peace/noise/music

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

peace/noise/music

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 12 Jul 2017, 21:32

I find that now I'm older I really need peace a lot of the time. I feel happy when it's very quiet - there's a direct and very simple correlation between my own mood and the amount of noise around me (as I write, some of the fellas I'm sharing the student accommodation with went out for the evening, and I swear when I heard the outside door slam for the last time all my muscles slackened like punctured balloons).

I guess that I'm not alone - so do you manage to get enough quiet? do you need to escape to get it? And how does this work with music - do you listen to less (noisy) music these days? Or is that somehow a separate thing?
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

Quaco
F R double E

Re: peace/noise/music

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2017, 21:45

I do listen to less music these days; less-noisy music too. I'll sometimes intend to put on an album but then forget about it for a couple hours. The main thing may be, as I've gotten older, I have less tolerance for 'stuff I didn't put on'. For example, outside noise can become tiresome, but I will gladly listen to a sound effects record of engines whirring or something.

Also, other people's noise just generally feels like they're being inconsiderate. A loud party where you can tell they're not really listening to the music (e.g., an endless techno or hip-hop groove) is infuriating. And yet, people next door actually putting on music, or a kid down the block learning guitar, those are fine. It's that sense that they're not really paying attention to it, BUT WE HAVE TO. It's like people renovating their house, and they move away for a month while the neighbors all have to hear it.

That said, I do kind of miss the feeling of living around other people, people who do their own things and make a little noise or are laughing in the other part of the house.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jul 2017, 22:01

I really enjoyed being a husband and dad, but I am a loner at heart. When I never had any peace and quiet, I got used to it and I was younger. Now that I live alone, I enjoy the peace and quiet and I'm only a dad on the weekends, primarily. I pick up my son for camp and call him at night, but 14 year old boys have a lot of energy and can be really loud - I bring three to a cabin for a week in a month so it's going to be lots of over stimulation.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 13:26

Peace and quiet has always been important to me because I have an aversion to sounds I don’t like. What I mean by that is that certain sounds go through me, you know? I’m like Rainman or summat. Generally speaking peoples voices are far more annoying than general ambient/background noise which can be quite pleasing when minimal (like a birds call or a plane flying overhead). A persons laugh can make me put my head in my hands and massage my temple (quite literally). At work this can be a real problem but I’m lucky that where I live is very quiet. I can’t even hear traffic and about the loudest thing I hear is cats fighting at night. My neighbours are very quiet too which is a real bonus. I mean I never hear them.

I do listen to less “noisy” music. No metal, not much Rock really either but then I go through phases of listening to different stuff so it's not related. I still listen to music loud but always on headphones so as not to disturb the neighbours.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Jul 2017, 13:30

What is it that makes a cell phone talker's voice more annoying than a regular phone caller's voice or the voices of a normal conversation?
I love you.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Jul 2017, 13:52

I guess that if you find yourself in a constantly busy/noisy environment, the complete opposite sensation of utter peace comes as the total rescue. I work in a very noisy environment and live in a quiet cul-de-sac and yet I always feel the need of noise around me- playing music most times or let the TV run in the background. The best experiences I always find is when you have a perfect moment of solitude to offset your daily life against- like tasting something incredibly delicious instead of your daily meal of grits. The best holidays I have is when I can mix up the idea of total rest with the idea of discovery- like doing a prog cruise first and then go hiking in Patagonia in some of the most beautiful landscapes this earth has to offer. So when I have that moment of quiet it feels like a total immersive experience- something that comes to me but not always necessitated nor solicited.

With music I can go from 0 to 100 pretty easy. I haven't slowed down nor turned my ear to more relaxing music, I've always listened to ambient stuff and now I'm listening to the fourth disc in the Sgt. Pepper's box. I'd say that my musical taste hasn't changed much, it just feels that I have less time to listen to new and interesting music but that is not important.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Jul 2017, 14:47

I don't listen to less noisy music, I guess I find it hard to find music that has the impact that I require from that kind of thing. Sometimes, Merzbow just doesn't attack the senses enough. But that's almost an aside. Most of the irritating noise in life seems to be the fault of my son. He watches youtube, which is literally the worst crime in the history of humanity. These people have voices that range from excruciatingly annoying (Stampy) to tedious beyond belief (Dan TDM). If he's not watching youtube, he's either watching annoying kids' TV, or talking at exactly 1367 words per second, non-stop for 15 continuous hours. I love him, but sometimes I reach a point where a nervous breakdown is about to kick in.

Luckily, it's fairly easy to get some quiet. Quite often I just drive out to some random part of the pennines, and walk over some godforsaken hills in blissful isolation, or just nip down to the canal towpath and cycle towards Preston. Lazy cycling, where there's never an incline to speak of. But I definitely need that alone time, I couldn't cope without it.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Jul 2017, 17:46

I still like listening to loud nasty shit, and playing it. I do it maybe slightly less often than I used to.

But one thing that's changed, I don't do background music anymore. I don't have a radio or music player at work. And unless I'm actively listening to something I'm excited to hear, I don't often play music at home. The only exception would be if I'm doing something repetitive/ mindless like cleaning up the yard.

To that extent, yes, I do enjoy silence more as I get older.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 Jul 2017, 19:13

Peace and quiet is essential to me. I've never really read (and definitely not studied or revised) and listened to music, or cared for people chatting, at the same time: it's one or the other for me to get the best from each.

I don't mind the noisy sounds of summer such as hedge trimmers or lawn mowers because you know that's because it's Summer, my favourite season and it's very short lived. Others bad loud music, such as Ibiza clubbing sounds and reggae reggae is tolerable and fairly brief.

Silence is all the more precious to me as 18 months ago, there were major renovations afoot on the floor above me for close to 5 months, Monday to Saturday from 10 till 4 and myself having 2 days off midweek as well as the weekend, I was almost losing my sanity towards the end. It's the drilling through concrete that was the kicker. I'm an old hand now on the various types of ear plugs available and for what noise level and type.

Anyway, that's over and I appreciate and love the peace of my neighbourhood. There's barely any through traffic day or night, plenty of bird song amongst the many trees, including occcasional parakeets which are fun to look at and all I hear late evenings are the odd few foxes fighting.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 15 Jul 2017, 18:09

John Onan wrote:I find that now I'm older I really need peace a lot of the time. I feel happy when it's very quiet - there's a direct and very simple correlation between my own mood and the amount of noise around me (as I write, some of the fellas I'm sharing the student accommodation with went out for the evening, and I swear when I heard the outside door slam for the last time all my muscles slackened like punctured balloons).

I guess that I'm not alone - so do you manage to get enough quiet? do you need to escape to get it? And how does this work with music - do you listen to less (noisy) music these days? Or is that somehow a separate thing?

I think I need peace more than quiet.
Peace come sometimes come with noise.
I remember when I was young, staying over with a friend of mind for a holiday... maybe a week or something. They never ever listened to any music. At the time I would have my radio on ALL the time. I got home put on Beethoven's 7th Sympony, 2nd movement REALLY loudly. The music creeps and it took up the whole house. I lay down and fell asleep, finally at ease.
These days I go to the park to find the same sense of quiet. I get no such quiet in the Hospital, so I've realise I can't have that same level of busy and hustle around me, which would come from living in the city unless I have somewhere to escape.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

Return to “Nextdoorland”