Do You Read The Fine Print?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Great Defector

Do You Read The Fine Print?

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 11:46

So i signed up for the boxset option on sky (British cable station) thinking that I could end it whenever I want. I got it so I could rewatch twin peaks before he start of the return. I signed up through their website without reading the fine print and fully investigating it. If I had, I would have found out that it's years contract that can't be broken unless you pay the fine, and also the only boxsets you can watch for free are ones were the tv series was shown on one the sky channels (sky Atlantic etc) the rest you have to pay for. So I have to pay 8.50 a month for boxsets that I don't really want to watch and be able to watch some stations in HD.

Do you read the fine print properly when entering contracts like this for TV, or telephone, money etc.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Do You Read The Fine Print?

Postby Still Baron » 04 Aug 2017, 11:47

Usually, yeah.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 11:51

Still Baron wrote:Usually, yeah.

You've been programmed because of your job. :lol:

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 04 Aug 2017, 12:11

The Great Defector wrote:So i signed up for the boxset option on sky (British cable station) thinking that I could end it whenever I want. I got it so I could rewatch twin peaks before he start of the return. I signed up through their website without reading the fine print and fully investigating it. If I had, I would have found out that it's years contract that can't be broken unless you pay the fine, and also the only boxsets you can watch for free are ones were the tv series was shown on one the sky channels (sky Atlantic etc) the rest you have to pay for. So I have to pay 8.50 a month for boxsets that I don't really want to watch and be able to watch some stations in HD.

Do you read the fine print properly when entering contracts like this for TV, or telephone, money etc.

Not sure if it has Twin Peaks, but Now TV is now available in ireland and has a similar arrangement to Netflix in that you can opt in and out at the end of each month. FWIW, I think Sky Box sets are great.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 12:27

fueryIre wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:So i signed up for the boxset option on sky (British cable station) thinking that I could end it whenever I want. I got it so I could rewatch twin peaks before he start of the return. I signed up through their website without reading the fine print and fully investigating it. If I had, I would have found out that it's years contract that can't be broken unless you pay the fine, and also the only boxsets you can watch for free are ones were the tv series was shown on one the sky channels (sky Atlantic etc) the rest you have to pay for. So I have to pay 8.50 a month for boxsets that I don't really want to watch and be able to watch some stations in HD.

Not sure if it has Twin Peaks, but Now TV is now available in ireland and has a similar arrangement to Netflix in that you can opt in and out at the end of each month. FWIW, I think Sky Box sets are great.

I can watch broadwalk empire, or try to watch it again. It didn't work for me the first time around.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Aug 2017, 12:48

The Great Defector wrote:

I don't read it all because I have a general idea about how a corporation can fuck me over and I assume the worst, but I pay close attention to my obligations and how I'll be paying for something. With a lease or something like that I read it all.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 04 Aug 2017, 12:51

Something like the length of the contract and obligations on breaking it should not be in the fine print.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 12:51

Still Baron wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

I don't read it all because I have a general idea about how a corporation can fuck me over and I assume the worst, but I pay close attention to my obligations and how I'll be paying for something. With a lease or something like that I read it all.

Slight tangent but do you get people asking about their rights or the law over trivial stuff like this?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Aug 2017, 12:56

This is actually a topic I'm pretty into. For those of us in common law countries, contract law is based on classical English contract law, which is premised on the assumption that both parties to a contract are in at least roughly comparable positions of bargaining power. That isn't the case in most modern day consumer contracts where the terms are dictated by the corporation to the consumer. And if the consumer doesn't like the proposed terms of the deal, there isn't really any recourse to another provider of the service because they all have basically the same terms in their unilateral contract ... take it or leave it. Unfortunately, courts and policy makers (in the US, for sure) haven't been interested in engaging in this issue because they have no interest and because it would make life too difficult for businesses who have a pretty good thing right now.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Aug 2017, 12:58

The Great Defector wrote:Slight tangent but do you get people asking about their rights or the law over trivial stuff like this?

No, but my field is highly specialized and I don't have people coming to me for all manner of issues.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 13:00

Still Baron wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Slight tangent but do you get people asking about their rights or the law over trivial stuff like this?

No, but my field is highly specialized and I don't have people coming to me for all manner of issues.

You'd have more patience than me. I work in computers, and I'd hate if people kept asking me to fix their computer.

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Aug 2017, 14:26

YES ... I read the fine print.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 14:28

:lol:

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 04 Aug 2017, 16:27

No, I just read the title. Same with threads.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Aug 2017, 17:16

I think I gave up the rights to my own DNA by clicking on to User Agreements years ago.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 04 Aug 2017, 18:06

Positive Passion wrote:Something like the length of the contract and obligations on breaking it should not be in the fine print.

Agreed.

Sadly, as Tom Waits says in Step Right Up "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"...

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Aug 2017, 18:10

I gotta admit that though I don't read the fine print, especially when presented to me by some website, I haven't been burned … yet.
I love you.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 04 Aug 2017, 19:18

No, I just read the title. Same with threads.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Aug 2017, 00:40

Jimbo wrote:I gotta admit that though I don't read the fine print, especially when presented to me by some website, I haven't been burned … yet.

The CIA are just gathering evidence jimbo.