50%
history
50%

Total votes: 2

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Historical fiction vs history vs other genres

Postby Jimbo » 22 Aug 2017, 05:14

I think I like historical fiction, or at least when I choose something to read, which is a sizable commitment of my time and money, I tend to choose historical fiction. I do feel a little guilty that I don't chose actual history histories but I think I need to feel like I'm watching a movie or TV show when I read. I've pretty much run out of Bernard Cornwell "horse hackers," (as my friend calls Cornwell's kind of books because horses do get hacked up pretty badly in his books) and while browsing my Audible account I had forgotten about Ken Follett. I had read a bunch of his about stone masons who built cathedrals and while checking my library I noticed I hadn't read part three in his WWI trilogy, so that's my next read, Edge of Eternity. I've read all of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin, some twice, and I even read three of John Jakes' Civil War books. Jakes was the super-popular author we were suppose to hate - but his books ain't bad! Herman Wouk's WWII books were entertaining. Jeff Shaara writes some really good Civil War, and WWII books. His WWI book, To the Last Man not a series, was terrific! As a younger man I had read his father, Michael Shaara's book Killer Angels about the big Civil War generals, but I recall being a little bored with it.

Do comment and especially if there is a particular genre you tend to choose.
Question authority.

quix

Re: Historical fiction vs history vs other genres

Postby quix » 23 Aug 2017, 18:37

I love historical fiction my favourite being a trilogy by Margaret Irwin: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. They are historically very accurate but written in a captivating fictional literary style.

There is a lot of utter crap historical fiction out there, especially about the Tudors but Margaret's novels are by far amongst the very best ever written.

Occasionally I stray into a strange historical fantasy fiction which is a genre I've made up but typified by authors like Rose Tremain. Music and Silence and Restoration were wonderful but not to everyone's liking as they are pure fiction really with some history sprinkled in...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Aug 2017, 19:12

I love those George McDonald Fraser "Flashman" books. while Flashy isn't real, I think it's delightful the preposterous ways Fraser shoehorns Flashy into all these major events.

I'm also very fond of Gore Vidal's historical novels. the Hamilton-mania at my house hasn't reached me yet largely because of how well defined Vidal's Hamilton was to me in "Burr". "Lincoln" is the most famous of these and I suppose I can see why. I'm very fond of "Burr" because of the vivid characterizations and "Empire" because Gore Vidal has an opinion about what is fucked up about the American Empire and is not shy about expressing it in a pretty entertaining & character driven way.
uggy poopy doody.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Aug 2017, 09:53

In an all out war my money is on the weight of history.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Aug 2017, 10:40

I like the seductive nature of historical writing in its ability to transport you to a place, but at the same time it can be all too convenient in shoehorning a narrative that might not have existed onto events.

For me, the piecemeal nature of actual evidence and trying to work out what actually happened is far more exciting than a story that takes liberties. It is a detective story in itself.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Aug 2017, 13:00

It strikes me as the Christian Metal of writing. I could be wrong (and probably am) but I doubt I'll ever know.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Nextdoorland”