepi » 09 Sep 2017, 09:53

I signed up for a course in making stained glass panels last year. Of course, being local authority run, it failed to start , and the whole debacle left me more than a little irritated. I am going to Bideford in December to do a weekend course in the same subject. Privately run, so it should at least have a hope of happening...
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21733
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 11:11

Last year of my Classics degree at the OU finishing with Greek & Roman mythology.

I'm sort of hoping my wife allows me to do an MA.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3163
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 11:13

Toby wrote:Last year of my Classics degree at the OU finishing with Greek & Roman mythology.

I'm sort of hoping my wife allows me to do an MA.



I know I could google, but what sort of fees do the OU want these days?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21733
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 11:50

It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Around £350 a month it works out at.

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49966
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Pat O'Banton » 09 Sep 2017, 12:02

I do three terms a year of Spanish. Used to be two hour slots but now slimmed down to an hour and a half. In recent terms we've studied plays by Fernando Fernán Gómez and Federico Garcia Lorca, short stories by Manuel Rivas (three of which formed the basis of the film La Lengua de las Mariposas) and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, all in their original Spanish. I'm by no means fluent and I sometimes think my job is too demanding to carry on with it but I always change my mind pretty quickly once I'm there because the six others in the class are great people and it expands my horizons so much. It's a great source of pride, actually, and so, good for my mental health.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21733
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Toby » 09 Sep 2017, 12:10

I'm frustrated in some respects that the clarity of thinking I have doing this degree didn't click when I was doing my A-Levels. But then i feel also that technology has enabled me a far greater level of organisation nowadays. I can access my degree site through an app on my phone and I can store great reams of papers to read on Google drive in a matter of seconds. The days of lever arch files filled with badly scrawled notes are long gone thankfully.

User avatar
quix
Posts: 6366
Joined: 11 Apr 2007, 13:49
Location: La la land

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby quix » 09 Sep 2017, 14:26

yomptepi wrote:I signed up for a course in making stained glass panels last year. Of course, being local authority run, it failed to start , and the whole debacle left me more than a little irritated. I am going to Bideford in December to do a weekend course in the same subject. Privately run, so it should at least have a hope of happening...


It's a funding issue... if they're not enough takers the course will make a loss :-(

It's irritating though. I was the one who let my Japanese class friends down in the end as there were six of us and without me the level 3 course couldn't run... but I just didn't want to continue. I felt really bad. They considered each paying a share of my fees then I'd "drop out" after it was too late to get a refund but it never happened.

Six String
Posts: 19929
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Six String » 09 Sep 2017, 19:46

I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3163
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 23:18

Six String wrote:I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.


'The' Gary Holt?

(Metal guitarist etc)
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3163
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Fonz » 09 Sep 2017, 23:22

Toby wrote:It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Around £350 a month it works out at.


Yikes. About £17k then. Will you get a related job at the end, or is it education for the pleasure of it?

Just curious.

I fancy doing an arts degree at some point just to prove something to my self, and to experience that intellectual rigour once again. But in financial terms it could be a hard sell to my wife.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Six String
Posts: 19929
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Six String » 10 Sep 2017, 01:35

Fonz wrote:
Six String wrote:I want to take a ceramics class someday. Probably in my retirement years. Gary Holt who I met at his studio in Berkeley said he was considering moving to Sacramento after he retired and that was in 2016 so I'm hoping he fullfills that plan because he said he would probably teach at a local college. I wasn't able to visit just before he closed shop and didn't email him so I'll have to wait for fate to intervene.


'The' Gary Holt?

(Metal guitarist etc)


Ha! Erm, no.

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 13968
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Moleskin » 11 Sep 2017, 13:54

Toby wrote:It's around £2800 a module and there are six in total.

Around £350 a month it works out at.


Bloody hell! It was about £600 a year when I did mine (97-02)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59687
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2017, 16:14

Pat O'Banton wrote:I'm by no means fluent and I sometimes think my job is too demanding to carry on with it but I always change my mind pretty quickly once I'm there because the six others in the class are great people and it expands my horizons so much. It's a great source of pride, actually, and so, good for my mental health.


That's me too, except not the same situation. Once I'm there, or I get out of the house and start running, or whatever it is, I'm good.

It kinda lends credence to the Woody Allen line that 80% of life is just showing up.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59687
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2017, 16:15

Still Baron wrote:I often think of taking some community college mathematics and statistics classes to catch up. Eventually, I'll probably need it.


If I did that, I'd try and take a software coding class.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 762
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Sep 2017, 23:16

sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I often think of taking some community college mathematics and statistics classes to catch up. Eventually, I'll probably need it.


If I did that, I'd try and take a software coding class.


Twice I've almost signed up for a R coding class. But apart from the the fact that, like learning a language with duolingo, there ARE cheap as free options to learn it yourself online... it's also the idea of INVITING more work and complication in my life.

like that time I took the course in LaTeX, because, of course it would be easier to learn an entire new programming languages in order to write my thesis... because with all my free time while writing my thesis I would have the luxury of being snobbish about using a ready made word processing software. Take that, Microsoft Word.
(I lasted a day).


Learning is over-rated.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59687
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Sep 2017, 00:07

hippopotamus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I often think of taking some community college mathematics and statistics classes to catch up. Eventually, I'll probably need it.


If I did that, I'd try and take a software coding class.


Twice I've almost signed up for a R coding class. But apart from the the fact that, like learning a language with duolingo, there ARE cheap as free options to learn it yourself online... it's also the idea of INVITING more work and complication in my life.

like that time I took the course in LaTeX, because, of course it would be easier to learn an entire new programming languages in order to write my thesis... because with all my free time while writing my thesis I would have the luxury of being snobbish about using a ready made word processing software. Take that, Microsoft Word.
(I lasted a day).


Learning is over-rated.


I have no problem unedumacating myself.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 41904
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Still Baron » 12 Sep 2017, 01:07

My grasp of mathematics is so terrible, I never made it further than Algebra II, and I didn't know what the hell was going on for most of Algebra I (though I more or less got geometry). My mind truly could not do it. I think I could now, and when I'm back trying cases in another decade or so, I'll have to be able to cross examine "experts" giving testimony about all sorts of things. I need at least a basic understanding of statistics. We'll see if I do it. I better.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38745
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 Sep 2017, 14:09

Still Baron wrote:I better.


That's the idea.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13957
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: Adult Ed...

Postby kewl klive » 12 Sep 2017, 14:24

Has anyone made a Penk joke yet?
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily