Would Trump press the button?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Well?

Yes
12
71%
No
5
29%
 
Total votes: 17

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36917
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: semiosphere

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Aug 2017, 20:57

The Prof wrote:Image

Not too happy abut this. Right in the middle of 4 thermal radiation radiuses.



Brixworth is walking a mighty fine line, there...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22435
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Copehead » 11 Aug 2017, 04:43

Count Machuki wrote:
The Prof wrote:Image

Not too happy abut this. Right in the middle of 4 thermal radiation radiuses.



Brixworth is walking a mighty fine line, there...


I am pretty sure that is a bullshit map, why would you drop a bomb on Norwich rather than Mildenhall?

All they've done is assume that the major urban areas would be targets rather than the most important military targets, I'm pretty sure RAF Valley on Anglesey would be further up the target list than Norwich or Liverpool.

My Maternal grandfather was on the way to Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped and he was delighted.

Because they were actually in the process of building up forces for the invasion of japan and he was towing part of a Mulberry harbour there.

And considering history shows that the Military in Japan didn't want to surrender after Hiroshima and were still reluctant to surrender after Nagasaki and only did so because ordered to by the Emperor I think those suggesting that surrender was inevitable are stretching the available evidence extremely thinly.

I think I would have taken the same decision as Truman, it seemed like the fastest and least costly, in terms of humanity, way forward to him and it still does to me, despite the fact that I would cancel Britain's Trident program in an instant.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
K
Posts: 6331
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby K » 11 Aug 2017, 08:12

Still Baron wrote:Whitby it is!

Whitby is like a post apocalyptic zone already.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
//..ooOOoo..\\
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12997
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby //..ooOOoo..\\ » 11 Aug 2017, 08:25

Copehead wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
The Prof wrote:Image

Not too happy abut this. Right in the middle of 4 thermal radiation radiuses.



Brixworth is walking a mighty fine line, there...


I am pretty sure that is a bullshit map, why would you drop a bomb on Norwich rather than Mildenhall?

All they've done is assume that the major urban areas would be targets rather than the most important military targets, I'm pretty sure RAF Valley on Anglesey would be further up the target list than Norwich or Liverpool.

My Maternal grandfather was on the way to Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped and he was delighted.

Because they were actually in the process of building up forces for the invasion of japan and he was towing part of a Mulberry harbour there.

And considering history shows that the Military in Japan didn't want to surrender after Hiroshima and were still reluctant to surrender after Nagasaki and only did so because ordered to by the Emperor I think those suggesting that surrender was inevitable are stretching the available evidence extremely thinly.

I think I would have taken the same decision as Truman, it seemed like the fastest and least costly, in terms of humanity, way forward to him and it still does to me, despite the fact that I would cancel Britain's Trident program in an instant.


Image

Image
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44825
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby The Prof » 11 Aug 2017, 09:03

Copehead wrote:I am pretty sure that is a bullshit map


I'm sure it is. It's just the 20 biggest cities in mainland UK.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63036
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Aug 2017, 09:29

Morally I really struggle between the two camps as regards Hiroshima. But Nagasaki was morally wrong. Its main justification was to test a different detonation device to the Hiroshima bomb, as admitted afterwards by a great many of those directly involved.
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

Image

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29401
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Aug 2017, 10:04

I'm sure most of us struggle morally and of course we know the consequences and impact of all this.

Has anybody read Five Days In August by Michael Gordin?

Most Americans believe that the Second World War ended because the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan forced it to surrender. Five Days in August boldly presents a different interpretation: that the military did not clearly understand the atomic bomb's revolutionary strategic potential, that the Allies were almost as stunned by the surrender as the Japanese were by the attack, and that not only had experts planned and fully anticipated the need for a third bomb, they were skeptical about whether the atomic bomb would work at all. With these ideas, Michael Gordin reorients the historical and contemporary conversation about the A-bomb and World War II.

Five Days in August explores these and countless other legacies of the atomic bomb in a glaring new light. Daring and iconoclastic, it will result in far-reaching discussions about the significance of the A-bomb, about World War II, and about the moral issues they have spawned.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17031
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 11 Aug 2017, 10:12

Copehead wrote:

I am pretty sure that is a bullshit map, why would you drop a bomb on Norwich rather than Mildenhall?


:lol:

Sorry, in spite of all the dangers and absurdities, I had a jolly good laugh about this Pythonesque question!
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44825
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby The Prof » 11 Aug 2017, 15:00

There's a big RAF base at Mildenhall and it used to be used to house an American Airbase too.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32711
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby kath » 11 Aug 2017, 15:36

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I find Trump's first attempt at poetry not bad; '...will be met with fire and fury...' sounds good. Alliterative, and hints of Shakespeare and Faulkner in there too.


speaking of which... he's gone from "fire and fury" to "locked and loaded".

hints of john wayne and yosemite sam?

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29842
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby andymacandy » 11 Aug 2017, 16:02

The Prof wrote:
Copehead wrote:I am pretty sure that is a bullshit map


I'm sure it is. It's just the 20 biggest cities in mainland UK.

I imagine that Faslane and the Vickers yard in Barrow might get a bit warm too.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17031
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 11 Aug 2017, 16:02

kath wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I find Trump's first attempt at poetry not bad; '...will be met with fire and fury...' sounds good. Alliterative, and hints of Shakespeare and Faulkner in there too.


speaking of which... he's gone from "fire and fury" to "locked and loaded".

hints of john wayne and yosemite sam?


:D

Amazing... what a genius!
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17819
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Aug 2017, 16:58

kath wrote:speaking of which... he's gone from "fire and fury" to "locked and loaded".


Stage 3 of the offensive: move on Kim like a bitch

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 14881
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Aug 2017, 19:07

It's cute that people are thinking about historical precedent in regards to all this. You're certainly showing more intellectual involvement than our President.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

We know Trump doesn't like to be told what he can and can't do. If the first answer to "why don't we use them" was unconvincing, I doubt he was paying attention by the time his question was answered for the third time.

I guess one thing that leaves me on the fence, how does Trump personally profit in a situation of nuclear destruction? How does he turn that into a money maker?

I haven't worked that out yet. Lots of American people dying, means lowering the tax burden for their healthcare and welfare subsidies, but it may also dampen productivity. But real estate could probably be purchased very cheaply by anyone left alive who had a lot of money.

I think we'd have to look at some scenarios to figure out where the win-win situation is located. But we may get there.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.


User avatar
Sneehosifatz
Posts: 9525
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Sneehosifatz » 11 Aug 2017, 19:29

I've been seeing & hearing a lot of Reuters and AP articles that pretty much have Trump's back. "Tough Talk" the writer's reason. might just be what we need with North Korea.

Me, hearing The President of the United States use the phrase "locked and loaded" makes me want to start drinking early in the day.
I don't think this ass-wipe's arrogant hubris is "tough talk" anymore than telling McConnell he should quit or implying McMasters is a pussy is tough talk. the man is a D-I-C-K: DICK. straight up. lord help us all.
There is Titus Andronicus,
Titus Andronicus
wearing a snorkel
in my pool

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44825
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby The Prof » 11 Aug 2017, 19:37

bobzilla77 wrote:I how does Trump personally profit in a situation of nuclear destruction?


War's always good for business and chances of re-elaction.

User avatar
neville harp
cultural defective
Posts: 13234
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby neville harp » 11 Aug 2017, 19:46

He's had a good life, time to ensure a chapter in the history books.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Sneehosifatz
Posts: 9525
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Sneehosifatz » 11 Aug 2017, 20:16

Can't you just see him in his golf cart with a HAZMAT suit?
There is Titus Andronicus,
Titus Andronicus
wearing a snorkel
in my pool

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 14881
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Aug 2017, 20:35

Imagine the adjectives he will use to describe the bomb we drop on them. It'll make the chocolate cake at Mar A Lago sound like dogshit by comparison.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.


User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14744
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Would Trump press the button?

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Aug 2017, 22:58

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest