Info On Keyboard/MIDI Controller Required

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Info On Keyboard/MIDI Controller Required

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Jul 2017, 17:32

Hi Rick Wakeman Tribute Artists out there -

I want to buy a keyboard with MIDI connectivity.

But when I tried to orientate myself in this field, I got very confused. I saw that there are also MIDI-controllers, that appear to have a gazillion possibilities, if only in combination with a PC.

Price ranges are extraordinarily wide.

I saw Yamahas, Casios, M-Audios, Medelis, and many other things.

Basically, I want to try out my skills at the keys, to generate good piano sounds, and I want to multi-track myself on electric guitar, acoustic guitar (later on), and the keys.

How are the drum functions (or rhythms) on a budget keyboard?

OK, more than enough questions.

I want to spend € 150 maximum (because there are other expenses); it may be a 2nd hand (what should I worry about?).

Here are some things that I saw just now:

Roland A-49-BK

Alesis Q25

Yamaha PSR-353

As I said: I really don't have a clue...
Last edited by Bride Of Sea Of Tunes on 07 Jul 2017, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Info On Keyboard/MIDI Controller Required

Postby Deebank » 07 Jul 2017, 18:09

MIDI controllers don't have any 'native' sound on board they only work in conjunction with software on a pc or mac or other external equipment.

Pretty much every keyboard (with sounds) has midi these days and should interact with any pic or external units in addition to their onboard capabilities.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Jul 2017, 18:33

Deebank wrote:MIDI controllers don't have any 'native' sound on board they only work in conjunction with software on a pc or mac or other external equipment.

Pretty much every keyboard (with sounds) has midi these days and should interact with any pic or external units in addition to their onboard capabilities.

Thanks -

is the use of a MIDI-controller with a PC something that has to be learned in itself (i.e. time consuming, complex)?

Oh, and assuming that a decent keyboard does have reasonable sound by itself - I'd have to purchase better PC speakers and a small amp to add to my computer, should I get a MIDI-controller?

Third: these MIDI-controllers with 25 or 49 keys: what about the octave range? Is a shift possible, so that I actually can stretch over the usual 61 (or 88) keys?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Jul 2017, 20:32

If you only want to play piano, get a piano (electric kbd) they usually have built in speakers along with a bunch of other popular sounds - organ, strings etc.

And you don't have to be next to yr computer to play.

A midi controller is more use if you have a 'DAW' I would advise against this unless you are hoping to compose/record multi-part music.

If you just want to tinkle the ivories get an instrument rather than a controller.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 08 Jul 2017, 11:25

Deebank wrote:If you only want to play piano, get a piano (electric kbd) they usually have built in speakers along with a bunch of other popular sounds - organ, strings etc.

And you don't have to be next to yr computer to play.

A midi controller is more use if you have a 'DAW' I would advise against this unless you are hoping to compose/record multi-part music.

If you just want to tinkle the ivories get an instrument rather than a controller.

Cheers, this really helps!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Jul 2017, 19:14

It does sound like a MIDI controller is more trouble than what you need. I agree with the suggestion to get a simple electric keyboard with built in sounds.

The keyboard player in our band uses a MIDI controller and there is often something going wrong with it. It's got a lot of capability for small money compared to the old days, but as part of the payoff, it seems like you get weird glitches like stuck keys being common in the inexpensive controllers. Some days his PC doesn't want to boot up, or they keyboard can't find the sound source.

Basically with a MIDI controller, all the sounds are stored in your PC or rack mount gear. The keyboard is basically like a joystick, telling the computer what pitch to play. I think it does take some getting used to... our guy has had this setup for years and there's still often something going wrong with it. So keeping it simple is a good idea.

If you really need all 88 keys for the music you want to make, you can get electronic keyboards in that configuration, they will probably be more expensive. So you have to decide what's necessary.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Jul 2017, 19:28

I concur that you should get a keyboard instrument (which are usually MIDI anyway, should you ever want to plug it in to a computer to access other sounds someday) rather than a controller with no sounds of its own.

You probably need 50-ish keys (probably don't need 88, those are more expansive and very large anyway) and a minimum of a couple tolerable sounds (couple pianos, couple elec. pianos, couple organs) and its own speaker.

Something like this?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/PSR- ... eyboard.gc
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 12 Jul 2017, 16:06

Quaco wrote:I concur that you should get a keyboard instrument (which are usually MIDI anyway, should you ever want to plug it in to a computer to access other sounds someday) rather than a controller with no sounds of its own.

You probably need 50-ish keys (probably don't need 88, those are more expansive and very large anyway) and a minimum of a couple tolerable sounds (couple pianos, couple elec. pianos, couple organs) and its own speaker.

Something like this?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/PSR- ... eyboard.gc

Thanks to you and Bobzilla too -

I've decided on a keyboard (and apart from those in the entry range, all do have MIDI).

61 keys is the number I'll go for.

What attracted me to the controllers was not the best of arguments: they look simple, smart, slick, attractive for a low price, plus they look quite solid (on the outside).

But now I think they're not suited to my needs.

Return to “Nextdoorland”