Which websites do you trust?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Which websites do you trust?

Postby Jimbo » 26 Aug 2017, 13:10

Copehead wrote: annoying contrarians

You rang?

BTW, here is a good place to check the biases of your favorite sites.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com
Gadfly

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 15:47

Jimbo wrote:
Copehead wrote: annoying contrarians

You rang?

BTW, here is a good place to check the biases of your favorite sites.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com

from http://guides.library.usciences.edu/Cur ... s/FakeNews

"This not-for-profit website verifies the accuracy of statements made by politicians in speeches, debates, and ads. It also investigates political claims by others and calls out fake news stories. It is one of the sites working with Facebook in its program to stop fake news from spreading. FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania."

Yes that affiliation with Facebook makes me trust it implicitly.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Aug 2017, 09:42

I don't really trust any sites. There are individual writers I mostly trust. But I'll typically read multiple takes on the same story before I feel like I have a feel for it.

Ultimately I'm pretty leery of any of the writers that strong partisans on either side of the American political divide trust too much.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 27 Aug 2017, 19:17

That' why I like newsreaders. I use Inoreader now and it's the first one nearly as good as the late, lamented Google Reader. I follow Reuters and AP then a bunch of op/ed & stuff like SOT has for "informed opinion". I don't really follow as many people I don't agree with as I used to. I see a lot referenced in the stuff I do follow.i think the American right is in a really nasty place right now. I need a buffer, especially since I work with a lot of people who make an effort to insure FOX NEWS is blaring at all times.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 28 Aug 2017, 19:34

The Modernist wrote:
Nick wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
No wonder you've become right wing!

Post hoc ergo propter hoc ;-)

Latin eh? Bloody elitist. :evil:

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm not actually right wing at all. Almost all of my political views would fit comfortably within a broadly centre-left/liberal consensus.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 19:35

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 28 Aug 2017, 19:36

Diamond Dog wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on then Pete, what political views do I hold that are right wing?

And thinking Corbyn & McDonnell are cunts doesn't count ;)
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 19:57

Nick - we've 'had this out' quite recently. I see no point in re-hashing it, do you? :D

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Aug 2017, 16:45

Nick wrote:Seriously though, I'm not actually right wing at all. Almost all of my political views would fit comfortably within a broadly centre-left/liberal consensus.

This is even more pointed from a US perspective. You'd be a liberal pinko commie bedwetting bastard in the State of Georgia, for example. :)

Anyway, trusted websites? None. But also: Vox (mostly, read w/ bias in mind), Jacobin (same), WaPo, the Thriving New York Times, BCB, www.jimboswackytheorydaily.com, and The New Yorker
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Aug 2017, 17:28

oh, Reader Supported News is a good aggregate type thing, too, if a little needy with the old fundraising

http://readersupportednews.org/
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Aug 2017, 17:33

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don't really trust any sites. There are individual writers I mostly trust. But I'll typically read multiple takes on the same story before I feel like I have a feel for it.

Ultimately I'm pretty leery of any of the writers that strong partisans on either side of the American political divide trust too much.

My stance, exactly.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Aug 2017, 18:09

Count Machuki wrote:
Nick wrote:Seriously though, I'm not actually right wing at all. Almost all of my political views would fit comfortably within a broadly centre-left/liberal consensus.

This is even more pointed from a US perspective. You'd be a liberal pinko commie bedwetting bastard in the State of Georgia, for example. :)

Anyway, trusted websites? None. But also: Vox (mostly, read w/ bias in mind), Jacobin (same), WaPo, the Thriving New York Times, BCB, http://www.jimboswackytheorydaily.com, and The New Yorker

Ah, I clicked and it's gone.

It was sweet, uncanny, honest, and charmingly half-insane.

One of the greats.

:(
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Aug 2017, 18:17

But is it really gone...or has it moved to THE DARK WEB?? *dramatic music cue*