in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hugh

Re: watches

Postby Hugh » 07 Jun 2018, 21:55

Did you try it on?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jun 2018, 22:15

I remember wearing cheap digital watches back in the 80's and thinking they were cool.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 08 Jun 2018, 21:45

Soooo, anyway. I am in the pub and there are three geezers of a certain age talking about their watches. One gent is admiring his friends watch , divers watch apparently , 700 quid , good watch he says. The chap next to him is showing the 'lads' his rolex "needs a service " he says "500 quid of anyone's money" the diver says. "It was a bargain and it's worth paying the money to have it running smoothly " says rolex guy. One of the other chaps , also wearing a rolex pipes up "the worst thing you can do is let them stop , it can damage them , starting from scratch"

Excuse me I say , what time is it please , 6.55 says the rolex owner . Funny enough that's what time mine says too I reply.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Jun 2018, 22:33

Yeah but you’ve got a Patek Phillipe Nautilus.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jun 2018, 00:43

I have been wearing a $30 Timex for over a year now and I have used the "Indiglo" feature countless times. No watch is easier to read in the dark than my Timex.

My wife has a few expensive watches and one is a Frank Mueller which she calls "my Frank" and "Franks" battery died. This is the second time. Batteries do die, of course, but no watch battery replacement has caused us more hassle than her Frank. The problem stems from the fact that she bought it in an unauthorized watch shop. It might be a counterfeit but she paid like $4000 for the thing (I know. I know.) but this particular shop is reputable with other seemingly discriminating watch buyers so ... No matter, Frank needed a batt and the official Frank Mueller shop in the Ginza looked it up on their computer and said "Nein." And they stand to make a small killing from the the batt change! Still no. Bowels no move. Finally found a reputable department store to change it the first time but second time around, even with a watch battery change store member card, the department store wouldn't touch her Frank. LSS, my wife found online a pawn shop which deigned to open her Frank and change the battery for $40. And it took two weeks!
Gadfly

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 09 Jun 2018, 01:22

jimboo wrote:Soooo, anyway. I am in the pub and there are three geezers of a certain age talking about their watches. One gent is admiring his friends watch , divers watch apparently , 700 quid , good watch he says. The chap next to him is showing the 'lads' his rolex "needs a service " he says "500 quid of anyone's money" the diver says. "It was a bargain and it's worth paying the money to have it running smoothly " says rolex guy. One of the other chaps , also wearing a rolex pipes up "the worst thing you can do is let them stop , it can damage them , starting from scratch"

Excuse me I say , what time is it please , 6.55 says the rolex owner . Funny enough that's what time mine says too I reply.

That's like a woman going up to a table of Ladies with their LV, Birkins and Bulgari handbags on their table an whipping her lipstick out of a Tesco carrier bag :lol:
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jun 2018, 15:05

My $35 Timex died. :( Sniff. Sniff. I thought it might just need a new battery but the man said it was broken.
Gadfly

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Jun 2018, 16:32

My dad left me a Tag Heuer before he died. It's an expensive watch, plus, it's the only thing he left me - so I kept it. Thing is, it doesn't really work. It's one of those watches you never need to wind. You're supposed to just shake it every now and then. It's never kept accurate time. I paid about $300, a year or so ago for a 'tuneup' which it's supposed to require every few years. Now, it needs one again. Hell, I could buy a new watch for $300, and I bet it would keep better time than the Tag. I'll probably pay for the tuneup one more time, and if the watch doesn't work right then, I'm gonna put it on the shelf and get another brand.
Thinking about Mexican food.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jun 2018, 17:48

Matt Wilson wrote:My dad left me a Tag Heuer before he died. It's an expensive watch, plus, it's the only thing he left me - so I kept it. Thing is, it doesn't really work. It's one of those watches you never need to wind. You're supposed to just shake it every now and then. It's never kept accurate time. I paid about $300, a year or so ago for a 'tuneup' which it's supposed to require every few years. Now, it needs one again. Hell, I could buy a new watch for $300, and I bet it would keep better time than the Tag. I'll probably pay for the tuneup one more time, and if the watch doesn't work right then, I'm gonna put it on the shelf and get another brand.

You really got to shake those things for a while if they've stopped. There are these watch shaking machines out there for cheap. If you look on the internet there's lots of free advice even for your specific watch. Type in the name and model number and see.
Gadfly

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jun 2018, 18:14

I have a clock in my car, a clock on my smartphone, multiple clocks at home and at work.

I don't need one on my wrist.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Jun 2018, 18:41

Matt Wilson wrote:My dad left me a Tag Heuer before he died. It's an expensive watch, plus, it's the only thing he left me - so I kept it. Thing is, it doesn't really work. It's one of those watches you never need to wind. You're supposed to just shake it every now and then. It's never kept accurate time. I paid about $300, a year or so ago for a 'tuneup' which it's supposed to require every few years. Now, it needs one again. Hell, I could buy a new watch for $300, and I bet it would keep better time than the Tag. I'll probably pay for the tuneup one more time, and if the watch doesn't work right then, I'm gonna put it on the shelf and get another brand.

Wear it on your wanking arm, problem solved. :D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Jun 2018, 19:15

Six String wrote:

Wear it on your wanking arm, problem solved. :D

Well, you see, I did that - and I think that's what broke it in the first place. The unending, and relentless, motion proved too much for the poor device and it simply gave up the ghost rather than exist in a world of constant turmoil.
Thinking about Mexican food.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jun 2018, 15:27

Ha!