Fast Food

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Fast Food

Postby Toby » 04 Aug 2017, 10:04

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... od-england

“It matters because the term fast food hints at a lazy, feckless attitude – people who just can’t be bothered to source or prepare their own food, or even wait for it: people who don’t care what they put into their bodies, or their children’s bodies, so long as it can be done briskly.

Fast food denotes automatic judgment and stereotyping of the consumers – it becomes their fault for choosing fast over quality. By contrast, cheap food tells a fuller (fairer) story and one that at least acknowledges a harsh economic truth – this type of food (fast, junk, but above all cheap) could be all that broke, harassed people can afford.”

What do you think?

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Re: Fast Food

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 04 Aug 2017, 10:13

Toby wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/04/life-crushingly-unacceptable-readers-fast-food-england

“It matters because the term fast food hints at a lazy, feckless attitude – people who just can’t be bothered to source or prepare their own food, or even wait for it: people who don’t care what they put into their bodies, or their children’s bodies, so long as it can be done briskly.

Fast food denotes automatic judgment and stereotyping of the consumers – it becomes their fault for choosing fast over quality. By contrast, cheap food tells a fuller (fairer) story and one that at least acknowledges a harsh economic truth – this type of food (fast, junk, but above all cheap) could be all that broke, harassed people can afford.”

What do you think?

First thoughts: the second paragraph tells a grim and true story. Fat and sugar are cheap, and immediately gratifying. It is in my opinion a form of stress medication. And it leads to obesity and diabetes, as well as cardiovascular diseases. It's often combined with overintake of alcohol, and smoking.

Being poor and hopeless is often the cause. And there are many poor and despairing folks, due to a terribly dysfunctional economical obsession.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Aug 2017, 10:36

Toby wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/04/life-crushingly-unacceptable-readers-fast-food-england

What do you think?

Fast foods aren't necessarily cheap though. Look at what a McDonalds cost now - and compare that with a proper sit down meal in a pub.
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Aug 2017, 10:37

What do you think?

Well, I would say that Frank's response to your OP confirms that the term lends itself to a fair amount of prejudice. :lol:

Didn't read the link but your quote, is untrue.

A typical fat food product like a big mac contains 90 gr meat. Supermarket value is €0,90. A bun can be had for say €0,25, A slice of Cheese, €0,30,
a pickle, slice of tomato..... say altoghether another €0,35. The price to make it yourself ( but considerably better!) is €1,80 where MacDo sells it for € 3,75

Laziness, convenience and lack of interest & knowledge is what drives fast food succes and certainly not 'it's all they can afford'
Last edited by Robert on 04 Aug 2017, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Aug 2017, 11:13

I think there’s two types of “fast” food. You have the cheap supermarket stuff, the £1 microwave meals for one and the family sized meals that can feed two adults and a couple of kids and you have the takeaway stuff. Clearly both are convenient which is a significant part of their appeal, undeniably. The former is cheaper imo than buying ingredients from scratch. I mean if you get a bit bag of oven chips and bag of, I dunno, chicken nuggets, you can put a meal together for a family for pennies per portion.

The takeaway stuff is more expensive than the supermarket stuff and it is more expensive than buying ingredients from scratch and cooking your own. Clearly convenience again is significant but I think for some takeaway food is like fags or a pint down the boozer, a “treat” and possibly a “crutch”.

Underlying all of this is a lack of food culture. We need to tackle the economic and social problems that lead to this but we also need to tackle this lack of food knowledge through education.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Postby THE FILING FEE » 04 Aug 2017, 11:16

I don't think any present-day hot topic bugs me more than this one. It seems to bring out the worst in people - moralising and lecturing, or on the other hand a kind of shoulder-shrugging ignorance.

I go to McDs about once a month for the same reasons most people go. It's convenient, you know exactly what you're going to get. It's rubbish but it's tasty. Whatever.
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Aug 2017, 11:23

I was always a Burger King man. When I was in Oz there was a period when I'd eat there everyday. I think that lasted about 2 months. I felt a bit queer after that.

These days I very rarely touch the stuff. Maybe when I'm going to a gig in Glasgow after work or summat.

I do get a takeaway once a week. Either Chinese chips (I fry some eggs and serve them with bread for butties), or something from the chipper (fish supper, chicken kebab). For me this is a Friday night treat, a reward for surviving another week of work.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

Nick

Postby Nick » 04 Aug 2017, 11:32

Diamond Dog wrote:Fast foods aren't necessarily cheap though. Look at what a McDonalds cost now - and compare that with a proper sit down meal in a pub.

It's not that expensive at McD's though, is it? I thought you could get a cheeseburger for under a quid, or something like that.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Aug 2017, 11:34

Nick wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Fast foods aren't necessarily cheap though. Look at what a McDonalds cost now - and compare that with a proper sit down meal in a pub.

It's not that expensive at McD's though, is it? I thought you could get a cheeseburger for under a quid, or something like that.

Yes maybe you can.

And it's about the size of your little fingernail.
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 11:37

Goat Boy wrote:I was always a Burger King man

The puppie's privates when it comes to fast food.
Last edited by The Great Defector on 04 Aug 2017, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Aug 2017, 12:11

I love McDonalds, but I always feel guilty after eating there. Maybe I'm hooked like it's nicotine but when I'm hungry and out and about, McDonalds - which are ubiquitous in Tokyo - is always an easy choice. If it's dinnertime I will order a Big Mac set for about $6 or if I am killing time between a class, a burger and a cup of coffee for $2 will do.

There are competing gyudon - beef bowl - chain restaurants all over the city. In New York I think there is Yoshinoya. My friend calls them skraggle. I like those too. Cheap and fast they're maybe a bit more healthful than McDonalds.
I love you.

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Aug 2017, 12:22

Dr. B. Eef wrote:I don't think any present-day hot topic bugs me more than this one. It seems to bring out the worst in people - moralising and lecturing, or on the other hand a kind of shoulder-shrugging ignorance.

I go to McDs about once a month for the same reasons most people go. It's convenient, you know exactly what you're going to get. It's rubbish but it's tasty. Whatever.

Most people do from time to time. It's not the point though. The discussion is about is it cheaper and is it all 'the poor can afford.'
It's not and no it isn't.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Aug 2017, 12:30

Dr. B. Eef wrote:It seems to bring out the worst in people - moralising and lecturing ...

That was my response after reading the first paragraph in the opening post. :roll:
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 04 Aug 2017, 13:19

Goat Boy wrote:I was always a Burger King man. When I was in Oz there was a period when I'd eat there everyday.

**smartarse alert**

Hungry Jacks maybe, but not Burger King.

**smartarsery over**
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 04 Aug 2017, 13:49

Goat Boy wrote:
Underlying all of this is a lack of food culture. We need to tackle the economic and social problems that lead to this but we also need to tackle this lack of food knowledge through education.

I will admit with the mildest apology that I didn't read the article.... for convenience. BUT I did listen to a programme about ot recently on the radio, and in a world where everyone's entitled to an ignorant loud opinion.. I'll agree with the above.

There is some research (according tp radio lady) that it is the lower socio-economic groups that tend to rely on good sources (fast food joints) that have worse nutritional benefits, despite the cost being not that much cheaper. According to Radio Lady this had to do with education rather than anything else.

Mr. Beef's objections to lecturing aside, I can't help but be a bit sad for a society that has more vulnerable groups being sold a worse (if in the short term, delicious) quality of life because it's just the norm. Choosing to eat there whenever you feel like is fine, not really given the choice is less fine.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Aug 2017, 13:53

Teacher Loses 37 Pounds After Three-Month McDonald’s Diet

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/05/teacher-loses-37-pounds-after-three-month-mcdonalds-diet/

I find this more realistic than that super size shite that basically suggested that everyone was too stupid to say no to or McDonalds had a gun to your head to say yes to things like do you want to supersize. I thought supersize me was a waste of time. Moral of the story, greasy food is bad for you if you constantly eat it, WHAT?!?!?!?! It was basically a glorified jackass stunt.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Aug 2017, 14:20

Goat Boy wrote:I think there’s two types of “fast” food. You have the cheap supermarket stuff, the £1 microwave meals for one and the family sized meals that can feed two adults and a couple of kids and you have the takeaway stuff. Clearly both are convenient which is a significant part of their appeal, undeniably. The former is cheaper imo than buying ingredients from scratch. I mean if you get a bit bag of oven chips and bag of, I dunno, chicken nuggets, you can put a meal together for a family for pennies per portion.

The takeaway stuff is more expensive than the supermarket stuff and it is more expensive than buying ingredients from scratch and cooking your own. Clearly convenience again is significant but I think for some takeaway food is like fags or a pint down the boozer, a “treat” and possibly a “crutch”.

Or break through a wall of indifference.

On second thought, I think it is convenience ( but one man's convenience is another man's lazy) but even moreso, indifference rather than anything else.

I don't believe there is anybody, no matter how ill educated, that sincerely believes he's going to have a healthy meal when he pops into a Burger chain store.

The £1 microwave meals for one, do they actually exist?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Aug 2017, 14:32

Diamond Dog wrote:

What do you think?

Fast foods aren't necessarily cheap though. Look at what a McDonalds cost now - and compare that with a proper sit down meal in a pub.

Fast food in the UK is more expensive than in the US.

Several months ago, my son told me, "Let's not eat fast food anymore." So, we don't. The fastest food we'll eat are at sandwich places.

My daughter likes to do a Taco Bell run every once in awhile.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Aug 2017, 14:34

hippopotamus wrote:There is some research (according tp radio lady) that it is the lower socio-economic groups that tend to rely on good sources (fast food joints) that have worse nutritional benefits, despite the cost being not that much cheaper. According to Radio Lady this had to do with education rather than anything else.

Especially true in the US, where you'll see liquor stores and fast food places, but never any supermarkets. The thought by grocery chains is folks are paying with food stamps and the potential of theft is too great, along with folks stealing carts.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Aug 2017, 16:45

Robert wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think there’s two types of “fast” food. You have the cheap supermarket stuff, the £1 microwave meals for one and the family sized meals that can feed two adults and a couple of kids and you have the takeaway stuff. Clearly both are convenient which is a significant part of their appeal, undeniably. The former is cheaper imo than buying ingredients from scratch. I mean if you get a bit bag of oven chips and bag of, I dunno, chicken nuggets, you can put a meal together for a family for pennies per portion.

Or break through a wall of indifference.

On second thought, I think it is convenience ( but one man's convenience is another man's lazy) but even moreso, indifference rather than anything else.

I don't believe there is anybody, no matter how ill educated, that sincerely believes he's going to have a healthy meal when he pops into a Burger chain store.

The £1 microwave meals for one, do they actually exist?

I think when something like that doesn't really exist then indifference doesn't come into it. Their food culture IS £1 meals, chicken nuggets etc. I see this in Farmfoods, you know. People loading up with this stuff.

It's not about being healthy. Some people don't approach meals in that way. It is simply sustenance, nothing more and the cheaper the better.

You can get "meals" for a quid, yes.

Return to “Nextdoorland”