Barry Norman RIP

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
fire and fueryIre

Barry Norman RIP

Postby fire and fueryIre » 01 Jul 2017, 12:41

RIP Baz

For my money - and jolly good money it is too - he was always worth watching on Film Night or whatever they ended up calling it after they put each year's date in the title.

Thang-y

Re: Barry Norman RIP

Postby Thang-y » 01 Jul 2017, 12:51

And why not?

He was *the* host of Film Night as far as I was concerned (followed by Jonathan Ross and Claudia Winkleman? They should have kept BN), still not able to watch it with current presenters. I enjoyed his take on films, valued his opinions - unlike any of his replacements.

72 - 98 he did it. Good run.

I'd see him at film screenings sometimes but never spoke to him.

RIP.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 01 Jul 2017, 12:54

Very sad to hear this. Our screenadelica subtitle is in honour of him

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 13:04

Along with Halliwells, he was very much my introduction to the idea that film could be appreciated rather than just be this disposable form of entertainment, and for that I'm grateful. Later on as my tastes grew more sophisticated and knowledgeable, he appeared a bit old hat, even reactionary. But I think it would be unfair to characterise him in this way now. He was simply very good at presenting film in a mainstream context; applying a critical eye, but with an ever ready quip to disarm any pomposity. The BBC never really replaced him.

In the dark days when there was so little media, particularly media about popular culture, it really was required viewing for me. The thought of his warm, avuncular tones and that jazzy piano intro (Ramsey Lewis I think) still evoke a pleasurable Proustian rush in me.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 01 Jul 2017, 13:04

RIP dear Barry.

Fond memories of a less-than-enthused review of Fire Walk With Me where he mentioned that amongst the perplexing series of events in that film was "a brief - and baffling - appearance by David Bowie". It didn't seem to redeem the movie for him :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 01 Jul 2017, 14:41

K wrote:A film critic with gravitas.

Well that's it, isn't it? And sure, Ross knows about films but I don't agree with many of his opinions or like his "me me me" style. And what were they doing with an airhead like Winkleman on there? I don't miss watching TV (Netflix and occasional science or history catch up on iplayer excepted) at all. Watching Norman on Film Night used to be enjoyable and I used to bear in mind what he said when going to the cinema. Seems like a completely different era.

More accurate reportage from the Daily Fail

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 01 Jul 2017, 14:59

Is that real?
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 01 Jul 2017, 15:07

The Modernist wrote:Along with Halliwells, he was very much my introduction to the idea that film could be appreciated rather than just be this disposable form of entertainment, and for that I'm grateful. Later on as my tastes grew more sophisticated and knowledgeable, he appeared a bit old hat, even reactionary. But I think it would be unfair to characterise him in this way now. He was simply very good at presenting film in a mainstream context; applying a critical eye, but with an ever ready quip to disarm any pomposity. The BBC never really replaced him.

In the dark days when there was so little media, particularly media about popular culture, it really was required viewing for me. The thought of his warm, avuncular tones and that jazzy piano intro (Ramsey Lewis I think) still evoke a pleasurable Proustian rush in me.

Similar to me G.
Halliwell's and Barry Norman along with Danny Peary's Cult Film books were the bedrocks of my film education. Add in regular film seasons on both BBC 1 & 2 and then Channel 4 in the early eighties. Film Year? was essential viewing. His taste was mainstream but not in a dismissive way of anything else.

When he took a break from presenting his talent was highlighted. Ian Johnstone was good but Michael Parkinson was terrible bemoaning the lack of film stars like he grew up with.
Even if he didn't like a movie you would know why and still be able to judge whether you'd like it or not.

A school friend of my brother when he went to university, had as a girlfriend one of Norman's daughters. According to him Barry was a lovely man who welcomed him into the family home, and didn't play the "I'm on the telly" card at all.

Cheers Barry
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 01 Jul 2017, 15:33

Jeemo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Along with Halliwells, he was very much my introduction to the idea that film could be appreciated rather than just be this disposable form of entertainment, and for that I'm grateful. Later on as my tastes grew more sophisticated and knowledgeable, he appeared a bit old hat, even reactionary. But I think it would be unfair to characterise him in this way now. He was simply very good at presenting film in a mainstream context; applying a critical eye, but with an ever ready quip to disarm any pomposity. The BBC never really replaced him.

Similar to me G.
Halliwell's and Barry Norman along with Danny Peary's Cult Film books were the bedrocks of my film education. Add in regular film seasons on both BBC 1 & 2 and then Channel 4 in the early eighties. Film Year? was essential viewing. His taste was mainstream but not in a dismissive way of anything else.

When he took a break from presenting his talent was highlighted. Ian Johnstone was good but Michael Parkinson was terrible bemoaning the lack of film stars like he grew up with.
Even if he didn't like a movie you would know why and still be able to judge whether you'd like it or not.

A school friend of my brother when he went to university, had as a girlfriend one of Norman's daughters. According to him Barry was a lovely man who welcomed him into the family home, and didn't play the "I'm on the telly" card at all.

Cheers Barry

Same story here -

Halliwell's Film Guide
and Halliwell's Hundred, as well as good and cheerful people like Barry Norman (in Holland and Belgium: Jo Röpcke and Bob Bouma) opened up the world of the movies for me.

Leonard Maltin's huge paperback also was great. Lots of good TV movies reviewed in this book.

Later on, I moved on as well. Richard Roud's two-part encyclopedia of important directors I cherish to this day.

We get older, we get to know more, we refine our tastes, sure, but we need good teachers to begin the journey with in the first place.

Barry Norman R.I.P.
Last edited by Bride Of Sea Of Tunes on 02 Jul 2017, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Jul 2017, 15:35

Very fond memories. RIP Barry.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 01 Jul 2017, 15:37

K wrote:Is that real?

There's a shorter version

NMB

Postby NMB » 01 Jul 2017, 17:04

The Modernist wrote:that jazzy piano intro (Ramsey Lewis I think)

Billy Taylor isn't it?
turn on, tune in, nod off

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Jul 2017, 21:53

Good appreciations here and in line with my thoughts. Very much a formative influence in making me aware of film culture beyond the blockbusters, his Film 8-/9- really was require viewing. And, as has been said, his avuncular yet critical style is badly missed in these days of breathless entertainment news and genre fanboys.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 02 Jul 2017, 10:02

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 02 Jul 2017, 10:35

Thang-y wrote:This says it very well

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/say ... 18786.html

Thanks for posting, lovely tribute.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 02 Jul 2017, 10:36

(dp)

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Jul 2017, 11:24

so hold on - he stopped in 1998, nearly 20 years ago? it really feels like that can't be.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 03 Jul 2017, 14:11

The change from Barry to Jonathan was a sign that film was not going to be taken seriously (at all) any more.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 04 Jul 2017, 19:19

Did I dream it or did Donald and Davy Stott sing a film review song to the theme of film 89?
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!