I'm American and I own a gun
No votes
I'm American and I don't own a gun but have thought about it or might some day
2%
I'm an American and I don't own a gun and don't want one
35%
I'm a non-American and I own a gun
10%
I'm a non-American and I don't own a gun but have thought about it or might some day
2%
I'm a non-American and I don't own a gun and don't want one
49%
I'm a non-American, so I don't own a gun, but if it were easier to get one (like in the states) I would
2%

Total votes: 49

martha
rambling rose

Re: Do you own a gun?

Postby martha » 30 Jul 2017, 21:45

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Anybody ever been robbed at gunpoint? I sure have!

Really? I honestly don't know what I'd feel in such a situation. Perhaps frightened to death, perhaps surprisingly calm (feeling nothing? frozen?).

The fear hits the next day.
--m.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 30 Jul 2017, 21:45

Count Machuki wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

Really? I honestly don't know what I'd feel in such a situation. Perhaps frightened to death, perhaps surprisingly calm (feeling nothing? frozen?).

Surprisingly calm, even detached when lying in an alley with a gun to the back of my head. A blubbering, quivering mess for a day afterwards.

What he said. :D

Yes. Twice. The second time was oddly surreal and violence free -- basically like that scene in LA Story, "Hi, my name is bob, I'll be your robber tonight". I walked off BART and started walking home and as I turned a corner three guys just sort of surrounded me and one of them said almost politely "I'll be taking your purse now." They had guns in the fronts of their jeans and they were menacing, but matter of fact. Cold and quick. I gave it to them without hesitation and the guy actually tipped his hat to me and then they continued on and I just sort of froze and leaned against the wall of a building, and watched them walk off....they walked about twenty feet and tossed my purse on the ground, sans money. After they moved further away, I went and picked it up and called the cops to report it. They got thirty bucks.

The first time though was nasty and I actually had some kind of PTSD from it afterwards.
--m.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 30 Jul 2017, 22:42

I'm an American and I don't own a gun and don't want one. Neither does my spouse, gun ownership is not for us. I do not believe either of us would ever change our position on this issue. Aside from finding guns morally repugnant, I am certain that I do not have the proper temperament to be a gun owner and I know my kid way too well to bring guns into her life. I won't ever have a gun in my home.

But I've fired guns, I've even taken a marksmanship class in college.

I live in Montana, which has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the United States and is an open carry state. It's rural here and this is the Rockies. We live off a meadow adjacent to national park land and we get black and grizzly bears in our yard from time to time when neighbors are not careful about trash or leave food out overnight in a BBQ area. There have been wolves and mountain lions sighted and photographed in the meadow and rocky knoll near our home. So I can sort of understand why some people here would consider owning a rifle or shotgun.

But hunting rifles and even shotguns are to me are a different matter than handguns and assault weapons. I mean yes, Montana is rural. There's wildlife. But that's why they make bear spray and have fish and wildlife agents. The fact that anyone around me is probably armed, along with just having to survive hunting season, has been a source of stress for me as a person, particularly as a parent.

What alarms me lately though is that Post-Trump there's a lot of hate spewing around me towards liberals, people of color, non-christians and the non-heteronormative folks and I've been sort of shocked that lately many of friends have started either jokingly or seriously saying they are considering getting handguns. Their reasoning is that they feel frightened of conservative gun owners, neo nazis and kooks and the rise of fascism and don't want to be unprotected if the new brownshirts come a-knocking. I just hope they are joking and not serious, because for an otherwise rational person to buy a gun after a lifetime of not owning one because of the nationalistic zeal and polarization here seems unspeakably sad and fundamentally wrong to me.
--m.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Jul 2017, 12:21

Jumper K wrote:I don't shoot any more.

Out of no need to, or a dislike of guns after your service.

Last question.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 31 Jul 2017, 14:56

The Great Defector wrote:
Jumper K wrote:I don't shoot any more.

Out of no need to, or a dislike of guns after your service.

Last question.

My time is taken up with other stuff I like better these days. I sold most of my collection to a good friend a couple of years ago and could go to the range if the whimsy took me. I've pretty much got guns and shooting out of my system. Tanks are a whole different matter though ;)

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 31 Jul 2017, 15:20

martha wrote:The first time though was nasty and I actually had some kind of PTSD from it afterwards.

:shock:

I should say so! I caught your extraordinary post and I'm glad you're alright.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 31 Jul 2017, 20:07

Yeah weirdly when I wrote it it was cathartic, but when I reread it it was stressing me out again. I had a nightmare again about it all for the first time in years, and decided anyone involved in that incident or the later incidents would only be stressed out by it and it could be a trigger for them. Sometimes I just get TOO damn detailed. I'm amazed that I had such clear total recall of it all after 30 years, but6 recollection has a price, I had a really bad night last night. So I took it down.
--m.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Aug 2017, 14:22

I get it. Sorry you had to go through all that, still.
Ugh. What a thing.
As I believe I said before, guns are bad.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Aug 2017, 18:35

STILL no American gun owners.

I'm actually a little surprised by that. I'd be willing to bet we have at least a few.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Aug 2017, 19:13

toomanyhatz wrote:STILL no American gun owners.

I'm actually a little surprised by that. I'd be willing to bet we have at least a few.

I know, right.

Just so we could throw Scott Walker vinyl and cds in the air and blow 'em out of the sky.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Aug 2017, 19:28

HA!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 22 Aug 2017, 20:39

Jumper K wrote:Tanks are a whole different matter though ;)

"When a man is tired of tanks, he is tired of life."
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Aug 2017, 23:44

//..ooOOoo..\\ wrote:HA!

Scott shooting instead of skeet shooting.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Aug 2017, 23:59

Who's skeet? Isn't he an actor?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Nextdoorland”