Roger Ailes Gone to that great Cable News Channel in the Sky

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Roger Ailes Gone to that great Cable News Channel in the Sky

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 May 2017, 17:44

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/busi ... .html?_r=0

He did invent the current form of current cable news, but I don't know if the mix where viewers don't know where reporting starts and opinion ends is that great. But people seem to watch it.

Edward R. Murrow did have his See It Now, where he ended the show with his view on topics, but the delineation was pretty true.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Charlie O.

Re: Roger Ailes Gone to that great Cable News Channel in the Sky

Postby Charlie O. » 18 May 2017, 17:50

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose immediate reaction was "he got off way too easy."

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 18 May 2017, 19:06

The dumbest decision was Murdoch agreeing to buy out Ailes for $40 million in July 2016 so that he would leave. If Murdoch had simply delayed and let Ailes try to sue him, he might have been able to save that amount.

It's not much of a legacy when your former employer wished you had died sooner rather than later.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 May 2017, 19:26

take5_d_shorterer wrote:The dumbest decision was Murdoch agreeing to buy out Ailes for $40 million in July 2016 so that he would leave. If Murdoch had simply delayed and let Ailes try to sue him, he might have been able to save that amount.

It's not much of a legacy when your former employer wished you had died sooner rather than later.

I tuned to Fox and Friends this morning to see how Fox was reporting it. They had a woman on the F&F couch bawling her eyes out while the hosts talked about Ailes.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 May 2017, 06:01

Matt Taibbi's blistering obituary is well worth reading in full. Once again, he stakes his claim as one of the sharpest political satirists around, and gets to the heart of what made Ailes such a horrible human being. To wit:
It's not that Trump isn't or shouldn't be frightening. But it's conspicuous that our media landscape is now a perfect Ailes-ian dystopia, cleaved into camps of captive audiences geeked up on terror and disgust. The more scared and hate-filled we are, the more advertising dollars come pouring in, on both sides.

Trump in many ways was a perfect Ailes product, merging as he did the properties of entertainment and news in a sociopathic programming package that, as CBS chief Les Moonves pointed out, was terrible for the country, but great for the bottom line.

And when Ailes died this morning, he left behind an America perfectly in his image, frightened out of its mind and pouring its money hand over fist into television companies, who are gleefully selling the unraveling of our political system as an entertainment product.

The extent to which we hate and fear each other now – that's not any one person's fault. But no one person was more at fault than Roger Ailes. He never had a soul to sell, so he sold ours. It may take 50 years or a century for us to recover. Even dictators rarely have that kind of impact. Enjoy the next life, you monster.

He was uncommonly powerful and influential, and my heart goes out to all the people he harassed and bullied into submission. A truly wretched piece of work.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 May 2017, 06:15

Good stuff, WP, thanks.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 May 2017, 06:18

Charlie O. wrote:Good stuff, WP, thanks.

No worries. Rolling Stone have been very good in covering the Fox News Network over the years, not least this thorough and prescient article. It really is a phenomenon in the media landscape: a network which was designed entirely in the creator's image, and led a race to the bottom that every other cable news network chose to follow. I couldn't hate it more.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Return to “Nextdoorland”