How does your garden grow?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Gardening: Joy, Hell, something in between

joy
5
50%
hell
0
No votes
s.i.b
5
50%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14141
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

How does your garden grow?

Postby Rayge » 14 May 2017, 21:54

First off, just ignore the poll. It's only there because threads with open-ended polls do not fall off the cliff in Nextdoorland: this is the fate that I presume befell Moddy's gardening thread, which I was going to resurrect, but could not find.
I have four reasons for starting it: one, because I actually do love gardening, find it a great form of creative expression, the source of a certain sense of connection with the long lines of peasants from whom I come, and love sharing the joy and surprise it brings me through posting photographs. Secondly, this is our last summer here in this garden I have created in the last six and a half years, so there's a certain sense of elegiacal imperative. Thirdly, Herself is off tomorrow on a jaunt round the capitals of Yurp for several weeks, and I want to keep her up to date with what's going on. And lastly, I really like hearing about other people's gardens, indoors and out, and experiences with plants, rather than their appalling taste in records. :|
Have at it
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24452
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 22:45

I come from a long line of gardeners; my forebears where head gardeners at Harewood House in Leeds, Chatsworth, Speke House and for the Rothschilds at Tring. My mother has a beautiful garden that is open to the public a few times a year when the The National Garden Society do their open days.

https://www.ngs.org.uk/find-a-garden/garden/32995/

My father maintains a lovely little garden full of colour and roses, both are pushing 80. Even Deebank has tried to show willing in the garden stakes to honour his heritage.

I wouldn't say I loathe it but I have no interest in planning and making a beautiful garden, luckily I now live 2 floors up with views through lime trees towards the Chilterns, far preferable.

I don't mind doing grunt work if directed but I have no interest in or skill at designing gardens, I do like looking at a lovely garden though.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Modesty Forbids
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Modesty Forbids » 05 Jun 2017, 16:26

Well, I did some photo editing and it's 40mph winds and driving rain outside, so I ran out of excuses. Photos in the garden from two or three weeks ago. The tulips are finishing and the adventitious hordes of forget-me-not are past their peak, so it's time for the irises to come forward and strut their stuff. Among others.

Image
From Siberia, with Love

Image
Art Nouveau

Image
Rainbow Splashes

Image
Proper Job
Large pinks with a lovely clove and vanilla scent, with undertones of black pepper. I've set the pot on a wall beside the steps up into the Glade,
so I can get a hooterful every time I go up them

Image
Hidecote Blue
Handsome cultivar of comfrey that can be kept constrained in a pot

Image
Pride of the Pond

Image
Coming On

Image
Fresh from the Shower

Image
Mouth

Image
On Guard
once an adman, always a cunt


all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

Six String
Posts: 20353
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Six String » 05 Jun 2017, 17:34

Beautiful pics as usual Rayge. I enjoy your comments and photos of your garden. It must be a little bittersweet to be leaving a space you've put so much time and energy. At the same time I'm sure you'll be happy working a new space when the time comes.

My gardening is subdued relative to my usual as many here know I moved recently and I'm now renting instead of owning so I too have a new space to work. The problem is I moved here in mid spring and it took me almost a month to get to a point where I could spend a little time with the yard. The summers here are quite hot so it's mportant to get new plants in the ground by May depending on weather patterns so ot didn't give me a lot of time to plant. My State Fair Zinias are getting ready to bloom though I am beginning to think that they won't be as spectacular as they were at the old place due to a combination of sun exposure and soil condition. A large tree in the front creates some shade in the east facing front yard. The established hydrangeas are flowering bigtime though which is nice. My potted plants are responding well to the warmer weather and new home.

I managed to get a cherry tomato plant in a large pot and it is doing fabulous. I should be snacking on those little Sun Gold berries in a few weeks. Other than some basil and parsley that is probably all the edibles I'll be growing this summer. I should be ready by Autumn for more edibles.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23661
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Deebank » 05 Jun 2017, 18:35

Has your new Crediton gaff got a decent garden Ray?

As our house is new (ish) I haven't really done much apart from planting some wisterias and a few shrubs - as well as a fig tree Copehead gave one of our girls years ago which had been struggling in a pot for years.

Like Uncle Monty I only used to grow vegetables (you little traitors) and did really well for a few years. Very rewarding.

I have no veg patch now sadly ... and no sheds.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Modesty Forbids
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Modesty Forbids » 05 Jun 2017, 18:53

Deebank wrote:Has your new Crediton gaff got a decent garden Ray?

As our house is new (ish) I haven't really done much apart from planting some wisterias and a few shrubs - as well as a fig tree Copehead gave one of our girls years ago which had been struggling in a pot for years.

Like Uncle Monty I only used to grow vegetables (you little traitors) and did really well for a few years. Very rewarding.

I have no veg patch now sadly ... and no sheds.


We don't have a new one yet, Matt. I'm not sure what I want in the new house, to tell the truth. It will be nice to have some ground to play with, but something a bit smaller, and indeed flatter, than I have here, perhaps.
once an adman, always a cunt


all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

Thang-y

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Thang-y » 05 Jun 2017, 19:30

Or indeed bigger. *cough*

Thanks for the photos, beautiful ... well, apart from the last one with the dog's arse. I'll see the real thing (the garden, not the arse. What am I saying? Like I get the choice.) on Saturday but I suspect I may have missed the best of those lovely irises by the pond :( Not to worry, that garden is bloomin' spectacular.

Don't forget to net the strawberries in good time. xx

Too early for the other fruit, obv.

User avatar
Modesty Forbids
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Modesty Forbids » 06 Jun 2017, 13:43

Thang-y wrote: I may have missed the best of those lovely irises by the pond


Afraid so. They've gone over: the combination of sudden chill and wet we've had in the past week did for them.

But here's some more pics of the same vintage.

Image
Peony

Image
Image
Mill Lane Blues
Centaureum – perennial cornflowers. They are having a wonderful time, growing so luxuriantly that they have flopped out to virtually fill the bed

Image
North End

Image
High Colours
Geum and columbines

Image
Alien
Asphodel

Image
Evening Shaft
A geum in the Owl and Badgers bed gets caught by the setting sun

Image
Fancy Bonnet
a double columbine

Image
Image
Shining Forth
A Geranium sylvaticum album growing in a shady bed gets a rare moment in the sun

Image
Shuttlecock and Hollyhock
(and hart's tongue, roses, campion, Knautia macedonica and a cast of thousands

Image
Peak Iris
Unfortunately the lower buds did not get a chance to open before they were nipped by the cold and wet.
once an adman, always a cunt


all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

User avatar
Modesty Forbids
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Modesty Forbids » 12 Jun 2017, 18:01

Dearie me, it's all getting a bit fractious in Ninnyland, isn't it?
Here's some pretty pictures from about two weeks ago to take our minds off it

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
not so much a fountain, more a hole in the hose

Image

Image

Image

...and relax
once an adman, always a cunt


all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3805
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Fonz » 12 Jun 2017, 18:21

I cultivate chillis.

When I'm retired i might cultivate something 'weed like' because I reckon I'll need it. Tinnitus, early arthritis, shit like that.
Just waiting for the law to catch up with science, and a life free of total responsibility.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4747
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby NMB » 23 Apr 2019, 14:45

Minnie, is this the thread you were after?
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30378
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Apr 2019, 14:50

Yes!!!!!
But I put ‘garden’ in the search engine and this thread wasn’t on it!
Cheers!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30378
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Apr 2019, 02:34

I can't pretend to know anything about gardening but I do know that the "rule book" that my Dad may have pointed me in the direction of bears no weight here in Texas. My Dad is a stunning cultivator of gorgeous gardens, and grows things that I can't dream of here. Now we have a house of our own (as opposed to renting) we are just watching what there is and what may pop up without our intervention. We didn't move in till June last year so we've had nearly a year to watch the garden change.

Our front garden has a lawn, a few trees and some shrubs and flowers. The previous owner put a load of black mulch on the soil when we came to view the house which did look quite wonderful but we've let it drift. Around the front lawn are cedar sage:

Image

They smell amazing, look great in small jars in the house and add a real shock of colour.

We also have Jerusalem sage

Image

The flowers of which smell gorgeous. We have various cacti and one that is going crazy with new shoots, all pink and purple. The front of the pavement which has our mailbox has a huge rosemary bush and there are rose bushes dotted everywhere, magenta and red. We have really done so little maintenance on the front yard except a good pruning after the last frost that I find it hard to believe that anything has grown back so spectacularly.

Our back garden is still a work in progress. We have done very little to it except keep a couple of compost pots on the boil, put up some hanging feeders in the trees and shoved a couple of tables and chair outside. The two raised beds are growing what I think are plants from the birdseed and are full of nothing else but critter shit, so I can safely assume that there are no carrot crops waiting to burst forth. I do want to plant some things, so we need to start looking at that. We have what I think are two fruit trees by the greenhouse but I don't know what kind they are. The tree has started growing orange blooms and I think it may be a pomegranate tree

Image

The oak that bows over the back porch and the adjacent fencing that creates a sort of "dog run" which gives us space between us and our neighbours has jasmine growing all along the fencing and up and round the tree. It smells wonderful at the moment, I wish it would last.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13977
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Nolamike » 15 May 2019, 19:50

When we bought our house, about 18 months ago, the garden may have been the biggest selling point. It's filled with mature fruit trees - grapefruit (we got nearly 1,000 this winter), Meyer lemons (three trees worth), oranges, kumquats, loquats, a few peach trees, a pear tree, a pomegranate tree, a fig tree (which gave us about 40 pounds worth last year), grape vines, and two gigantic vegetable beds in which we've been growing lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and more. We're planning on adding a couple blueberry bushes, a plantain tree, and *maybe* an avocado tree.

There are decorative beds as well, but nothing too fancy - we have a huge amount of wisteria, some jasmine, New Orleans roses, and a butterfly garden, plus some hibiscus up front.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 7395
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby John aka Josh » 15 May 2019, 21:17

Nolamike wrote:When we bought our house, about 18 months ago, the garden may have been the biggest selling point. It's filled with mature fruit trees - grapefruit (we got nearly 1,000 this winter), Meyer lemons (three trees worth), oranges, kumquats, loquats, a few peach trees, a pear tree, a pomegranate tree, a fig tree (which gave us about 40 pounds worth last year), grape vines, and two gigantic vegetable beds in which we've been growing lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and more. We're planning on adding a couple blueberry bushes, a plantain tree, and *maybe* an avocado tree.

There are decorative beds as well, but nothing too fancy - we have a huge amount of wisteria, some jasmine, New Orleans roses, and a butterfly garden, plus some hibiscus up front.






Wow.

Sounds fantastic, I am glad I'm not prone to jealousy. New Orleans roses - are these old varieties not commonly grown outside of New Orleans? I'm not passionate about roses but am interested in them. A quick google didn't really help, even a look at a Gulf Rose Society website didn't make it clear.
Image

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13977
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Nolamike » 15 May 2019, 22:03

John aka Josh wrote:
Nolamike wrote:When we bought our house, about 18 months ago, the garden may have been the biggest selling point. It's filled with mature fruit trees - grapefruit (we got nearly 1,000 this winter), Meyer lemons (three trees worth), oranges, kumquats, loquats, a few peach trees, a pear tree, a pomegranate tree, a fig tree (which gave us about 40 pounds worth last year), grape vines, and two gigantic vegetable beds in which we've been growing lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and more. We're planning on adding a couple blueberry bushes, a plantain tree, and *maybe* an avocado tree.

There are decorative beds as well, but nothing too fancy - we have a huge amount of wisteria, some jasmine, New Orleans roses, and a butterfly garden, plus some hibiscus up front.






Wow.

Sounds fantastic, I am glad I'm not prone to jealousy. New Orleans roses - are these old varieties not commonly grown outside of New Orleans? I'm not passionate about roses but am interested in them. A quick google didn't really help, even a look at a Gulf Rose Society website didn't make it clear.


Hmmm... they may be known by another name! They're relatively small flowers, but the bush (well, it's been trimmed and trained into becoming more like a vine) has gotten quite large. It runs up one supporting post of our pergola, and fans out over the top. I need to add some lattice across the beams, to keep the roses up on top and out of the way of the fan (and to provide some extra shade). I'll take a picture when I get home.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 7395
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby John aka Josh » 19 May 2019, 00:10

Nolamike wrote:Hmmm... they may be known by another name! They're relatively small flowers, but the bush (well, it's been trimmed and trained into becoming more like a vine) has gotten quite large. It runs up one supporting post of our pergola, and fans out over the top. I need to add some lattice across the beams, to keep the roses up on top and out of the way of the fan (and to provide some extra shade). I'll take a picture when I get home.




Look forward to seeing the photo.
Image

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 16198
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Loki » 12 Jun 2019, 16:23

i'm growing some herbs this year. Parsley, purple basil, rosemary, kale, cilantro, lemon thyme.....

My landlord is trying to grow pot, which he knows nothing about. It's funny.

Oh and we transplanted some raspberry plants. They grow wild at his other house.
Image


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 7395
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby John aka Josh » 12 Jun 2019, 21:01

Loki wrote:i'm growing some herbs this year. Parsley, purple basil, rosemary, kale, cilantro, lemon thyme.....

My landlord is trying to grow pot, which he knows nothing about. It's funny.

Oh and we transplanted some raspberry plants. They grow wild at his other house.





Chives.

You must have chives. Scrambled eggs with chives mixed in is divine.

Garlic chives are great too.



I'm growing some lemon balm for the first time this year, smelling good though I haven't started harvesting yet. May the Sun shine on you and the 'erbs.
Image

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 16198
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Loki » 12 Jun 2019, 22:01

John aka Josh wrote:
Loki wrote:i'm growing some herbs this year. Parsley, purple basil, rosemary, kale, cilantro, lemon thyme.....

My landlord is trying to grow pot, which he knows nothing about. It's funny.

Oh and we transplanted some raspberry plants. They grow wild at his other house.





Chives.

You must have chives. Scrambled eggs with chives mixed in is divine.

Garlic chives are great too.


Ooooo yes, I should get some chives. I think there's some what you call garlic chives growing wild in the yard. He says they taste like onion but to me they taste more like garlic - hence the name, I reckon!



I'm growing some lemon balm for the first time this year, smelling good though I haven't started harvesting yet. May the Sun shine on you and the 'erbs.


Thanx! Same to ya. :)
Image


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.