Road Trip

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Road Trip

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2017, 21:12

Just heard about this road trip on the radio: http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/

I started thinking about a road trip I'd like to take. Burgundy region in France would be one. The Basque region and Western Canada or Eastern US road trip.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Road Trip

Postby Still Baron » 11 Jul 2017, 22:54

I daydream about road trips all the time. When I was in school I drove back and forth across the eastern half of the country several times a year and I really miss it. I think about driving out to West Texas to swim at the springs at Balmorhea State Park. I think about cruising around New England (I've never really been outside of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Mass, and haven't been to those places in almost 20 years). I would like to drive through the Smoky Mountains and parts of the deep south I haven't spent much time in. Montana, Wyoming, Utah, all that shit. New Mexico and the AZ/UT/NV desert. And, of course, a midwestern baseball road trip. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, Minneapolis . . . The main problem is free time. That's the luxury.
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2017, 23:02

Still Baron wrote:And, of course, a midwestern baseball road trip. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, Minneapolis . . . The main problem is free time. That's the luxury.

That's a trip I'd like to do. A trip of Pacific Coast League, AAA, California, maybe going to Nevada (Reno Aces) and California A league parks.

Oregon, where I'm likely retiring, only has Salem-Keizer short season team and Portland, short season. If I stay in Eugene, I can always go see the Ducks play.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Jul 2017, 17:13

I love road trips. My ex and I did two cool trips that allowed us to see the entire California coast. We went to Highway 1 just below San Francisco and drove to Chula Vista in leisurely fashion. Another time we drove up to Bend, Oregon to visit friends and when we left there we drove west to the coast and followed it down into California before heading east for home.

In the early 90s I did a road trip in British Columbia that was really fun.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 Jul 2017, 17:30

We just drove out to the east coast and back (with a weeklong stay at a cottage in between) and it was great. What can usually be done in about 18 hours, we spread out over three days each way. The drive isn't that interesting until you get past Montreal and Quebec City, and then the landscape becomes a bit more dramatic, with massive stone outcroppings and monolithic mountains that seem to appear out of nowhere.

I drove across the states in the early nineties with a couple of friends in a Jeep, which was pretty incredible (despite the cowshit stench that covered most of Nebraska). We camped in some amazing spots, including the Nevada desert, the Redwood forest north of San Francisco, and in New Mexico. We ran out of money in New Mexico and only had enough for gas to get us home, so we did a straight-shot back to just east of Toronto, with the three of us taking turns driving. That was a hell of a trip.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2017, 20:14

Wanna do Germany/Austria again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jul 2017, 21:44

Quaco wrote:Wanna do Germany/Austria again.

With lots of Kraftwerk on the car stereo.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2017, 21:46

Yeah!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jul 2017, 21:50

Speaking of road trips, my friend Kevin and I were coming down off the Carson Pass in the Sierra Nevadas to this little Nevada town called Markleeville to start a whitewater rafting trip about 10 years ago. Below is a view that you see coming down from the top of the pass.

I was playing Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle and it was tripping out my buddy a little, the juxtaposition of urban music and extreme nature.

Return to “Nextdoorland”