The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 9791
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 19:47

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: But what "government backed organizations" are we talking about here?



the Cake Czar!
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:04

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Simplifying the cake idiocy a little more...

If a baker refuses to make a cake for a gay wedding, they are refusing because they don't like the customer. They would be perfectly within their rights to refuse a specific design that offended them...just as long as they are willing to make a cake they'd make for anyone else for that couple.

It's the same with the Trump cake. As long as they'd refuse to make one for anyone - it isn't discrimination.



I agree, but unfortunately not everyone does, nor does the government backed organizations.


I don't quite get this response. I mean, I get that most people don't understand (that's why this stupid non-debate persists). But what "government backed organizations" are we talking about here?



The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:08

bobzilla77 wrote:
But I don't think this is confusing to anyone it's just fun for Markus to run around looking for liberal hypocrisy wherever it can be found. It's a more unfortunate "Paul Is Dead" phenomenon.


Nope, no fun really. Just trying to have a bit of debate, that's all.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:14

toomanyhatz wrote:
I would like to think this is true, but I honestly think Markus is legitimately confused. Hence the discussion in the Trump thread, even though the two "Cake Controversies" are not related.



Nope, not all. No matter how much you try to paint a passive aggressive(is there any other way on BCB) "ah bless, mark doesn't get it" picture of my argument, it's simply not true. You're still following through with it, so why bother arguing with some guy on the internet. Have at it, I got one honest answer from sneelock, to which talking for sneelock, you said "I misunderstood his answer", he hasn't really backed you up on that. So you talk for him now as well.

Listen if it keeps you busy and out of trouble, keep on posting TMH.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 9791
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 20:15

The Great Defector wrote:For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.


sounds like a Civil Rights issue to me.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:16

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.


sounds like a Civil Rights issue to me.



You could be on to something Watson.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 9791
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 20:19

I guess we'll see what the Supreme Court thinks.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:19

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:I guess we'll see what the Supreme Court thinks.



Do you need a ticket or can you just show up?
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 9791
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 20:21

I think you sit out front in Lawn Chairs until somebody lets you in.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 20:22

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:I think you sit out front in Lawn Chairs until somebody lets you in.


Got a lawn chair?, Eire doesn't really have the weather to own a lawn chair.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38745
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 10 Aug 2017, 20:30

Aye, but think of the craic you could have if you did!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3163
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Fonz » 10 Aug 2017, 20:50

Let them eat cack
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25886
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Aug 2017, 21:16

The Great Defector wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:
I would like to think this is true, but I honestly think Markus is legitimately confused. Hence the discussion in the Trump thread, even though the two "Cake Controversies" are not related.



Nope, not all. No matter how much you try to paint a passive aggressive(is there any other way on BCB) "ah bless, mark doesn't get it" picture of my argument, it's simply not true. You're still following through with it, so why bother arguing with some guy on the internet. Have at it, I got one honest answer from sneelock, to which talking for sneelock, you said "I misunderstood his answer", he hasn't really backed you up on that. So you talk for him now as well.

Listen if it keeps you busy and out of trouble, keep on posting TMH.


Don't know why I'm still bothering, but maybe you're right that I like to stay busy and out of trouble. In any case, you have just confirmed that I'm right that you're legitimately confused. Either that or you're a first-class troll, in which case hatz off to ya.

I'm trying to think of where I've argued with you, and the only part where I've disagreed with you at all is when you've come to a conclusion about what something in an article signifies and I've told you - and to my mind, proven - that it doesn't signify that at all. And if you really wanted to have a debate you'd have one, responding to any of those posts rather than asking what Sneelock rightly called a "loaded" question and then saying you didn't really want an answer from me once you'd gotten one.

Likewise I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about the Colorado case, but that doesn't interest you at all, does it? Davey asked YOU a specific question and your response was to just post the exact same quote - again with no context whatsoever - again. That's not debate. Debate means responding in a way that backs up your position. Repeating what you've already said may increase something, but it ain't debate. *

And yes, I am qualified to speak for both Davey and Sneelock. I'm sure if I say anything they disagree with, they'll let me know.

*Edit - OK, it's a different quote. My mistake. But it's still without context, and with no commentary from you regarding how or why that supports your position.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22310
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Aug 2017, 21:37

The Great Defector wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

I agree, but unfortunately not everyone does, nor does the government backed organizations.


I don't quite get this response. I mean, I get that most people don't understand (that's why this stupid non-debate persists). But what "government backed organizations" are we talking about here?



The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.


Are you sure that the training involved contradicts anything I said in my post?
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25886
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Aug 2017, 21:42

By the way, here's some context that lays out the facts in an unbiased manner, for those of us that either don't know how, or are unwilling to, provide it themselves.

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/05/30/ci ... ay-couple/
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 21:54

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
I don't quite get this response. I mean, I get that most people don't understand (that's why this stupid non-debate persists). But what "government backed organizations" are we talking about here?



The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.


Are you sure that the training involved contradicts anything I said in my post?


The civil rights commison is government backed. My bad, maybe should have said instead of just highlighted.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22310
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Aug 2017, 21:55

I am not a lawyer, so Baron or someone else who is - correct me if I am wrong.

Here's how I understand the issue:

If you'd sell me and my wife this cake...
Image

...then you also have to be willing to sell it to a gay couple. Why is it discrimination if you refuse? Because the cake isn't the issue. You offer that cake to others.

On the other hand. If someone asks you to make a swastika cake, or a Donald Trump Cake, or a wedding cake with two guys fellating each other - you can say no to a gay couple as long as you would also say no to anyone else.

Get it? In this case, the problem really is about your free speech rights. Not about whom you are willing to serve.

Why is this hard?
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 10 Aug 2017, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15727
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 10 Aug 2017, 21:55

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Aye, but think of the craic you could have if you did!

We Irish do love our craic.......
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13957
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby kewl klive » 10 Aug 2017, 21:55

Image
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22310
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Aug 2017, 21:58

The Great Defector wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:



Are you sure that the training involved contradicts anything I said in my post?


The civil rights commison is government backed. My bad, maybe should have said instead of just highlighted.


That's not the issue. Do you know the substance of their training? You are saying that they are forcing other than what I described. I'd like you to substantiate that.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image