How sexist are you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

How sexist are you?

Postby Toby » 01 Sep 2017, 15:04

We had the "how racist are you?" thread a while back.

Now, how sexist are you?

I'd like to think I'm not sexist. My wife is the bread-winner in our family and I don't lose any sleep over it at all. I don't feel any pressure to be the "provider" or that my wife earns more than me. She's bloody talented, loves her job and isn't concerned in any way that I'm the one at home bringing up our son. I don't think that her role should be to bring up the family, staying at home etc.

But I know that there are certain aspects of my thinking that could be construed as "sexist" and I think it is pretty difficult for men (or women) not to be sexist at all. When we talk about our son and his behaviour, I sometimes veer into things like "oh it's just what boys do" et. This is gender conditioning, and perhaps in some respects there is a truth about it, but it can also be damaging. Some women might say "oh grow a pair of balls" to a man if he is not conforming to a particular male archetype.

It is a gloriously complex discussion, and one I thought might spark some interesting posts on here (given the overwhelming male bias).

Pansy Puff

Re: How sexist are you?

Postby Pansy Puff » 01 Sep 2017, 15:08

"What's wrong with being sexy?"
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 01 Sep 2017, 15:13

Seriously, I like to think that I am a feminist and I believer in equality. I do my very best to treat my children the same and jump on those moments when my son (age 7) tells me that such and such a colour/job/activity is a girls' one, for example.
But I will also fall into those traps you mention, especially when I'm with my mates, I'm sure. And just yesterday, I was talking to a group of trainees about organising their files and I made the claim that in my experience, male trainees are much worse at planing their time to successfully organise their time. The old trope: "women are good organisers". My claim is true, insomuch that the trainees I've worked with have fallen into these lines. But is is really true...?

Short answer: I'm more sexists than I think I am.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Sep 2017, 15:29

I'm as sexist as my shirt
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Sep 2017, 15:40

Rayge wrote:I'm as sexist as my shirt

Right Said Fred? :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Sep 2017, 16:13

In this day and age I don't think you can set sexism to a concrete set of rules. Some things are sexist no matter what but a lot is now down to the person you're interacting with and what they personally think is sexist or not.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 01 Sep 2017, 16:28

The Great Defector wrote:In this day and age I don't think you can set sexism to a concrete set of rules. Some things are sexist no matter what but a lot is now down to the person you're interacting with and what they personally think is sexist or not.

False.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Sep 2017, 16:45

I'm a massive sexist
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 01 Sep 2017, 16:55

I'm not sexist - I'm a radical feminist. You have to be if you want any chance of getting yer end away these days

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Sep 2017, 17:05

Still Baron wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:In this day and age I don't think you can set sexism to a concrete set of rules. Some things are sexist no matter what but a lot is now down to the person you're interacting with and what they personally think is sexist or not.

False.

Why?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

NMB

Postby NMB » 01 Sep 2017, 17:07

Still Baron wrote:

False.

Not false. If I say to a woman "You look nice today" they may or may not regard that as sexist depending on who they are and on my relationship to them.
turn on, tune in, nod off

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Sep 2017, 17:14

Interacting with a person should come down to interacting with them as an individual. To be sexist doesn't mean you're offending individuals with your crassness. That's just being rude. It means you're acting on certain generalizations about women IN GENERAL and not interacting with them as individuals.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Sep 2017, 17:15

Ya'll my bitches.

So not at all.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Sep 2017, 17:22

NMB wrote:
Still Baron wrote:

False.

Not false. If I say to a woman "You look nice today" they may or may not regard that as sexist depending on who they are and on my relationship to them.

And it might well BE sexist or it might not. Knowing and understanding the difference is part of not being sexist.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

NMB

Postby NMB » 01 Sep 2017, 17:28

toomanyhatz wrote:
NMB wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
False.

And it might well BE sexist or it might not. Knowing and understanding the difference is part of not being sexist.

I disagree. It might be perceived as sexist by the person I talk to but not perceived as sexist by me. Who's to say which one of us is correct, it's personal opinion. And if I say it to person A and person A perceives it as sexist, and then I say it to person B and person B doesn't perceive it as sexist then who out of person A and person B is correct? It's all subjective and there are no hard and fast rules. It won't BE sexist, just some people may consider it sexist.
turn on, tune in, nod off

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 01 Sep 2017, 17:32

Can't argue with that
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

joels344

Postby joels344 » 01 Sep 2017, 17:33

Mostly agreed. Objective sexism exists and can most likely be classified by chauvinism, misogyny, etc, but there seems to be subjective sexism as well i.e., holding doors open for women, complimenting their beauty, smiling/flirting with someone you find attractive, or even explaining something can be considered degrading nowadays ('mansplaining').

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Sep 2017, 17:37

NMB wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:
NMB wrote:

I disagree. It might be perceived as sexist by the person I talk to but not perceived as sexist by me. Who's to say which one of us is correct, it's personal opinion. And if I say it to person A and person A perceives it as sexist, and then I say it to person B and person B doesn't perceive it as sexist then who out of person A and person B is correct? It's all subjective and there are no hard and fast rules. It won't BE sexist, just some people may consider it sexist.

So if I say "you've got great tits love" but don't think it's sexist then it isn't...

:?:

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 01 Sep 2017, 17:43

It's so complicated!
:x
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 Sep 2017, 17:47

A soul can't do right for doing wrong sometimes...

Re: Watching the Olympics!

Post by Samoan » 14 Aug 2016, 23:28

Wonderful result for tennis player Monica Puig, a very pretty lady, who played a phenomenally super-charged game against world number two, Angelique Kerber,to win the first ever gold medal for Puerto Rico last evening. Hugely enjoyable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... e_btn_link

Post by Diamond Dog 15 Aug 2016, 06:01

Samoan wrote:
Wonderful result for tennis player Monica Puig, a very pretty lady,

There's been a meme on FB regarding the appalling sexist way that the (predominantly male) Press portray women at the Olympics by comment around their looks etc, whereas men are always strictly about the achievement.

It's always good to see BCB bucking the trend and having the women doing the dirty work on here....
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.