Grenfell Tower Fire - London

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Grenfell Tower Fire - London

Postby Neige » 27 Jun 2017, 21:44

The Write Profile wrote:BBC Panorama's documentary about the Grenfell Tower Fire is as urgent and angry as you'd expect. Putting it all together in a week with information from so many different sources is an achievement in itself, but it's also remarkably straight and forceful.

Good journalism, very powerful and moving!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jun 2017, 11:16

So the Govt announce that Sir Ken Knight will chair an:

“independent expert advisory panel” to advise on new fire safety measures.

It has been pointed out that Knight advised the Government against retrofitting sprinklers to high rise residential buildings in his report on the Lakanal House fire in Camberwell, in which six people died.

He wrote: “It is not considered as practical or economically viable to make a requirement for the retrospective fitting of fire suppression systems to all current high-rise residential buildings.”

Scrapbook has also found that Knight was the author of a 2013 report which advocated £200 million worth of cuts to the fire service."

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/06/ ... -by-200m/#

That will help then.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 28 Jun 2017, 11:18

Diamond Dog wrote:
Scrapbook has also found that Knight was the author of a 2013 report which advocated £200 million worth of cuts to the fire service."

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/06/ ... -by-200m/#

That will help then.

Does anyone know what the average cost of such a report is? All those expert witness fees and "agreeable luncheons" must add up to a fair amount...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Jul 2017, 19:27

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 03 Jul 2017, 10:50

The council leader who last week "stepped aside" due to "perceived shortcomings" just underlines the arroganace and lack of common decency afflicting the people in charge of this shameful episode

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Jul 2017, 17:39

The Great Defector wrote:So, is this the builder's fault? architects? cladding makers? Where does the liability start and stop?

Initially with the Councillors who decided to save a few tens of thousands of pounds, ultimately with the political ideology of AUSTERITY, which is just a cover for removing money from poor people through cuts to benefits and to service provision in order to give money to the richest in society. In this case in a council tax rebate to the richest in the borough.

In both cases here the underlying factor is Conservative Party politicians and their wealth redistribution upwards.
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 08 Jul 2017, 11:24

I was pretty crushed to watch the BBC morning news today.

Firemen have spoken out, anonymously (I think).

The firefighters experienced grave and unforgivable problems in their attempts to take the appropriate action.

The main high ladder arrived half an hour to late. A critical delay, an expert said.

These heroes couldn't make proper radio contact while trying to extinguish the fires (inside the building, I gather?).

There were problems with the hoses. They weren't strong enough to allow for a free flow of water; moreover, the water pressure was too low.

The men had to inhale toxic fumes while trying to save lives (IIRC they encountered cyanide compounds).

If I understood all of this correctly, and I have no reason to think it's not true. then here we see the bankruptcy of a criminal political ideology.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Nick

Postby Nick » 10 Jul 2017, 10:05

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:The firefighters experienced grave and unforgivable problems in their attempts to take the appropriate action.

The main high ladder arrived half an hour to late. A critical delay, an expert said.

These heroes couldn't make proper radio contact while trying to extinguish the fires (inside the building, I gather?).

There were problems with the hoses. They weren't strong enough to allow for a free flow of water; moreover, the water pressure was too low.

The men had to inhale toxic fumes while trying to save lives (IIRC they encountered cyanide compounds).

If I understood all of this correctly, and I have no reason to think it's not true. then here we see the bankruptcy of a criminal political ideology.

What have those problems got to do with political ideology?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 10 Jul 2017, 11:19

Nick wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:The firefighters experienced grave and unforgivable problems in their attempts to take the appropriate action.

What have those problems got to do with political ideology?

Deregulation. Disregard for people's safety. Disregard for human life.

Because those in charge wanted to cut costs.

Nick

Postby Nick » 10 Jul 2017, 11:33

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Deregulation. Disregard for people's safety. Disregard for human life.

It's easy to make glib assertions like that, but do you have evidence that government policies contributed to or caused any of the problems you cited?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 10 Jul 2017, 12:24

Nick wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Deregulation. Disregard for people's safety. Disregard for human life.

It's easy to make glib assertions like that, but do you have evidence that government policies contributed to or caused any of the problems you cited?

I will look for these. I'm at work now, but it will be easy. I am certain about that.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 12 Jul 2017, 15:18

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 02 Nov 2017, 18:42

What a cunt.

Grenfell Tower fraudster admits making up family deaths

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-41844044

I think I remember channel 4 doing a show about a woman doing the same after 9/11.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 02 Nov 2017, 18:56

I just ordered this: