Texas Flood

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Texas Flood

Postby LeBaron » 27 Aug 2017, 18:29

Over 6 million people live in the Houston Metropolitan Area. The southern half of it is built on very low-lying ground (some might try to call it a swamp). That half of the city is flooding and the National Weather Service says that the event (which is to say, the rain from the hurricane 150 miles east) is unprecedented. There will be catastrophic flooding and people will die.

Most of the doomsday scenarios for Houston involve the direct hit of a hurricane and the resulting environmental calamity that would come from the wreckage of the petrochemical refining and shipping facilities in the Houston Ship Channel. It floods in Houston all the time, so no one really thought about rain of this magnitude, or maybe they figured been there done that.

Most major Texas cities are run by Democrats, while the State government may be the most radical right wing state government in the country. The mayor told people to stay put while the governor called for evacuations. And then there's Trump. I'm already dreading the recriminations and fallout.

This is going to get worse. :cry:

By the way, Nolamike, the only Houston BCBer I know of, is safe for now.
Last edited by LeBaron on 28 Aug 2017, 13:31, edited 2 times in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Texas Flood

Postby LeBaron » 27 Aug 2017, 18:35

Forecasters are saying some parts of Texas could get 50 inches of rain. That's 127 communist centimeters.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Aug 2017, 18:37

One word: poncho.
Gadfly

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 27 Aug 2017, 20:11

Of course I see the damage on the TV news.

The times I've been to Texas it was always hot, dusty and dry.

Stay safe y'all 'n y'all!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Aug 2017, 20:50

it's just such a fucquin nightmare.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 27 Aug 2017, 23:57

Still Baron wrote:Forecasters are saying some parts of Texas could get 50 inches of rain. That's 127 communist centimeters.

Our local TV meteorologist says:

Hurricane Harvey may exceed any previous Texas rainfall record, with 50" now predicted in the Houston area when it's all said and done.
Locally, eastern counties may see 3+ feet -- a year's worth of rain.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 28 Aug 2017, 00:32

What's the timescale of the worst of it? Sorry, that might sound like a stupid question.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 28 Aug 2017, 01:05

Expecting another 20 inches over the next few days for a total of over 50 inches - problem being the storm is very slow moving just dumping rain on the area

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Aug 2017, 01:11

Two of my aunts have evacuated their homes.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Aug 2017, 05:25

A nightmare for sure. Hope everyone is reasonably safe. Having been through two hurricanes I know the worst is yet to come as far as the pain and sufferng. The clean up and the absence of electricity which runs so many important services is sometimes worse than the storm itself. Try going without electricity from ncluding airconditioning in August in Texas for what may ght be weeks for some. Hang tough Texas! You'll get though this. Piss on Trump if he gets close enough.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 Aug 2017, 08:45

It is dreadful. See this photo, from the Houston Chronicle:

(From:

Mike @mike_58stingray
An unbelievable photo of nursing home residents waiting to get rescued in Houston.
)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Aug 2017, 10:54

in the face of such disaster, of course, the police, emergency med staff, the coast guard, the national guard, are so vital. but it also never fails to move me when so many people, neighbors, citizens, take it upon themselves to get out in boats and save other people who are trapped. even the press covering the flood have helped save people directly, on the spot.

props to the cajun navy convoying it out there, too. i love the cajun navy. they've saved many lives in louisiana, and they'll do the same in texas. just as texas, along with many others, helped my hometown during katrina.

i think this is what america is *really* about, in spite of all the divisive political crap. i've been through enough disasters to know that when things get so bad, so life-or-death, most of the people around become neighbors and heroes. they help each other. regardless of politics, race, religion, etc. obviously, the areas hit in texas are gonna need massive help over a sustained and lengthy amount of time, but it matters, those neighbors and heroes.

p.s. for minnie: jake tapper, a CNN anchor, retweeted on his feed an austin news post on area animal shelters and the work they're doing right now.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Aug 2017, 13:33

Pat O'Banton wrote:What's the timescale of the worst of it? Sorry, that might sound like a stupid question.

The worst of it should be done by the end of the work week, but some are already being told they won't be able to get back to their homes for two months.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Aug 2017, 13:35

kath wrote:props to the cajun navy convoying it out there, too. i love the cajun navy. they've saved many lives in louisiana, and they'll do the same in texas. just as texas, along with many others, helped my hometown during katrina.

i think this is what america is *really* about, in spite of all the divisive political crap. i've been through enough disasters to know that when things get so bad, so life-or-death, most of the people around become neighbors and heroes. they help each other. regardless of politics, race, religion, etc. obviously, the areas hit in texas are gonna need massive help over a sustained and lengthy amount of time, but it matters, those neighbors and heroes.

Absolutely. Houston took in LOTS of people during Katrina, and many stayed. I've seen some extroardinary reports about the Cajun Navy rescuing people already on FB.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 Aug 2017, 14:44

Still Baron wrote:
kath wrote:props to the cajun navy convoying it out there, too. i love the cajun navy. they've saved many lives in louisiana, and they'll do the same in texas. just as texas, along with many others, helped my hometown during katrina.

Absolutely. Houston took in LOTS of people during Katrina, and many stayed. I've seen some extroardinary reports about the Cajun Navy rescuing people already on FB.

Fine stories to hear. Thanks to you and Kath for posting. Decent people will always find ways to re-organize themselves in new communities.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Aug 2017, 15:34

Jimbo wrote:One word: poncho.

Is that a 'Sears Poncho'?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Aug 2017, 15:51

“Worse than the worst-case scenario for Houston,” tweeted WeatherBell meteorologist Ryan Maue.

Houston's not fit for human habitation even in the best of times, but this is beyond belief.

And not to politicize things, but let's not forget that the budget Trump proposed in March cuts FEMA state and local grant funding by $667 million, including the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/politics/ ... index.html
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Aug 2017, 18:07

I feel like I don't really have a fix on how bad it really is yet.
I haven't been watching much news, though, but maybe the message isn't really coming across?
Anyway, I'm sort of glad I didn't take that assignment at Alley Theatre in Houston and I'm really glad the nolamikes seem ok.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Aug 2017, 18:19

Count Machuki wrote:I feel like I don't really have a fix on how bad it really is yet.
I haven't been watching much news, though, but maybe the message isn't really coming across

Imagine the Atlanta Metro Area was mostly built on swamps and bayous and it got rain measured in feet for about a week. Now imagine the upper middle class people in the northern exurbs, further away from the Gulf and the main bayous and at 100 or 150 feet above sea level, with every expectation that there will be water in THEIR houses. So, millions of people with, at a minimum, water damage (and no way to leave because the streets are flooded), and hundreds of thousands, if not millions more, who are straight up flooded with no place to go.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Aug 2017, 18:59

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D