Re: The Great Big Gay Trump Cake Thread

Postby Dr Markus » 11 Aug 2017, 22:37

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:Image

Nice, who made that?

Great Big Gay Trump Fan...
DUH! ;)

Damn, I knew shouldn't have signed it at the bottom.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 12 Aug 2017, 00:04

:lol:
TuckerCrowe wrote:Is irony your answer to everything ?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Aug 2017, 00:06

Where else would a Great Big Gay Trump Fan sign?
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jun 2018, 05:37

Davey’s explanation is still correct, in my opinion. Sadly, not in the Supreme Court’s. :(
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jun 2018, 06:30

Near as I can see, they didn’t actually get around to litigating the case as we all discussed it. Instead they found for the Defendant on the basis that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission had shown bias against him in his public hearing by questioning the sincerity of his “deeply held beliefs” and by calling his views “dispicable” and comparing them to justifications for slavery and the holocaust.

So essentially...the actual issue remains unsettled from a Supreme Court perspective. They decided instead to settle the question of whether religious views can “legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain.”

In essence - the Colorado Civil Rights Commission bungled the case and the Supreme Court slapped them down for it - avoiding any useful decision on the substance of the case.

Baron - have I summarized it correctly?
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 05 Jun 2018, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 05 Jun 2018, 06:42

So, no cakes for Bar Mitzvahs because you don’t love Jeebus?
Don’t call me an anti-Semite or I’ll take your heathen ass to court.

What’s really depressing is that Garland instead of Gorsuch wouldn’t have made a difference.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 05 Jun 2018, 12:35

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Near as I can see, they didn’t actually get around to litigating the case as we all discussed it. Instead they found for the Defendant on the basis that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission had shown bias against him in his public hearing by questioning the sincerity of his “deeply held beliefs” and by calling his views “dispicable” and comparing them to justice ruins for slavery and the holocaust.

So essentially...the actual issue remains unsettled from a Supreme Court perspective. They decided instead to settle the question of whether religious views can “legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain.”

In essence - the Colorado Civil Rights Commission bungled the case and the Supreme Court slapped them down for it - avoiding any useful decision on the substance of the case.

Baron - have I summarized it correctly?

You have, indeed. They punted, which was probably the right move.

But don’t take my word for it (skip to page 4 of PDF):

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... w_d1of.pdf

It’s true that Garland wouldn’t have made a difference, but Gorsuch DID stake out a “bakers win” scenario in his concurrence, while Kagan took (basically) the opposing view in hers.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 05 Jun 2018, 19:27

I know I should be happier about this than I am. The language seems pretty inclusive in most of the statements.
Still, I really hope that Federal "Do No Harm" act or something else passes at the federal level because of all that "Project Blitz" horseshit that is targeting the states.
https://www.hrc.org/resources/do-no-harm-act
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... pe-america

same playbook as the right used with rolling back abortion rights and doubling down on second amendment rights.
this shit is going to get messy at the state level. it would be nice to see the what the Supremes would make of a "Do No Harm" type law when the hit starts shitting the fan.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 10 Jun 2018, 18:21

The more I think about this ruling the more troubling I find it. It does seem to be conceding moral high ground to those who oppose equal rights for “religious reasons”