Michael Andrew Lownsdale

Swindon

Postby Michael Andrew Lownsdale » 29 Jul 2017, 09:58

THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Re: Swindon

Postby THE FILING FEE » 03 Aug 2017, 07:09

Awful, soulless place.

Fucking Southerners, eh? The wit of sea creatures after the tank has been emptied.
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Aug 2017, 18:39

I visited there once and looked up Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding in the telephone directory to try to see their places. No idea if the places I found were theirs. They were totally nondescript -- somewhere I have a photograph of a garage door. Maybe everybody in Swindon lived like that? Maybe they never made a dime? And there certainly were a couple of each name in the directory, which I found odd. They're not the most common of names.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Aug 2017, 20:34

In 1960 I was briefly a member of a trainspotting club, and we went to Swindon on an outing to look around the loco repair workshops (Swindon is a railway town, and then had the largest loco sheds in the country. Wandering around in all the noise of clanging and hammering and welding torches, furnaces there looking up at these extraordinary towering machines - seeing them from platforms and bridges elevated above the tracks you get no idea of just how huge they are from ground level – including some famous ones such as The City of Truro, and one of the dinky single-figure locos from the Devil's Bridge/Aberystwyth line was, well, awe-inspiring.
But that's all gone now, the steam of course (for a decade or more after the switch from steam there were sidings full of rusting 0-6-0 shunters nose to tail, waiting to be scrapped). and all the sheds and workshops.
I lived near it for 20 years, went through it on a train on a weekly basis, occasionally got off and once went to the County Ground to see Swindon play... can't remember the opposition, but Hoddle was playing for Swindon...and I can confirm it is now a soulless shithole of little or no charm.
But back when I were a wee nipper...
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 15 Aug 2017, 20:39

Quaco wrote:I visited there once and looked up Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding in the telephone directory to try to see their places. No idea if the places I found were theirs. They were totally nondescript -- somewhere I have a photograph of a garage door. Maybe everybody in Swindon lived like that? Maybe they never made a dime? And there certainly were a couple of each name in the directory, which I found odd. They're not the most common of names.

You should have just used the map

A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 15 Aug 2017, 20:40

A good friend of mine in highschool came from Swindon. I never did know why his family moved over here, but they seemed fairly well-to-do. Perhaps I'll ask him one day.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Aug 2017, 21:21

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I never did know why his family moved over here

I think the answer is that they came from Swindon.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

Return to “Nextdoorland”