Trump qualities

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

Re: Trump qualities

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 18 May 2017, 20:43

Deebank wrote:
'O' wrote:I do honestly think, for all his bravado, that behind closed doors he's more likely to defer to other people, to delegate, than you might think. He's aware of his own limitations.

I don't think there has ever been anyone more ill equipped for the job than Trump.

He is so far out of his depth it is astonishing.

If he was aware of anything at all beyond his own colossal hubris we we wouldn't be in this perilous situation.

I have to agree with every single word you've written there.
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 18 May 2017, 22:41

Jimbo wrote:Like I said in the other thread I see him as an accidental winner of the election, like Chauncey Gardner. Instead of Gardner's quaint gardening references voters thought were pithy political metaphors, Trump spewed insults and off the cuff proclamations which were clearly inappropriate for the circumstance of a US presidential election but in the end he bettered HRC. At least Trump's dumb shit sounded real.

Now I see him as a Shakespearian tragic figure.

No. The tragic figure, and I hate to admit this, is Chris Christie.

There he was, acting like a buffoon, being a toady for Donald, and expecting to get a cabinet level position, a nice "exit strategy" in other words from his supposed ignorance of shutting down traffic in New Jersey.

Why didn't he get that job? Maybe it had something to do with successfully prosecuting Jared Kushner's father years ago and getting him in jail. Kushner's father, by the way, tried to blackmail his brother-in-law.

See http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/politics/ ... index.html

Okay, so Christie won the case. Jared thinks his father got a raw deal, but if the description on CNN's article has any accuracy, I would say that a 2 year sentence was quite light for the type of things that Charles Kushner did. Anyways, the end result is that Christie now has no where to go to now that he messed up on Bridge-Gate.

That's kind of beyond a bad character failing because of a tragic flaw. It's like a bad character failing because of the one thing he did that was right.

Somebody's going to make a novel or drama out of this.

Classic Rock Sneelock

Postby Classic Rock Sneelock » 18 May 2017, 23:06

A novel? I'd settle for a Tijuana Bible.
I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z.

Classic Rock Sneelock

Postby Classic Rock Sneelock » 18 May 2017, 23:06

eat my shorts.
(Double Post)
I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 May 2017, 23:09

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 May 2017, 23:14

If you hated the rich like we do you'd never have him as president. Think about that the next time you get all uppity about the British class system, chumps
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 May 2017, 23:40

Goat Boy wrote:If you hated the rich like we do you'd never have him as president. Think about that the next time you get all uppity about the British class system, chumps

We had a bunch of Eton clowns running the circus for 6 years though of course.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 May 2017, 23:45

Goat Boy wrote:If you hated the rich like we do you'd never have him as president. Think about that the next time you get all uppity about the British class system, chumps

We only love the rich because we'll be rich soon.
Any time now...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 19 May 2017, 00:02

This assumes that a citizen would have the opportunity in the first place to vote for or against an individual. In the case of the House of Lords, which seems the exemplify precisely that class system, there is no opportunity, as I understand the institution.

In the US, there are hereditary dynasties, which are powerful but also unofficial and are predicated on wealth. The idea of an "official" hereditary line of political power would strike most Americans are bizarre...

...except those who voted for the second Bush or the second Clinton.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 May 2017, 01:47

I don't think he wanted to be President. I think he wanted to win an election. Being President is just the prize...and he's not going to give up a prize he won, because dammit...it's his!

That's about how deep I think his thinking goes. I'd give him credit for more, but I see no evidence of it. Ever see his video appreciation of Citizen Kane?

That's about as much reflection I've seen him give anything...and it's pretty fucking shallow. At best, give him credit for having seen Citizen Kane.

Beyond that...just...nothing.

Mind you, I never disliked him until he ran. I thought it was hyperbole at first when everyone started talking about him as if he were a racist. But he sure leaned in to the role.

I'm sure he has some decent qualities. Everyone does. But he is a danger to us all in his current position. On top of that, he's creating a climate of chaos that cannot help but ultimately be destructive to our economy and our national security - and most importantly...to our ability to function as a nation after him.

I don't think he's evil. He's just tragically and dangerously banal. I won't wish ill on another human being, but I really wish he'd get the urge to sail off to a deserted island.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 May 2017, 02:55

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don't think he wanted to be President. I think he wanted to win an election. Being President is just the prize...and he's not going to give up a prize he won, because dammit...it's his!

There's that, but it's also his chance to strike down and deregulate everything that's keeping him and his rich pals from plundering and pocketing as much as they can. Let's not overlook that.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 May 2017, 03:16

As if he was paying taxes before.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2017, 08:52

Count Machuki wrote:

We only love the rich because we'll be rich soon.
Any time now...

It's coming baby, it's coming!

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2017, 09:01

take5_d_shorterer wrote:

This assumes that a citizen would have the opportunity in the first place to vote for or against an individual. In the case of the House of Lords, which seems the exemplify precisely that class system, there is no opportunity, as I understand the institution.

In the US, there are hereditary dynasties, which are powerful but also unofficial and are predicated on wealth. The idea of an "official" hereditary line of political power would strike most Americans are bizarre...

It wasn’t meant to be an entirely serious comment although it was meant to illustrate a cultural difference between how we perceive the rich and how Americans do.

Plus he’s loud, arrogant, brash, awful etc. Trump is like the stereotype of the American tourist I grew up with: baseball cap, bum-bag, chewing gum, rude to waitresses, complaining about customer service etc. He winds Brits up on a molecular level

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 19 May 2017, 09:06

Chevy Chase for president.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?

Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 19 May 2017, 09:16

Goat Boy wrote:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:

It wasn’t meant to be an entirely serious comment although it was meant to illustrate a cultural difference between how we perceive the rich and how Americans do.

Plus he’s loud, arrogant, brash, awful etc. Trump is like the stereotype of the American tourist I grew up with: baseball cap, bum-bag, chewing gum, rude to waitresses, complaining about customer service etc. He winds Brits up on a molecular level

speaks JUST THAT LITTLE BIT LOUDER THAN ANYONE WOULD NEED TO IN ANY SITUATION
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2017, 09:24

His teeth are too white as well.

He wouldn't stand a chance

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 May 2017, 09:31

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: He's just tragically and dangerously banal.

That's it. I don't think I could paraphrase Arendt's "the banality of evil" here properly, but there is something in his vulgarity and sheer inability to articulate anything of any real worth properly that is the danger.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 May 2017, 09:34

'O' wrote:speaks JUST THAT LITTLE BIT LOUDER THAN ANYONE WOULD NEED TO IN ANY SITUATION

I remember meeting a pair of middle aged American tourists in the Med somewhere on a ferry and they said in all in seriousness,

"Hey, did you know America is in the Bible? Noah looked out of the Ark and saw"

I thought it was a joke. I laughed. They didn't think that was funny.

It's that sort of cringeworthy appropriation of the world, being shoehorned into a narrow American worldview that sums up Trump to me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 May 2017, 09:40

Toby wrote:
'O' wrote:speaks JUST THAT LITTLE BIT LOUDER THAN ANYONE WOULD NEED TO IN ANY SITUATION

I remember meeting a pair of middle aged American tourists in the Med somewhere on a ferry and they said in all in seriousness,

"Hey, did you know America is in the Bible? Noah looked out of the Ark and saw"

I thought it was a joke. I laughed. They didn't think that was funny.

It's that sort of cringeworthy appropriation of the world, being shoehorned into a narrow American worldview that sums up Trump to me.

Lift To Experience built a whole concept LP around that sort of nonsense - The Texas-JerUSAlem Crossroads it was called.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Nextdoorland”