hell
No votes
s.i.b
33%

Total votes: 3

Rayge

How does your garden grow?

Postby Rayge » 14 May 2017, 21:54

First off, just ignore the poll. It's only there because threads with open-ended polls do not fall off the cliff in Nextdoorland: this is the fate that I presume befell Moddy's gardening thread, which I was going to resurrect, but could not find.
I have four reasons for starting it: one, because I actually do love gardening, find it a great form of creative expression, the source of a certain sense of connection with the long lines of peasants from whom I come, and love sharing the joy and surprise it brings me through posting photographs. Secondly, this is our last summer here in this garden I have created in the last six and a half years, so there's a certain sense of elegiacal imperative. Thirdly, Herself is off tomorrow on a jaunt round the capitals of Yurp for several weeks, and I want to keep her up to date with what's going on. And lastly, I really like hearing about other people's gardens, indoors and out, and experiences with plants, rather than their appalling taste in records. :|
Have at it
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 22:45

I come from a long line of gardeners; my forebears where head gardeners at Harewood House in Leeds, Chatsworth, Speke House and for the Rothschilds at Tring. My mother has a beautiful garden that is open to the public a few times a year when the The National Garden Society do their open days.

https://www.ngs.org.uk/find-a-garden/garden/32995/

My father maintains a lovely little garden full of colour and roses, both are pushing 80. Even Deebank has tried to show willing in the garden stakes to honour his heritage.

I wouldn't say I loathe it but I have no interest in planning and making a beautiful garden, luckily I now live 2 floors up with views through lime trees towards the Chilterns, far preferable.

I don't mind doing grunt work if directed but I have no interest in or skill at designing gardens, I do like looking at a lovely garden though.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Nextdoorland”