hell
No votes
s.i.b
57%

Total votes: 7

Rayge

How does your garden grow?

Postby Rayge » 14 May 2017, 21:54

First off, just ignore the poll. It's only there because threads with open-ended polls do not fall off the cliff in Nextdoorland: this is the fate that I presume befell Moddy's gardening thread, which I was going to resurrect, but could not find.
I have four reasons for starting it: one, because I actually do love gardening, find it a great form of creative expression, the source of a certain sense of connection with the long lines of peasants from whom I come, and love sharing the joy and surprise it brings me through posting photographs. Secondly, this is our last summer here in this garden I have created in the last six and a half years, so there's a certain sense of elegiacal imperative. Thirdly, Herself is off tomorrow on a jaunt round the capitals of Yurp for several weeks, and I want to keep her up to date with what's going on. And lastly, I really like hearing about other people's gardens, indoors and out, and experiences with plants, rather than their appalling taste in records. :|
Have at it
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 22:45

I come from a long line of gardeners; my forebears where head gardeners at Harewood House in Leeds, Chatsworth, Speke House and for the Rothschilds at Tring. My mother has a beautiful garden that is open to the public a few times a year when the The National Garden Society do their open days.

https://www.ngs.org.uk/find-a-garden/garden/32995/

My father maintains a lovely little garden full of colour and roses, both are pushing 80. Even Deebank has tried to show willing in the garden stakes to honour his heritage.

I wouldn't say I loathe it but I have no interest in planning and making a beautiful garden, luckily I now live 2 floors up with views through lime trees towards the Chilterns, far preferable.

I don't mind doing grunt work if directed but I have no interest in or skill at designing gardens, I do like looking at a lovely garden though.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Ragye

Postby Ragye » 05 Jun 2017, 16:26

Well, I did some photo editing and it's 40mph winds and driving rain outside, so I ran out of excuses. Photos in the garden from two or three weeks ago. The tulips are finishing and the adventitious hordes of forget-me-not are past their peak, so it's time for the irises to come forward and strut their stuff. Among others.

From Siberia, with Love

Art Nouveau

Rainbow Splashes

Proper Job
Large pinks with a lovely clove and vanilla scent, with undertones of black pepper. I've set the pot on a wall beside the steps up into the Glade,
so I can get a hooterful every time I go up them

Hidecote Blue
Handsome cultivar of comfrey that can be kept constrained in a pot

Pride of the Pond

Coming On

Fresh from the Shower

Mouth

On Guard
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end and each day dies with sleep

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Jun 2017, 17:34

Beautiful pics as usual Rayge. I enjoy your comments and photos of your garden. It must be a little bittersweet to be leaving a space you've put so much time and energy. At the same time I'm sure you'll be happy working a new space when the time comes.

My gardening is subdued relative to my usual as many here know I moved recently and I'm now renting instead of owning so I too have a new space to work. The problem is I moved here in mid spring and it took me almost a month to get to a point where I could spend a little time with the yard. The summers here are quite hot so it's mportant to get new plants in the ground by May depending on weather patterns so ot didn't give me a lot of time to plant. My State Fair Zinias are getting ready to bloom though I am beginning to think that they won't be as spectacular as they were at the old place due to a combination of sun exposure and soil condition. A large tree in the front creates some shade in the east facing front yard. The established hydrangeas are flowering bigtime though which is nice. My potted plants are responding well to the warmer weather and new home.

I managed to get a cherry tomato plant in a large pot and it is doing fabulous. I should be snacking on those little Sun Gold berries in a few weeks. Other than some basil and parsley that is probably all the edibles I'll be growing this summer. I should be ready by Autumn for more edibles.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Jun 2017, 18:35

Has your new Crediton gaff got a decent garden Ray?

As our house is new (ish) I haven't really done much apart from planting some wisterias and a few shrubs - as well as a fig tree Copehead gave one of our girls years ago which had been struggling in a pot for years.

Like Uncle Monty I only used to grow vegetables (you little traitors) and did really well for a few years. Very rewarding.

I have no veg patch now sadly ... and no sheds.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Ragye

Postby Ragye » 05 Jun 2017, 18:53

Deebank wrote:Has your new Crediton gaff got a decent garden Ray?

As our house is new (ish) I haven't really done much apart from planting some wisterias and a few shrubs - as well as a fig tree Copehead gave one of our girls years ago which had been struggling in a pot for years.

Like Uncle Monty I only used to grow vegetables (you little traitors) and did really well for a few years. Very rewarding.

I have no veg patch now sadly ... and no sheds.

We don't have a new one yet, Matt. I'm not sure what I want in the new house, to tell the truth. It will be nice to have some ground to play with, but something a bit smaller, and indeed flatter, than I have here, perhaps.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 05 Jun 2017, 19:30

Or indeed bigger. *cough*

Thanks for the photos, beautiful ... well, apart from the last one with the dog's arse. I'll see the real thing (the garden, not the arse. What am I saying? Like I get the choice.) on Saturday but I suspect I may have missed the best of those lovely irises by the pond :( Not to worry, that garden is bloomin' spectacular.

Don't forget to net the strawberries in good time. xx

Too early for the other fruit, obv.

Ragye

Postby Ragye » 06 Jun 2017, 13:43

Thang-y wrote: I may have missed the best of those lovely irises by the pond

Afraid so. They've gone over: the combination of sudden chill and wet we've had in the past week did for them.

But here's some more pics of the same vintage.

Peony

Mill Lane Blues
Centaureum – perennial cornflowers. They are having a wonderful time, growing so luxuriantly that they have flopped out to virtually fill the bed

North End

High Colours
Geum and columbines

Alien
Asphodel

Evening Shaft
A geum in the Owl and Badgers bed gets caught by the setting sun

Fancy Bonnet
a double columbine

Shining Forth
A Geranium sylvaticum album growing in a shady bed gets a rare moment in the sun

Shuttlecock and Hollyhock
(and hart's tongue, roses, campion, Knautia macedonica and a cast of thousands

Peak Iris
Unfortunately the lower buds did not get a chance to open before they were nipped by the cold and wet.

Ragye

Postby Ragye » 12 Jun 2017, 18:01

Dearie me, it's all getting a bit fractious in Ninnyland, isn't it?
Here's some pretty pictures from about two weeks ago to take our minds off it

not so much a fountain, more a hole in the hose

...and relax

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 12 Jun 2017, 18:21

I cultivate chillis.

When I'm retired i might cultivate something 'weed like' because I reckon I'll need it. Tinnitus, early arthritis, shit like that.
Just waiting for the law to catch up with science, and a life free of total responsibility.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."