Guitar appreciation thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 06 Sep 2017, 12:11

Six String wrote:A friend of mine has a ES-175 made n the late 70s or early 80s I forget but during Gibson's downturn so it isn't sought after and my friend doesn't even play it much anymore.

I've played a '58 ES-175. I was simultaneously elated and shiting myself.

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 06 Sep 2017, 12:18

I own a lot of guitars, at one point I had 45, under 30 now.
If I could only have one, it would have to be a Master Built Strat, built by John Cruz, I've played one, strung with 11s but played like it was strung with 9s, and it sounded like honey feels when it slowly slips down the throat. I have a Custom Shop Closet Classic, it's a fabulous guitar but the Master Built sounds better, not £3k better, but if I could only have one, that's what it would be.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17975
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Sep 2017, 19:01

45!? Wowzers, you're a true believer Boe. I had about 7 at my peak. Storing guitars is fine, its the guitar cases that are a pain in the arse to keep. Do you collect a specific kind, or do you have a guitar for every type of playing you do? And do you manage to actually play them all?

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 06 Sep 2017, 19:46

I just buy anything I fancy, I have 4 Strats and a Tele. Actually, I've built a nice collection of Japanese 70s/80s guitars, 2 El Maya neck thru Strats and a straight copy of an early 70s Strat, a '75 Yamaha SA 1,000, An '84 Burny L.P. copy, so good I got rid of my '81 L.P. Custom, a '71 SG not worth a lot because it's been butchered for adding a middle pickup, but it sounds like any other good SG. I got it some years back for 450 quid, a Bargain.
Tonight's jam session beckons. :)

Six String
Posts: 19933
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Six String » 06 Sep 2017, 22:19

I've never been much of a guitar collector and for about thirty years I only had one, a '67 Fender Telecaster I play through a '66 Fender Vibro Champ which I bought from the original owner in 1976. About ten years ago I bought a Taylor semi hollowbody with a Bigsby whammy bar (T3-B) and I added a ZT "Lunchbox" so I didn't have to risk my Champ at house parties. Taylor did some improvements with the Bigsby. You can yank that think till sundown and it stays in tune so I've become a big user of the whammy bar. When I bought the Tele it came with a goldplated Bigsby that the owner installed but I hated it because it would go out of tune if you looked at ot cross, so I never used it. I eventually had it tuned up and had the Bigsby removed. My acoustics are a Taylor 300 series (I forget which model) and an old Yamaha FG-160 dreadnought I bought new in 1973. I've never had anything done to that old Yamaha and it's been everywhere with me including a few plane trips and ot still sounds good to me. Someday I'd like to sell the Taylor acoustic and buy an older Martin but the Taylor sounds good and plays well.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3263
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Fonz » 07 Sep 2017, 07:23

I'm a pointy headstock type of guy.

Two Jems- a floral and a DNA
An EGEN-18 Herman Li- my main player.
RG-ART

A Tele copy- Yamaha 1511MS. This was my first good guitar. A beauty.

An Ovation electro-acoustic

A cheap Washburn acoustic

A weird Ibanez neck-through

A Yamaha 5 string bass

A seven string Ibanez baritone 1077XL

A cheap strat copy.


I was single and unhappy for a while. Guitars were my vice.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22534
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Deebank » 07 Sep 2017, 10:01

Boe Jaxter wrote:I just buy anything I fancy, I have 4 Strats and a Tele. Actually, I've built a nice collection of Japanese 70s/80s guitars, 2 El Maya neck thru Strats and a straight copy of an early 70s Strat, a '75 Yamaha SA 1,000, An '84 Burny L.P. copy, so good I got rid of my '81 L.P. Custom, a '71 SG not worth a lot because it's been butchered for adding a middle pickup, but it sounds like any other good SG. I got it some years back for 450 quid, a Bargain.
Tonight's jam session beckons. :)


Welcome back Joe

You have answered a question I was going to ask you there, sort of.

All this talk of '58 ES175s made me wonder whether I'd be able to tell the difference between some truly sought-after classic guitar and (say) a '70s Jap copy of the same - in terms of feel and sound (the badge would be a bit of a giveaway otherwise).

I suspect not... But I have always had a tin ear and am more interested in how they look - which is sadly more important as they spend much more time hanging on the wall gathering dust these days :cry:

My Ibanez Les Paul Professional copy is (fairly) widely reckoned to be better than the Gibson original.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 2293
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 07 Sep 2017, 10:22

My mate sent a photo last night of his son at his guitar lesson.
He was playing a guitar that his teacher had brought along, a 59 Tele that once belonged to Keef, which the teacher bought from Lee Mavers.

Which was nice.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22534
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Deebank » 07 Sep 2017, 11:50

Tom Waits For No One wrote:My mate sent a photo last night of his son at his guitar lesson.
He was playing a guitar that his teacher had brought along, a 59 Tele that once belonged to Keef, which the teacher bought from Lee Mavers.

Which was nice.


:lol:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 07 Sep 2017, 11:58

Deebank wrote:
Boe Jaxter wrote:I just buy anything I fancy, I have 4 Strats and a Tele. Actually, I've built a nice collection of Japanese 70s/80s guitars, 2 El Maya neck thru Strats and a straight copy of an early 70s Strat, a '75 Yamaha SA 1,000, An '84 Burny L.P. copy, so good I got rid of my '81 L.P. Custom, a '71 SG not worth a lot because it's been butchered for adding a middle pickup, but it sounds like any other good SG. I got it some years back for 450 quid, a Bargain.
Tonight's jam session beckons. :)


Welcome back Joe

You have answered a question I was going to ask you there, sort of.

All this talk of '58 ES175s made me wonder whether I'd be able to tell the difference between some truly sought-after classic guitar and (say) a '70s Jap copy of the same - in terms of feel and sound (the badge would be a bit of a giveaway otherwise).

I suspect not... But I have always had a tin ear and am more interested in how they look - which is sadly more important as they spend much more time hanging on the wall gathering dust these days :cry:

My Ibanez Les Paul Professional copy is (fairly) widely reckoned to be better than the Gibson original.

Cheers Maurice, I've played one of those Ibanez's, it was better than most Gibsons I've played, as is my Burny L.P.

My S.G. looks like it's been relic-ed by a chimp in a bad mood, but it's comfy to play and sounds amazing, even when I'm playing it.
I look after my guitars, so obviously looks are important, but for me, sound and playability are more important.

I still have the Epiphone Valve Junior that I got on your recommendation, I keep it in the shop for practicing when it's quiet, it's a great wee amp, and sounds incredible when hooked onto a big cabinet.

Some time ago, a guy on Mojo was raving about your guitar playing, he was told that you're a regular poster on here, I don't know if he joined.

Have you hear of JXG Guitars? I have one of his, (John Gill) guitars. He gets reclaimed timber from architectural salvage yards. Mine looks like a Les Paul, and is made from - body and neck are Honduras Mahogany, and the fretboard is Brazillian Rosewood and the top is east side maple. It's a stunning looking and sounding guitar.
I'll post some pictures when I can remember how to do it. :D

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17975
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Tactful Cactus » 07 Sep 2017, 13:55

Tom Waits For No One wrote:My mate sent a photo last night of his son at his guitar lesson.
He was playing a guitar that his teacher had brought along, a 59 Tele that once belonged to Keef. Which was nice.


:lol:
Ha! Would you let your child touch that guitar? Its probably had a wipe down since 1971

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22534
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Deebank » 07 Sep 2017, 17:32

Boe Jaxter wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Boe Jaxter wrote:I just buy anything I fancy, I have 4 Strats and a Tele. Actually, I've built a nice collection of Japanese 70s/80s guitars, 2 El Maya neck thru Strats and a straight copy of an early 70s Strat, a '75 Yamaha SA 1,000, An '84 Burny L.P. copy, so good I got rid of my '81 L.P. Custom, a '71 SG not worth a lot because it's been butchered for adding a middle pickup, but it sounds like any other good SG. I got it some years back for 450 quid, a Bargain.
Tonight's jam session beckons. :)


Welcome back Joe

You have answered a question I was going to ask you there, sort of.

All this talk of '58 ES175s made me wonder whether I'd be able to tell the difference between some truly sought-after classic guitar and (say) a '70s Jap copy of the same - in terms of feel and sound (the badge would be a bit of a giveaway otherwise).

I suspect not... But I have always had a tin ear and am more interested in how they look - which is sadly more important as they spend much more time hanging on the wall gathering dust these days :cry:

My Ibanez Les Paul Professional copy is (fairly) widely reckoned to be better than the Gibson original.

Cheers Maurice, I've played one of those Ibanez's, it was better than most Gibsons I've played, as is my Burny L.P.

My S.G. looks like it's been relic-ed by a chimp in a bad mood, but it's comfy to play and sounds amazing, even when I'm playing it.
I look after my guitars, so obviously looks are important, but for me, sound and playability are more important.

I still have the Epiphone Valve Junior that I got on your recommendation, I keep it in the shop for practicing when it's quiet, it's a great wee amp, and sounds incredible when hooked onto a big cabinet.

Some time ago, a guy on Mojo was raving about your guitar playing, he was told that you're a regular poster on here, I don't know if he joined.

Have you hear of JXG Guitars? I have one of his, (John Gill) guitars. He gets reclaimed timber from architectural salvage yards. Mine looks like a Les Paul, and is made from - body and neck are Honduras Mahogany, and the fretboard is Brazillian Rosewood and the top is east side maple. It's a stunning looking and sounding guitar.
I'll post some pictures when I can remember how to do it. :D


Good stuff.

I may get a new guitar soonish (despite being broke). I want an electric 12 string and with the price of a new Ric 360/12 at upwards of £3000 I'm looking at either a second hand one or something else. My mate Neil has had a couple of custom-built ones made for him (looking not unlike a Fender Electric XII) and they sound great, but I'm a bit sold on the Rickenbacker idea that a 12 should be strung with the bass string uppermost. I doubt I'll be able to afford one anyway - so it's all pipe dreams.

Not sure about your Mojo guy - maybe he had me confused with someone talented :lol:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 07 Sep 2017, 17:57

I'm sure Tokai do a "Rockingbetter" version of the ricky. I haven't played one - actually I've never played an electric 12 string - but I've heard good things about them.
I have a Takamine G Series 12 string which sounds infinitely better than a G Series 6 string I used to have, it's a beautiful sounding instrument.

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 09 Sep 2017, 12:04

I bought another guitar yesterday, me and my mate John F. headed to Wishaw (Scotland's murder capital) to check out Magnum Sound, a music shop which I hadn't seen in years. I tried a '96 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. Basically, it's a Les Paul Standard, built in the Custom Shop with a flamed maple top which, if it was on a PRS, would be a ten top. It's a beautiful sounding instrument, with most L.P.s I've played, the neck pickup can be a bit woolly, this one's as crisp as Ryvita, and for an L.P. it's not too heavy. The way it's set up - low action with just the slightest bit of buzz is no use to me, I do a lot of big string bends and wide vibrato. It's choking out with bends at the moment, my old pal Les will set it up for me next week. I'll stick up a few pictures later.
In other news, my Closet Classic Strat came strung and set up with 10/52s, the strings feel slightly tight. If it was my only guitar, I'd get used to it no bother, but I rotate my guitars so it's going to old Les too, to be strung and set up with 9s - like my other Strats. Guitar Porn later. :)

Joe Baxter
Posts: 79
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 10:22

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Joe Baxter » 09 Sep 2017, 12:36

What brand and gauge of strings do we use? Usually I have my Fender scale length with 9/42s, I got my Tele strung and set up with 10/46s. My Gibson scale length types are usually 10/46, with the aforementioned Closet Classic, and a wee Chinese Hamer AT which I got for a hundred quid, it's currently 10/52s. The Hamer will stay that way as it's set up for slide in open G. Mostly I play slide in standard tuning - I'm learning slide against the day when my fingers stop working.

I've been using D'Addario strings since the mid 90s, I like the bright tone and the feel of them. They used to be pretty cheap to buy ten sets at a time, but no more. I bought 3 sets of Rotosound Pinks for a tenner online, I'll see how I get on with them. I can still get D'Addario 10s for around 3 quid on eBay, but the 9s and 10/52s are over a fiver.

I have a 2002 PRS Single Cut which has a wrapover bridge which left the factory strung with 9s, the bridge has grooves to house the strings, and there's very little movement for adjusting intonation. I was going to change the bridge and put 10s on it, with 9s it's like playing with elastic bands. Given the new arrival, I'll probably sell it. 1250 should anyone be interested - if you want to haggle, it's 1350 quid. :)

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 7055
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 01 Oct 2017, 10:09

I'm saving up for... Something.

Played a Jaguar and a Gretsch Streamliner yesterday. Both very nice. I think I want a Bigsby tremelo

C'mon, friends, what shall I buy?
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22534
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Deebank » 01 Oct 2017, 15:25

Darryl Strawberry wrote:I'm saving up for... Something.

Played a Jaguar and a Gretsch Streamliner yesterday. Both very nice. I think I want a Bigsby tremelo

C'mon, friends, what shall I buy?


I have a Gretsch - a cheap one - with a Bigsby and I prefer the trem on my Jazzmaster - which is the same as on a Jag.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 7055
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 01 Oct 2017, 15:42

I've just ordered a gold coloured Gretsch Streamliner G2420T plus case.
Can't wait!
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!


User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22534
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Guitar appreciation thread

Postby Deebank » 01 Oct 2017, 19:03

Darryl Strawberry wrote:I've just ordered a gold coloured Gretsch Streamliner G2420T plus case.
Can't wait!


Nice

Although I prefer the double cutaway one.

What colour?
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro