First female Dr Who

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Re: First female Dr Who

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 16 Jul 2017, 18:50

Great!
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2017, 21:07

Ridiculous. I for one will never watch it again.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2017, 21:08

I don't watch it now though. I have no problem with the sex or race or species of whoever plays Dr Who. I was just being all edgy in a Ricky Gervais way.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 16 Jul 2017, 21:56

Who's that girl though?
For me the last couple of doctors didn't work out but that is also part to the convoluted scripts and abundance of stupidity in the main storylines.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 16 Jul 2017, 23:19

never/ever wrote:Who's that girl though?
For me the last couple of doctors didn't work out but that is also part to the convoluted scripts and abundance of stupidity in the main storylines.

Also, it's not a long time gig like it was back in the day. Actors do it until something better comes along.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 17 Jul 2017, 08:46

Darkness_Fish wrote:Ridiculous. I for one will never watch it again.

Agree. Think it's shameful how they've totally neglected physically/mentally challenged people again.

Should have stuck with Pearl Mackie's character (female, black and out-and-proud lesbian*), given her a limp and made her a bit forgetful

* Although not necessarily in that order

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Jul 2017, 12:09

Some guy on Facebook (no idea who he is) has explained it all

Having studied the phenomenon at length.... the Doctor would also appear to have other anomalies with their regeneration. For instance, the fourth Doctor's (Tom Baker) companion Romana, a fellow timelord, seemed to suffer no pain during her regeneration, and even tried on several bodies before settling on the body of Princess Astra, a person she had met on a recent previous adventure. In contrast, The Doctor appears to suffer great pain on most occasions, and has no choice in the body that results from the process. On two occasions (sixth and twelfth), however, the resulting body has been an identical copy of a humanoid he met on a past adventure, which suggests that some kind of imprinting is at play here - and as Romana also took on the body of someone she had met on a previous adventure, we now have three occurrences of this on the show. A possible explanation for these anomalies is found in the 1996 TV Movie (aka The Enemy Within), one of only two televised outings for the criminally under-rated Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann), in which the plot revolves around the surprise reveal that The Doctor is half-human "on my mother's side". However, this was a really silly idea and has never been mentioned again, and a possible explanation is that one of his two hearts stopped beating due to the excessive use of the defibrillator during the regeneration process, making his body more physically resemble a human. During the regeneration from Eight to the War Doctor, a potion from the Sisters of Karn was employed, so the Doctor could be a soldier in order to fight the Time War. The potion may have affected future regenerations. Another notable mention is that of the Timelord known as the Corsair, of which the Eleventh Doctor remarks was a woman a few times. As Timelord biology is only seldom hinted at, we don't quite have enough information at present to come up with a conclusive explanation for the probability anomaly of The Doctor predominantly being male. However, my hypothesis is that Timelords might be genetically biased towards a particular gender, and one gender appears to dominate their regeneration cycle, sometimes exclusively, and sometimes just mostly. With those Timelords, like Romana, who can choose their new bodies, they might possibly be limited to people they have met previously, however this may have just been a personal choice on Romana's part (and the Doctor does remark "you can't go around wearing copies", despite later doing so, albeit unintentionally). The Doctor does tend to hang around with a lot of female humans, and so if a genetic bias was not at play, it is probably statistically more likely that they would be female much more often, which would happen more often if imprinting was a huge factor. Now, with the new set of regenerations granted by the Timelord council on Gallifrey at the end of his first round of the limit of 12 regenerations (13 bodies... although there were only Eleven Doctors, we also add to this the War Doctor and the partial regeneration during Tenth's life), the Doctor may go towards being female more often. On earth, there are lots of examples of species changing sex throughout their lifetime, for example Yew trees often change sex as they get older. The Master/Missy is probably the same, having been male in all their previous incarnations until the latest one. Interestingly, Missy seemed oblivious as to her gender. The Doctor has regenerated many times in a short span of time for a Timelord, with some bodies only lasting a few years due to heroic antics, and may now be at an age where being female is the dominant state. The Twelfth Doctor (Capaldi) was optimistic about this... when asked by the Master (John Simm) "Will the future be all girl?", he replied "We can only hope."
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 17 Jul 2017, 13:32

Philip Hammond must be having a fit. If - as he claims - a woman can't drive a train, how can one be expected to control a complex piece of kit like the Tardis?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 17 Jul 2017, 13:43

Odds on the next doctor being black will be short now.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 17 Jul 2017, 15:12

The Great Defector wrote:Odds on the next doctor being black will be short now.

How about the odds on the next Doctor being short and black?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 17 Jul 2017, 16:03

fueryIre wrote:

Kevin hart? I like it!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 17:18

fueryIre wrote:

And in a mobility device
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 17:19

Fonz wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

And in a mobility device

They will toilet in a safe space
Heyyyy!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 17:19

Fonz wrote:
Fonz wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

And in a mobility device

They will toilet in a safe space

And other PC clichés
Heyyyy!

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 17 Jul 2017, 18:21

twat!
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Jul 2017, 21:03

Not right now, I've just eaten.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 17 Jul 2017, 21:59

I;m not concerned with the sex of the Doctor, I'm more concerned about the rather convoluted storylines and the ridiculous way the various characters are intertwined with the lot. Sometimes it just leaves me completely confused as to what revelation we are being treated to now.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Jul 2017, 10:30

I watched Dr Who from the beginning (apart from 1966-70 when university and not having a TV of my own got in the way) (and at least 50 episodes while tripped out of mind), but missed out on the elaboration of the mythos in comics and other media in the 1990s. Quite a lot of what Davies, and especially Moffatt, fanboys both, have done since the second series of the TV reboot, with Tennant, Smith and Capaldi. has been about tying up loose ends from those and integrating the comic-book storylines into the Doctor's backstory, while finding a way of bringing back Gallifrey, extending the Doctor's regenerations, and so on. So in comes Chris Chibnall, another fanboy, with great writing credits on Torchwood, Life on Mars and Broadchurch to his name, with a complex backstory in place as a springing-off point, a huge range of possible recurring characters / races / villains / dooms, and a sudden expansion of possibilities in creating yet another character for the Doctor. All of this is more interesting and, yes, exciting to me than the sex (gender is for nouns) of the person who takes on the role.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Jul 2017, 12:32

Isn't 'person' a noun?

Pedantically yours etc
Heyyyy!